Silvio 2.0 Build Questions

Ivan

Guru
image(28).jpg
I am building up Silvio 2.0 and have some questions I hope John or Doug can help answer:

1. Stem - the PDF instructions for Silvio 1.5 indicate there are two headset spacers, but I could only find one in my pack. When I tighten the stem cap all the way, it does not meet the spacers by a tiny 0.5mm or so. This I have a little play in the headset. Am I doing something wrong?

2. The front carbon chainstay seems to have quality control issues. The carbon weave on one side (bottom left if assembled) is not smoothly laid. I am trying to attach a picture. The imperfections you see are not reflections, it is the carbon weave under the clear coat. Aesthetically it is not good. What about functionality? What should I
do?

image(27).jpg

I will write build notes after I resolve some of these issues. Thanks!

Ivan

Guru
For those who are eagerly

image(29).jpg
For those who are eagerly anticipating Silvio 2.0 here is a close up of the rear suspension. It is beautiful and slightly different from 1.5 due to the Vendetta-like angle of the stays.

unc99

Ivan, I don't have the

Ivan, I don't have the answers to your questions but thanks for starting this thread as you have answered two of my questions (mine just arrived too) and I'm sure a thread like this will be helpful to others as well. First, it sounds like you are proceeding with the 1.5 assembly manual, which I have started doing as well. Second, the rear seat stay on the 2.0 is below the bolt-on to the seat frame, while it is above the bolt-on for the 1.5. This means you need to reverse the direction of the suspension link from the pictures in the 1.5 manual (this is ultimately pretty easy to figure out but thought I would save others from making the same fixable mistake I did when proceeding after looking only at the manual).

unc99

Ivan, how did you install the

Ivan, how did you install the suspunsion link plate/frame link plate to the rear of the seat frame? Did your seat frame have 4 threaded holes to accept the bolts?

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
On the Quest, I found 2 round

On the Quest, I found 2 round adhesive covers over the top shock mount bracket holes to protect them from getting pain inside them. At first I thought they forgot to drill the holes but then noticed the small round ridge and peeled the protective cover off.

Is this covering on the Silvio suspension plate frame mount holes a large rectangle rather than the small round shape I found on the Quest?

The revised suspension on the new Silvio looks really cool.

-Eric

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Our frame builder lays the paint on pretty thick...

... which is a good thing for paint durability, but tends to hide some of the smaller threaded holes.

Also, you may find that you need to remove some paint on the insides of the dropouts to allow the axles to enter and leave the dropouts easily. We prefer to make the dropouts to correct size and risk the paint interfering, rather than oversizing the holes in the dropouts and counting on the paint being the "right" thickness.

If you run into any issues, please contact us.

unc99

Thanks Doug, Eric and

Thanks Doug, Eric and Ivan---yes, on mine it was just a piece of painted film covering the holes--after picking at a corner, I was able to peel the the film/tape off. Thanks again.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
about the carbon stays...

Hi Ivan. I do not believe there is any structural issue with the carbon stay you shown us. I have a series 1.0 Silvio and have the same "irregularities" in the carbon weave. Also, I have a set of carbon cranks which have similar irregularities. To me, these is perfectly acceptable. As I understand, in most cases the carbon weave you see is more of an aesthethic element and is not indicative of the underlying structural integrity. Personally, I prefer the random non-directional look of carbon (look at Campagnolo's carbon cranksets), but and industry standard is to have the woven look under a thick layer of clear.

unc99

Ivan, after working on my

Ivan, after working on my build, I have some feedback on your two questions. First, my chain stays also exhibit some "stretched" weaving as in your pictures. Also just noticed this on my Silvio 1.0. Until I hear otherwise, I am going to presume it is not an issue. Not really noticeable once the full bike is assembled.

Second, I just installed the headset, pivot clamp and steering tube. Like you, I only received one headset spacer, and it looks to be 5mm. Here is a picture of how I have it installed. After tightening the top cap, I can still somewhat move the pivot clamp (but it rubs a bit), which seems to be the issue you are having. I think the 1.5 assembly manual mentions that this should be the case as it will still need to be lined up with the front triangle in future steps?

headset.jpg

Ivan

Guru
Carbon: I have come to the

Carbon: I have come to the same conclusion about the carbon chainstay. Closer look at the 2.0 pictures show similar. I guess the manufacturers may have a hard time getting the weave all nice and smooth on such an object. I am a tiny bit but disappointed but not much. My carbon DF bikes that had clear lacquer would not exhibit such a cosmetic anomaly but that is on the larger smoother surfaces of the frame body.

Stem: thanks for the pic. I have mine that way but tightening the top bolt on the stem cap doesn't result in compressing the headset, so I get vertical play of about 1mm which can't be good. Does yours have vertical play at all?

Progress this far, showing my approx riding position for me at 1.75m. I am pleased with the 100mm chainstay extension resulting in a Vendetta-like angle if the boom. This was something I was going for.

image(31).jpg

Ivan

Guru
Here is a close up of my stem

Here is a close up of my stem and you can see the 1mm space that I can't get rid of. I don't have a caliper, but as best I can see, my spacer is 4mm. Unc99 says his is 5mm but it could be just our measurement error as pics looks the same except for my 1mm gap! What could I be doing wrong?

image(32).jpg

unc99

Ivan, you definitely have a

Ivan, you definitely have a little more space than I do. My pivot clamp still moves side to side after tightening the top cap (which means it is not too firmly pressed down), but I don't really have visible space to move it up or down. My reference to having a 5mm spacer was an approximation as I don't have a metric ruler handy. From the looks of it, we have the same size spacers.

I like the looks of that chainstay extension.

Lavs

Rear Shock Installation?

Thanks for creating this Silvio 2.0 Build thread.
1) I had the same "issue" with the threads being covered with paint,... you helped.
2) My Suspension link holes didn't line up with the holes in the frame, so I just filed them out (on the link not frame).
3) Is there a 2.0 build manual around some place (PDF?),... working of the 1.5 PDFs

? how is the rear rubber "shock bumper" installed into the frame? Is it just inserted into the threaded "hole" in the frame and held by friction? I don't have any parts that look to attach it.

?? since that "hole" is threaded, it seems to me that the part that has two holes and is currently threaded into the frame, should maybe thread in to adjust the placement of the "bumper" ?

Any pictures of this part of the install?

thanks

Lavs

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Stem cap clearance

When the headset bearing "stack" is assembled, dimensional variations from all the pieces combine. Add to this a small amount of manufacturing variation in the fork construction, and we get what you're seeing here.

The solution is to add a 3mm spacer on top of the 5mm spacer supplied.

The quick fix: go to your local bike shop, which will generally stock these spacers; they may even have one in the "junk parts" box they'll let go of for next to nothing. We can reimburse you for the expense, but it won't be much.

The longer fix: we can ship you a spacer. Sourcing and shipping will take a few days.

These are standard parts. Aluminum spacers are recommended. Carbon and poly-plastic ones are not.

http://www.amazon.com/FSA-Headset-Spacer-Aluminum-3mm/dp/B004S8XQZG

Please let us know if this causes any difficulty. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,

Doug

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Rear elastomer spring

The disc that is threaded into the spring "port" is used to adjust the spring preload. Turn it in or out to slightly change the ride height and to adjust the working compression distance and the "softness" of the rear suspension.

Since the elastomer fits down into the port and is trapped by the rear fork "landing pad", there is no other attachment required; the elastomer will stay where it's supposed to when the suspension assembly is complete.

Best,

Doug

unc99

Question for anyone---I am at

Question for anyone---I am at the point of trying to attach the ring clamps on the FD stem to the boom, but the clamps are wider than the boom. Do you have to use an external bottom bracket and then clamp the ring clamps to the bottom bracket instead of the boom as with Silvio 1.0? Does it still require a 115MM bottom bracket?

Ivan

Guru
STEM CAP

Thanks Doug, that helps. I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong as this is the first time I am assembling a new stem having only taken off existing ones before. I will go look at my local LBS. Preparing for the stares when I show up with this frame! :O

Alternatively, would be okay if I used my dremel to shave down the fork steer tube? I only need to take 2mm off. It's aluminium right, so should come off quite easily...

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
@Jeremy - Does the

@Jeremy - Does the chainstay component have a definite top and bottom? If not maybe the holes were drilled with it flipped over?

@unc99 - The Silvio bottom bracket assembly is pretty much like the Vendetta except parts of it bolt together instead of being a welded unit. See the bottom bracket section of my Vendetta build for pictures and comments.

-Eric

Ivan

Guru
Unc99, Yes, it only installs

Unc99, Yes, it only installs with the bottom bracket and the ring clamps fit on the BB and not the boom. I am not sure of required specs of the BB, as I got all my parts from Cruzbike.