Silvio 2.0 disc hubs

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Okay, I admit it.

1. I'm a tease.

2. My phone camera stinks even more since I updated the operating system.

What you see here is a Silvio 2.0 with essentially a Quest 2.0 braking system.

IMAG0108.jpg

Avid BB5 Road calipers, 160mm front disc, 140mm rear disc, Shimano 105 brifters (I have Ultegra brifters; the 105's were already installed on the WTB bars, and they're functionally equivalent), Deore M591 derailleur (for the big cassette) and a SRAM PG 1030 11/36 cassette (these wheels are off of my Sofrider CityBike, and the bloody 9sp 11/34 cassette is STUCK on.)

29'er wheels with Shimano M525 hubs and Mavic A517 rims (135mm front, 100mm rear)

The frame got here a day late (thanks, USPS!) and I'm leaving with the family for vacation tomorrow. Tough decision: take my customized Quest 1.0, which is all up and turn key, or take the S2.0 and finish building it at the beach, risking the ingominity of having to rent a DF if I get hung and can't complete it?

IMAG0113.jpg

The 135mm hub went into the dropouts easily enough. Insert one axle side, press the other with your thumb, and boop, it's in. I have no worries about being able to change a flat on the road, for instance. The only issue is the QR needs to be replaced with a tandem (140mm OLD) QR. Other than that, everything seems to line up okay. The calipers align fine using the business card method.

IMAG0116.jpg

So these are $49USD hubs. Lots of spokes to resist the twisting FWD MBB imparts to the wheels.

So maybe mega-dollar 130mm disc hubs made from unobtainium aren't necessary.

I'll update again when the bike is finished and riding, if the WIFI at the beach house cooperates.

Best,

Doug

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I am loving this bike with

I am loving this bike with disc brakes. It's exactly what I would spec if I was building one. I'd be tempted to take it to the beach and finish it, but my family might have something to say about that.

Ivan

Guru
Handlebars

Those look like regular road handlebars and not the type that usually come with SIlvio 2.0 -- I'd be interested to hear how that works out with any possible leg strike as knees may waver to the side...

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Rohloff

Hi Larry,

Since the Rohloff hub is offered with a QR option, I cautiously think it will work.

I'm researching it now.

I'm using a Quest 2.0 Dualdrive hub to simulate the size of a Rohloff hub.

The remaining questions are about the torque arm and shifter.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
WTB mountain road handlebars

Hi Ivan,

Being short, I need extra longitudinal knee space when everything else is otherwise correctly adjusted, so I made a handlebar shim and used my 26mm WTB bars.

The bars we supply with the bike work for almost everyone, but my body dimensions are outside the distribution we build bikes around.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Best,

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I'll let you know how it

I'll let you know how it works out.

I'll bet you go reaching for the standard bars and put the wtb's back on the shelf. ;) It's just a feelin I have.

BentBierz

The remaining questions are

"The remaining questions are about the torque arm and shifter."

Man...will I be an extremely happy camper if the Rohloff will work. I have one available for the bike and, coupled with a compact road crank on the front, will give me the gear range I am looking for.

If the Rohloff ends up fitting, wouldn't the following work instead of having to use the big torque arm?

Monkey Bone and OEM2 Axle Plate:

photo-mb-left.png

HRD_RoCD2-si-is.png

photo-mb-installed_01.png

The above is the set up on my current bike that has disc brakes since it doesn't have a Rohloff dropout like below.

af61abb14b.jpg

BentBierz

Different ways to mount a

Different ways to mount a Rohloff shifter to road drop bars:

http://cyclingabout.com/index.php/2011/11/rohloff-hubs-with-drop-handlebars/

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Okay, so many ways to fit the

Okay, so many ways to fit the shifter. But what interests me for Rohloff shifting is a two stage shifting system.

Bar end shifter, with custom stop dimples, PLUS an inline tweak, so that my bar end is shifting 1 to 9 or 6 to 14. Something like that. I have no idea if the shift distances are constant, which they would have to be.

Or maybe two bar end shifters, and I can shift up or down from either one. If one runs out of clicks, use the other. :)

Yes, I know it requires two cables. Concept first, make it viable second. ;)

BentBierz

John,
Very interesting ideas.

John,

Very interesting ideas. Having had a Rohloff for 4 years now (actually have 4 between my bike/trike and my wife's) I know there is a lot of interest in the Rohloff crowd for a better shifter solution...not real certain why Rohloff doesn't tackle the road drop bar crowd but their business decision is obviously not to.

Regarding shift distances...every shift from 1 to 14 is very distinct and the same distance. The two cables are a simple push/pull set-up and are required to be the exact same length.

thebean

John, what a cool idea!  You

John, what a cool idea! You know, now that I have the SRAM dual drive on my Bike Fridays, I really have fallen in love with this shifting system. (Charles, I just received the second one yesterday and will be posting unpacking pictures soon!). It's so smooth and seamless. Then again, Jim Parker has the Di2 on his Vendetta and it sounds like the bomb!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
There's something to this "build a bike at at the beach" thing

Quiet, no interruptions.

IMAG0125a.jpg

IMAG0124a.jpg

IMAG0123a.jpg

Looks like the front needs a tandem QR. I stole the one of my Vision R82 before I left the house.

Otherwise everything looks like it fits and aligns fine with the 135mm hub.

Now to cable, chain and wrap things. Off to the LBS in the morning to see if he can remove this stuck 9sp cassette.

BentBierz

Wow...beautiful bike!!! I

Wow...beautiful bike!!! I LOVE the look of it! Does it have the standard sized chainstays? Mine is stateside in Customs right now and I can't wait to get it.

I have a Rohloff wheel ready to go so maybe within the next week or two I can answer my own question. I think it was Nanda at Spin Cyclz though that brought up the point, either here or at BROL, that it might be the chain stays that are an issue making them wider, not so much the fork. Do you see any issue with this Doug on your build?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
the frame almost disapears

Does anyone else see what I mean? With the HF frame member melding into the seatup through the headrest, with a rider seated on this Silvio, the bike would almost disappear. It's as if the bike and its rider become one.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Carboyoke Chainstays

Hi Larry,

There is enough compliance in the carboyoke structure before everything is tightened up that the wider hub is happily accommodated. I see no distortion in the front structure when the QR is pulled up tight.

Looking at your DF Rohloff installation photos, the only thing I see is that the caliper mount (the bolt-on part, not the mount welded to the fork) might need to be relieved to accept the Rohloff bracket that tucks under. Otherwise, the caliper bracket will end up closer to the disc than can be accommodated. If you can't make this change on the bracket, let me know, I can probably knock it out on the mill pretty quick.

Cheers,

Doug

3WHELZ

Guru
29" Wheels

Doug - the disc hubs are intriguing, but what about those 29" wheels? This is the first I have heard anyone mention moving from a 700c wheel to a 29". I am assuming there are no clearance issues? Thank you for sharing the detail of your build. Dean

BentBierz

Thanks Doug,
Is this the

Thanks Doug,

Is this the relief you are talking about:

300.png

These are available at Cyclemonkey.com.