Silvio 2.0 Build Questions

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hmmm, you might want to

Hmmm, you might want to consider relieving the end of the compression slot by stop drilling just past it and then extending the slot into the stop drill. The hole diameter should be a bit larger than your slot.

Ideally all edges should be very smooth and nick free.

Here is how it looks on the Vendetta:

alt="Relieved compression slot"

-Eric

Lavs

Slider Slot

Good idea about drilling out the end to relieve stresses. The slot I made is clean and straight, I think you might be seeing variable shine off the raw aluminum.

BentBierz

Eric is absolutely correct

Eric is absolutely correct about stress relieving. As a vessel inspector for many years it is common practice to relieve stresses in various different ways when working with metal. It may not be entirely obvious but the round hole prevents a crack from propagating from sharp corners. Although your slot is slightly rounded at the end, a bigger radius hole will help prevent any cracks once your frame starts working.

BTW...congrats on your new bike!

Ivan

Guru
Seat Pan Tweaks

I chose to shape the seat pan by taking a bit of fibreglass from the front "lip" of the seat and glued a small piece of inner tube on it. In this manner it matches the cross-sectional curvature of the frame. I also made washers using a folded piece of inner tube, consisting of 2 layers of latex/rubber. I tried 4 layers but it was too much. I seem to have a good solid fit on the frame now as all points are now in contact with the main frame.

photo(3).JPG

Ivan

Guru
Bottle Cage Location

When I bought Silvio, I also got the bottle cages along with it as the description on the page says that there are attachments to the seat. However, this obviously referred to the 1.0 aluminium seat and the fiberglass seat has no such attachment points. Hmmm... 2 bottle cages and nowhere to put them. What do you all think of the possibility of drilling holes and mounting the bottle cages to the seat back as per Silvio 1.0? Will the fiberglass take the stresses?

WEBSITE UPDATE SUGGESTION: The Silvio page should remove the bottle cages and the descriptions if there are no mount points on the Silvio. Also, the description "carbon seat" is misleading as it leads one to assume it is a full carbon seat when it is in fact fiberglass with a carbon upper layer.

On my 1.5, I found the water

On my 1.5, I found the water bottles behind the seat difficult to reach. I much prefer the rack/bag combo in the back, with a camelbak bladder inside. I think my Bachetta Brain Box support would also work on a Silvio. It is inexpensive and easy to build so maybe worth a try.

http://cruzbike.com/another-brain-box-mount-vendetta

Ivan

Guru
Bottle Cage

Thanks John. After testing positions, I can't reach around to the seat back either! I tried mounting a bottle cage to the headrest rails. This looks really nice with two water bottles positioned behind your shoulder, but my shoulder range of motion is below par, so I can take the bottle out but not put it back in!! I am trying to stick with bottles and not go the water bladder/brain box route but I am
am not sure how. I think I saw someone put the bottles in cages under the seat pan, Si I considering this option. Anyway, I just completed the build and am still learning to ride it!

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Ivan, first learn to ride it.

Ivan, first learn to ride it. Once you have good balance and control it's easier to decide the best place for the water bottle. Right now your judgment may be clouded by your lack of control and balance.

On my bike, I can ride hands free and with that I have various options to reach for a water bottle. At the moment it is behind my seat back pan. It feels a little awkward though. In the future I will try mounting one under my seat pan.

On a Silvio-2.0 and the Vendetta it looks like you can mount one under the boom just below the handlebar. That will however add weight to the steering.

However a camelback seems the most logical option for all cruzbike models.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Ivan, first learn to ride it.

Ivan, first learn to ride it. Once you have good balance and control it's easier to decide the best place for the water bottle. Right now your judgment may be clouded by your lack of control and balance.

On my bike, I can ride hands free and with that I have various options to reach for a water bottle. At the moment it is behind my seat back pan. It feels a little awkward though. In the future I will try mounting one under my seat pan.

On a Silvio-2.0 and the Vendetta it looks like you can mount one under the boom just below the handlebar. That will however add weight to the steering.

However a camelback seems the most logical option for all cruzbike models.

Again, Ak-tux nails it. I use a camelbak for my Cruzbikes and after getting used to it, I wouldn't want to ride without it for anything more than 15 miles at a shot. Ivan, once you become more comfortable on the bike, you'll see what possibilities you have open to you.

Two things of note:
1) I

Two things of note:

1) I wouldn't recommend water on the boom. This not only adds more weight to the steering body but it is loose, fluid weight. When your quickly changing the wheel direction during tricky maneuvers the dynamics of the water in the water bottle may be too much to control giving weird, unexpected feedback through your steering.

2) Don't make it necessary to be hands-free to get your water. When you're riding up a long ascent, your tired and hot, riding hands-free long enough to grab a bottle would be a real challenge.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Further up the thread Jeremy

Further up the thread Jeremy asked " I'm not sure how to orient the rear elastomer spring. Which way should it go?" Undestand the discussion about threading and windex etc, but I dont see where the question was answered as to which end goes into the frame (small or larger). Also the aluminum disc that adjusts the elastomer has a rounded side and a flat side. Which side faces the elastomer? Thanks.

Jeremy S

Dude
Hardy, the answer about the

Hardy, the answer about the elastomer seems to be that it can go either way. The official/correct way seems to be with the wider end facing up/into the frame, and the narrower end facing down/plugged into the plastic disc underneath it. However John has suggested to me that the elastomer will fit into the frame more easily and be easier to adjust the other way around, so that's how I have it now.

About the adjustment disc, mine came installed with the curved side bulging downward (against the elastomer) / concave side facing up, but I don't know if that's actually correct.

Ivan

Guru
You can see the orientation

You can see the orientation of my elastomer spring here. This way the parts fit together like hand in glove with protrusions and recesses in the right places. This pic is in my build post.

IMG_1859.JPG