Silvio 2.0 disc hubs

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
That thread is all about

That thread is all about cleats and shoes, which I have always been scared to try. I made heel-clips out of toe-clips. I just transferred them temporarily to my conversion-kit, which seems to reduce pedal-steer.

So now, after wondering how to make more heel-clips, I had a look online, and am about to buy Look cleats. Just the cleats. They are made of engineering thermoplastic, so I think I can saw or drill them and attach them to flat pedals, and then attach sawn-off toe-clips. Maybe.

Anyway, they are cheap, so what the hell.

I am surprised no company is making heel-clips for bent riders.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I've seen heel slings

Hostel Shoppe sells heel slings which perform the same function as your heel clips, but maybe your clip idea is better. I have never used such a thing as I use clipless pedals, but I can see there being a market for what you have, especially trike owners.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Slings sounds good,

Slings sounds good, especially with patches for sandals.

People on two wheels are worried about being unable to put their feet down in an emergency, which does not bother trike-riders, so they are happy with cleats and shoes.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The cleats would not fit.  I

The cleats would not fit. I mangled them quite badly and they would not fit. AndrewBaloga is right. I eagerly await heel-slings from Hostel Shoppe. In the meantime, I keep transferring Grasshopper's pedals to the conversion kit and back again.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
That's it.  Swallowed hard

That's it. Swallowed hard and went for it.

Apparently Mr Tolhurst can't bash Silvios out fast enough and I'm gonna have to wait. Anyway, thanks for the discount. That about pays for the shipping. Nice gesture.

I bought just the frame because I want hydro disks, Schmidt dynamo and, I hope, Rohloff. When the frame arrives, I have a cunning plan. My Grasshopper has Rohloff and disk brakes, so I am going to try to put that back wheel into the Silvio. It is twenty inch, but I can find out if the hub fits before I buy one.

BentBierz

bladderhead said...

It is twenty inch, but I can find out if the hub fits before I buy one.

I can tell you that it will fit with a slight spreading of the fork blades...I have a Rohloff on a 700c wheel and had little problem getting it in. I had a thread going earlier regarding facing the fork drop outs so that the spread would be even less but allowed myself to be talked out of doing that.

I may revisit the Rohloff again in the future...I absolutely love it. You CAN go fast with a Rohloff on a bike like the Silvio (I can fly on my Ti-Rush with the Rohloff) so it is far from "putting perfume on a pig" as some may suggest.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
AndrewBaloga is definitely

AndrewBaloga is definitely right. The heel slings are great.

On the conversion-kit, trying to simultaneously brake and change down is annoying. I always used to be annoyed by that. I think my Silvio will be a fragrant pig.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
What is the weight increase of a disc wheel with more spokes to handle the braking load, and disc brake over the standard wheel and caliper road brakes.

Are the new 24 mm wide 700 C rims heavier than the same depth (30 mm) 19 mm wide rims?

Has anyone changed to 23 or 25 mm wide rims from the 19 mm rims and noticed better handling?

Regards

Super Slim

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Nice looking wheels...

... and they appear to offer a 130mm - spaced disc hub on a deep-rim aero wheel.

Good find. Let us know how they work for you. (Pictures?)

counterpoint

I got my disk carbon wheels

I got my disk carbon wheels from China via ebay, custom order, $430 shipped from seller carbonspeedcycle. You can choose any configuration, and for disk wheels they'll use disk appropriate spoke patterns. My 38mm rims (24/24 front/rear) with Novatek disk hubs weigh about 1450 g. Granted, I opted for tubular rims (the Conti Sprinter tubes add 300g).
This seller has staff who speak/write perfect English so communicating specialty orders is no problem.
If you want to build your own wheel: the hub you want is here, the ?Novatec D722SB (different number for front).

For disk brakes I'd recommend the TRP Spyre. Cheaper and lighter than Avid. I opted for their Hy/Rd hydraulic brake for the front but I'm told it may be overkill. The weight is 150g for Spyre and 200g Hy/Rd plus the rotors at about 90g each.

My main decision was to avoid issues with carbon rims on long descents. I could have gone for much lighter rim brakes (200g set).

Novatek.jpg

counterpoint

The carbon wheels arrived 14

The carbon wheels arrived 14 days after placing the order (China to Denver, Colorado). The weight is as stated and they look very nice.
Those have the Novatek disk hubs for road bike wheels (130mm) so no need to squeeze.
They let you choose the color of the nipples, spokes and the hub. For the 38mm rim you'll need 30mm Presta valve extenders. Weight before skewers and disk rotor 1480g for front and rear. My cassette (11-34) is also from Taiwan, only 178g ($100 cheaper than the high end Shimano cassette which weighs 255g - and $100 more expensive than the regular boat anchors at 345g to 445g).
From what I've been told it pays to keep the rotating weight low (at the very least it pays the seller...)

The skewers are on the heavy side at 105g and I might get a light weight set later ($20-30 on ebay, titanium).

Now the only things missing are a second chain, the tires (Conti Sprinter Gatorskin tubulars), the front derailleur (the SRAM Force Yaw 2014 model is identical to the Red Yaw at half the price, available from Taiwan via ebay) -- and the frame set!!

Hopefully Cruzbike is still on track to ship first week of November. And hopefully they'll include stickers for the wheels to make bragging easier.

DSC_0196(1).jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0198(1).jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
For the record:

At most, an

For the record:
  • At most, an object mass counts double.
  • Rotating mass only matters when accelerating (not when climbing at a constant speed).
  • A cassette is very close to the axis, so its mass when accelerating is much less than a factor of 2.
  • All of these numbers have to be compared to the total bike + rider + stuff.
In most cases, paying for low weight stuff isn't really worth it, unless:

• You don't have a chunk of weight you can lose off of your person (which means, not me), and
  • You're racing, where small effects still cause small differences, but races are won by small differences.
Doing tubeless instead of tubes may make a lot of sense (lower rolling resistance), for example, but not really because of the weight savings (again, at least for most of us).

All that being said, I'm not really any less jealous. :D

counterpoint

a great rationalization

Regarding weight, here's a great rationalization (especially for people in a relationship with a joint budget):
When I upgraded from my 36 lbs recumbent to a Bacchetta Corsa at about 25 lbs I vowed to loose as much weight myself. Drew applause from my wife (and I kept to it. Didn't work the next time around when I ditched the Corsa for the 20 lbs Carbent where I had no easy pounds to shed left and the price difference was two grant rather than one.

As for tubulars: have read many reports now that people who also use sealant (like Stan's) may never have a flat tires again, at least not with the most highly rated Continental Sprinter Gatorskin.

Paruig

Rohloff Hub on Silvio

The Schlitter Encore frames have:
  • Clearance for wheels up to 700c and tires up to 42mm in the rear, and
  • Dropout width adjusts from 135 to 130mm with included spacers.
I would order a Silvio 2 immediately if I could easily fit my Rohloff wheel without having to modify the fork.

What about redesigning the fork for 135mm hubs John?