Silvio 2.0 Hub Sizes

BentBierz

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the front and rear axle spacing is on the Silvio 2.0. I am going to build my own wheels and would like to start pricing hubs (also would like to build up a SON dyno rear wheel if the spacing will allow it). Thanks.

mickjordan

Hub sizes

Since no existing 2.0 owner has replied, I can tell you that the 1.5 has standard 130mm spacing so unless the 2.0 has disk brake support, which would typically be 135, it's probably the same. I used my Mavic Open Pro with SON 28R in the rear. A bit of a hassle getting the cable to the front light, but doable.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Silvio 2.0 and Vendetta 2.0

Silvio 2.0 and Vendetta 2.0 share the same fork profile and dropouts. These are 130mm. There are 130mm road hubs that accept disk rotors.

BentBierz

Thanks John...just to make

Thanks John...just to make sure I read the above correctly...both the front and rear are 130 mm? I don't think I have ever seen a 130 mm front hub.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Sorry, I'll restate.We just

Sorry, I'll restate.
We just swap front and back wheels over. 130 rear becomes 130 front. 100 front becomes 100 rear. Such hubs are available for disk rotors. Disk brake mounts are included on Silvio 2.0 and Vendetta 2.0.

BentBierz

Very Few 130 Disc Hubs on the Market

Hi Mick...as per John's response, looks like the spacing is 130 mm. Looking on some of the major hub sites (Chris King, DT Swiss, etc.) it looks like 130 mm disc hubs, as has historically been the case, are still hard to find...even more difficult if you are thinking on going to an 11-speed set-up. It's a shame, I was looking forward to a nice red Chris King disc hub on the front to match my red SON dyno disc hub on the rear.

mickjordan

Re 130 disk hubs

Sorry, missed the hub part and got fixated on the dynamo on the rear. What I had meant do say was that the dropout widths are standard non-disk road bike for the 1.5. I had forgotten that the 2.0 has the disk brake option and CZ are unusual in not going to 135. For example I just bought a Lightning P38 frame with disk option, which normally would come with 135, but I specifically asked them to make the rear dropout 130 as I wanted to use my existing rear wheels (the frames are hand made to order). I don't care about having a disk on the rear as most of my braking is on the front wheel anyway. Of course, that would be a problem for the CZ as the front wheel has the hub!

I'm totally sold on a front disk brake after my experiences descending the steep and tricky hills around the Bay Area on recumbents, which pick up speed awful fast. I rode my DF bike a couple of weeks ago (to remind myself why I switched to a 'bent) and I really missed the disk brake's stopping power.

BentBierz

130 Disc Hub Update

Found that White Industries (http://www.whiteind.com/precision-bicycle-components.html) has a hub, the CX-11, (http://www.whiteind.com/mi6-disc-rear-hubs.html) that would work with a 130 mm dropout and is 9, 10, and 11-speed compatible so would work not only for disc brakes but for those interested in the new 11-speed offerings from the various manufacturers.

Unfortunately, Chris King has a different take on a 130 mm disc brake hub (at least as far as working for their product). This is the answer I received from them when I asked if they had one in the works or if they could custom build a 130 mm, 11-speed hub:

"Unfortunately we do not offer any of our disc hubs (11 or 10 speed) in 130 spacing. The 130 spacing would require us to push the flanges closer together resulting in greater spoke pull that could compromise the integrity of the wheel build."

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
What the flange spacing is on

What the flange spacing is on the hub depends on how you build the hub I think. I've seen 130 hubs with flages spacings that vary more than 5 mm.

pRC

Wish List?

Looking for the max tire size info, I see you list the limit at 28c for the Silvio -- if you ever get the chance to re-tool the chain stays in the future it would be great if we could fit larger tires. Lately I've been running a set of lightweight Panasonic 559-32 tires that have been remarkable - comfortable and grippy at lower pressure, and much more stable on unpaved roads (gravel state park roads are part of my commute).

I detect a trend towards wider tires coming, even for crazy racer-boys, as more of these grippy lightweight tires come out. It's been a frequent topic on several forums. The question is 'how much is enough?' - if you go up to 32c, people will want 35, or even room for fenders!

While 130mm disk hubs may become more widely available in the future, after doing a lot of online research I think they are very hard to find today. 29er disk wheels on the other hand are everywhere, but all have 135mm hub spacing. Dang. Maybe in the fantastic imagined future re-tool you could also consider a change to 135mm spacing on the Silvio?

I think both these changes would make the bike more 'randonneur' friendly... Should your market move in that direction.

Keep up the good work -

/pRC

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hub for potential conversion from 135mm to 130mm

This is the Shimano tech doc for the M525 Deore freehub:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FH/EV-FH-M525-2067B_v1_m56577569830728349.pdf

I have a set of these wheels on my Sofrider CityBike. They roll very nicely - my CityBike is way faster and smoother than it has any right to be. These hubs are not expensive (about $45), and Deore stuff is very versatile, rugged, and not too heavy.

If you look carefully at the drawing, on the non-drive side there is a 2.3mm washer that likely can be removed. On the drive side, there is a 3.2mm washer that could be replaced with a 1.0mm spacer. So you'd be within a hair's breadth of a 130mm disc hub.

John is shipping me a SV2.0 for development work. This'll probably be the first thing I test.

I'll let you know how it works out.

V2K-Citybike2.jpg

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I want Doug's Job

"John is shipping me a SV2.0 for development work. This'll probably be the first thing I test."

Doug...I want your "job" when you retire.

counterpoint

any news on the M525 Deore freehub conversion?

Hi Doug,

have you tried this yet? I ordered the Silvio 2.0 frameset and want to go with a disc brake (on a Chinese carbon wheel).