Silvio 2.0 disc hubs

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Yep...

Larry,

That's what you need. I think if you get a shifter worked out you're probably in good shape.

Dean,

29'r wheels are 700c. They usually just have a higher spoke count and 135mm hubs. These mounted the same tires I had on a pair of Aero 67's perfectly.

3WHELZ

Guru
Doug - I guess a bit of a duh

Doug - I guess a bit of a duh on my part. Thank you for the clarification.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Jaw dropping beautiful bike!

Wow! Wow! Jaw dropping beautiful bike! I want! I want!

Just need a video of a rider on it, screaming away at 50 Km/h on some smooth winding tarmac!

Rod

Wow what a nice looking bike,

Wow what a nice looking bike, thanks Doug for the pics It appears the seat angle is not quite as laid back as the Vendetta. Is that right?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Tire sizes are black magic

French - 700c, 650b, 650c,

ISO - 27 1/4" = 630mm, 700c = 622mm, 650c = 571mm, 26" = 559mm, 24" = 520mm, 24" = 507mm, 20" = 451mm, 20" = 406mm, 16" = 349mm, 20" = 307mm.

Then there are Schwinn-specific 26" tires, and the old 26" road bike tires that I have forgotten the ISO equivalents for.

"29 inch" or "29'r" was a clever marketing term used to sell 700c rims to mountain bikers.

Tire sizes are all about duh for all of us, Dean.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Facing the front dropouts

There is a little room for expanding the dropout spacing on the fork, it you want everything to line up just so.

Modifying the fork is risky - at this point in production we aren't able to replace forks where mistakes are made in modifications. They're too expensive and we don't have enough of them.

If you want to open the fork dropouts, you can (I haven't, so take this as something of a theoretical discussion) face the inner dropout "bosses" that contact the stub axles (or locknuts, depending on the hub you're using). Temptation is to use a file, but the bosses rest in a "depression" in the dropout that a flat file would damage. To do this properly, you need a dropout facing tool. This is the only one I've found:

http://morningstartools.com/Pages/DropoutFacing.aspx

It's kinda expensive for a one-use tool, but it's cheap insurance if you're working on a part made of unobtainium.

This should give you a precise, parallel set of dropouts and prevent damage to the outer dropout flanges. Use Park Tool Cutting Oil to prevent galling, and work slowly, taking a light cut, then adjusting the tool. If the tool is "catching" or binding, back off and take a lighter cut.

You should be able to get at least 3mm overall increase without too much drama. Could be that you could get the 2.5mm per side that you want.

Good luck. Don't mess up...
wink_smile.gif

Cheers,

Doug

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Doug I already asked on

Doug I already asked on Larry's post about this but do you see any need to flare the forks with a jig of some sort ever so slightly so that the forks are closer to the 135mm spacing BEFORE starting to cut with the facing tool?

I might be experimenting with some drive wheel changes shortly and the Rohloff intrigues me.

-Eric

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I am not enthusiastic about

I am not enthusiastic about modifications to the dropouts of our bikes, or any bikes. So I can't endorse these plans. Maybe you are careful, but maybe someone else is not.

BentBierz

John,
I can completely

John,

I can completely understand your concern and lack of endorsement for this project. Keeping that in mind will make me even that much more careful when I "clean up" the inside of the fork dropouts. I am going to take it slow and cautious and only remove the absolute minimum necessary to achieve a better fit.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
For nearly 10 years, my only

For nearly 10 years, my only bike has been a Grasshopper. This is fitted with Rohloff and hydraulic disk brakes, a combination which I absolutely love. So I got a conversion kit just to test the MBB idea. Back, with regret, to the old fashioned gears and brakes. But I am telling myself this is just an experiment, not my serious bike.

My first dilemma is whether I like the MBB idea. Gradually evolving towards "yes", I think.

In that case, my second dilemma is: Silvio or Vendetta. Probably S.

In either S or V scenario, I would really miss the type of components I have on the Grasshopper.

So, assuming I get to the point, of owning a frame, do I want to start flaring forks and facing dropouts? Never done anything like this before.

By the way, I am perfectly happy with the Rohloff shifter on the Grasshopper.

Romagjack

How 'bout a pic of your

How 'bout a pic of your Grasshopper? The Quest frame could probably take a Rohloff and hydraulic disc brakes. Perhaps you might find a used one or see if you could buy the frame only from Cruzbike?

BentBierz

Hi bladderhead,
If I had my

Hi bladderhead,

If I had my way, with maybe rare exception, I would have nothing but Rohloff-equipped bikes in my garage. An exception might be if I ever moved up to a Vendetta. To me, a Vendetta is a pure, out-and-out speed bike and might not be the best platform for a Rohloff or any other type of IGH. That said, my understanding is that a Silvio is no slouch either for speed (hope to find out soon) but I think it could very easily assume a role as a fast, multi-capable bike that can be a commuter bike, touring bike, charity ride bike, etc. The ability to run an IGH and install fenders would make this an exceptionally versatile bike allowing people to do literally anything they want with the Silvio.

For the time being, the Silvio will be my "Vendetta" but if anytime in the future Cruzbike designs/offers a touring-type 135mm fork with fender clearance, etc. I hope to be at the front of the order line to get one.

BTW...I have no issue with the standard Rohloff shifter on my trike or my Ti-Rush but wanted to go a different route (http://www.co-motion.com/index.php/product/rohloff-shifter) if I was to put it on a bike with drop bars.

Jake

Cyclocross rather than 29er Disk hubs

Aren't cyclecross wheels 130mm rather that 135? I'm sure they are available with disks.

Also, given the problems of carbon rims and caliper brakes, it seems likely that high end road wheels might be available with disks.

Jake

BentBierz

Hi Jake,
Available...yes! In

Hi Jake,

Available...yes! In huge numbers...no! I know that the following companies make them: White Industries (they make very nice hubs) & Velocity (very familiar with their rims but not their hubs). Chris King (probably my favorite hub) doesn't, DT Swiss doesn't, Hope doesn't, Shimano & SRAM...nope. Most hub manufacturers don't.

I talked to Chris KIng and they said they have nothing on the drawing board nor plan to. I'm not a cyclocross expert but know that very few of them run disc brakes. My Airborne Carpe Diem is a cyclocross bike (albeit an older 2002) and it doesn't have a disc brake tab on the back.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Ages ago, on the internet

Ages ago, on the internet (forgot the address) I read about this bloke who rode a recumbent with heel-clips. He also put the in-steps of his feet on the pedals. I made myself these clips. I cannot adjust them because they use two pieces of metal which I happened to have, which made them just the right size for me to use my in-steps. Everybody says you should ride with the balls of your feet, but I have really got to like riding this way. I do not know how to make more heel-clips just the right size for me.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The headrest!  I forgot about

The headrest! I forgot about that.

The bike came with a headrest. One morning at 3 AM I was riding home, completely off my face. I only noticed the headrest was gone the next day. I retraced my wheel-tracks, but never found it. The headrest in the photo is one I made.

It is a great bike to ride when one is completely off one's face. I wonder which Cruzbike frame is the best for this type of ride?

I like this forum.

Bruce B

Rearward Cleat Placement

Here is a long thread from BentRiderOnline concerning the use of the arch of the foot on the pedal:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=93881&highlight=pedal+arch+foot