Silvio 2.0 Journey, Build, and Ride Video

Ivan

Guru
I have been reading and thinking about owning my first recumbent bicycle for a long time, but became serious when I learned about Cruzbikes 2 years ago. After a long hiatus from cycling, I got back into riding first via a Brompton (folding bike), then moved back to my first love - road bikes. I enjoy bike commuting and regularly do a 2-3 hour round trip on my current Cervelo S2 road bike. I knew I would want a high quality performance recumbent that allow me to do centuries more comfortably than I do on my road bike, and self-supported tours in the future. I am 38 years old, with no serious injury issues, but I am always fighting to mitigate pain on my road bike. With a background in human factors / ergonomics and bioengineering, recumbents make a whole lot of sense and the Cruzbike FWD MBB design especially intrigued me.

IMG_1951.JPG

Following the development path of Cruzbikes, it was very exciting to see Vendetta developed, then watch its hydroformed beauty be enhanced. I admired it from afar while I lurked in the Cruzbike forums. In my neck of the urban jungle, recumbents are extremely rare. On an organized ride, I met someone riding a Bachetta Corsa. We connected, and he kindly let me ride his bike. After setting it up to a 45 deg seat angle, SPDs, and some awkward first attempts, we were cruising on bike paths 30 min later (he is seriously considering Vendetta now). That experience gave me confidence to be able to learn the Cruzbike FWD MBB platform, and know that I wanted a lower seat and a more performance oriented recumbent. However, the Vendetta seemed too extreme for my riding in the urban city with lots of traffic (I live in Singapore), and to get the most expensive Cruzbike for my very first recumbent seemed over the top. Then Silvio 2.0 was announced, which was for me the perfect combination of performance with reclined seat, sensible suspension, and a price tag lower than Vendetta. I chose to equip it with a chainstay extension so the riding position would be closer to the Vendetta as I really like the position I see Jim and Maria taking up on their Vendetta rides. While the Silvio 1.5 had that really nice curved boom, the seat angle still appeared too upright for me. I wanted a position akin to Vendetta, but I was concerned that this is my first recumbent and that I will ride in traffic.

IMG_1842.JPG

Silvio 2.0 arrived in her compact box. I had studied Eric's Vendetta build and as many Silvio 1.5 photos I could find, so was expectantly waiting for it. First, I was pleasantly arrived on my doorstep without having to pay for customs duty. The declared value of this small production run frame (for insurance/customs purposes) is low enough to be under what we are allowed in Singapore. I highlight this for non-US buyers because the online ordering forms show a ridiculous shipping price of US$300. However, Cruzbike drop-ships the frameset from Taiwan so you will actually pay the regular price as if you were in the US. Previously, I thought the shipping was prohibitive but this is not the case. Talk to Cruzbikes, buy just the frameset if you need to, and you can get the rest of the parts however you like. For me, I was in the US on a short trip so I bought SRAM Force there, but had the Silvio 2.0 frameset shipped to Singapore instead of the US.

The box arrived in very good shape. There was small dent in the box where the seat horns are located. But they were well padded, apparently in response to Eric's feedback! And there was no damage.

silvio%20parts3.JPG height:445px; width:769px

I will not reproduce a pic of all the parts as this has been done very well by John in the picture above. I was overall very pleased with the quality, expecting nothing less from all the rave reviews in the forum. The main body of the hydroformed frame and the headset was especially pleasing since it was so close the Vendetta I love to see. However, I was slightly disappointed with the aesthetically imperfect carbon weave on one of the "carboyokes" or chainstays. There is no functional issue, but I was expecting a perfect layup under the clearcoat just like my previous carbon DF frames with clearcoats. Hearing from others, and looking closely at other's pictures revealed that this is not isolated, and it doesn't bother me much. Since my expectations were so high from all the glowing user reviews of quality, it did surprise me. However, once you build up the bike it is not noticeable at all.

IMG_1851.JPG

While I do all my own bike maintenance work, I have never built up a bicycle before so this was an exciting venture. Further, I do not have bicycle work stand nor a workshop in my city apartment. I share this so you know it is possible to build up Vendetta/Silvio without a workstand.

IMG_1853.JPG

The rear triangle and suspension assembly is the first item to be completed. Tight clearances of the bolt led me wrap my allen key in foam so as not to scratch the frame. At the time of this writing, full instructions for Silvio 2.0 were not yet available. I first put the titanium spring/plate on "backwards" ala Silvio 1.5 before figuring out it went the other way. There are two square aluminium plates with four bolt holes. The one that holds the spring on the rear triangle has no indentation. The other one has an indentation that mates with the suspension block mounted on the frame.

IMG_1855.JPG

The frame arrived with no bolt holes visible where the titanium spring attaches! Pressing on it, revealed indentations so I cut the film away with a sharp knife. However other users reported that a sticker covers the holes and is painted over, so just peel off the sticker with your fingernails.

IMG_1859.JPG

You will need some muscle to mount the rear triangle onto the suspension block. Ensure the suspension block is as far back into the frame as possible. Use some dishwashing liquid as a temporary lubricant if necessary. In the pic above, I could not get the suspension block in very far. I managed to install it, but it would have been easier if I had put it further in. On the inside of the frame is a circular disc with two holes in it. At first, I was stumped as to it's function. Doug explained on the forum that you screw it up/down to adjust preload on the suspension. Elegantly simple! Turn it with needle-nose pliers but don't expect the suspension block to move immediately. It needs your weight on the bike to do that.

IMG_1863.JPG

When installing the rear triangle onto the main frame, cover the titanium spring with something soft (it's a clean sock!) to avoid scratching your hydroformed beauty when you install it. It may look like it's hard to fit, but squeeze it in with some muscle and it will work.

IMG_1864.JPG

When fitting the front triangle, some enjoyable pondering was required to see how the pieces fit together. This is a good time to appreciate the design work behind the Silvio. Being an early adopter, I was one of those for whom the slider did not have the pre-cut slot it was supposed to have. So I to dremel this in myself.

IMG_1870.JPG

My fork steerer tube was also 1mm too high, so cutting off 2mm solved this problem. These were done after consulting others in the forum. Height adjustment of the clamp is possible, but not my much due to clearances. The Vendetta has greater height adjustment in this regard due to the fact that the stem recesses into the larger boom.

IMG_1867.JPG

The provided skewers seem good quality. In the pic above, the included black skewers are compared to a set of older Zipp skewers. The Silvio front skewer is of course the "rear" skewer but is also wider as it grasps both the fork and chainstay so needs to be longer.?

IMG_1871.JPG

My wheels slipped on easily. I like the American Classic 420 Aero 3 wheelset, being light and reasonably aero. I have the white version on my white road bike, so I hunted for these second-hand in black graphics. A good deal for excellent condition wheels with Conti GP4000s tyres. I did not have to file away any paint on the dropouts for wheels to fit, something which others had to do, like Eric in his detailed Vendetta build. I wonder if the painting process cleverly reduced the paint on the dropouts, or I am just fortunate.

In this picture, the 100mm chainstay extension is installed and the BB put in the highest/shortest position. This is too short for me at 5'7.5" / 175cm (X-seam 42") but I want to show this picture because I had long looked for pics of Silvio with this installed to see what angle the boom would be, but I could not find these. Studying Vendetta (medium) and Silvio 1.5 pictures led me to believe that the Silvio 2.0 with a 100m extension would very close to the medium sized Vendetta for the boom angle and handlebar position. As I really liked Jim and Maria's posture on Vendetta, and I am in between their heights, I wanted to get this on Silvio together with a high BB. This goal has been achieved. John's blog states that Silvio 1.5/2.0 with the 100mm chainstay extension can fit someone with an inseam as short as 38" - note that once you get around 39" X-seam, the boom is pretty much horizontal.

IMG_1949.JPG

The fiberglass seat requires some tweaking as has been reported by others. My Velcro was much better positioned than Eric's in his Vendetta build. It was definitely passable, but I moved some pieces 0.5-1cm to make it perfect. The seat pan does not mate very well to the seat in its factory condition. Due to the Velcro strips there is too space around the bolt holes, and the front of the seat takes paint off the frame. I shaped the underside lip of the seat pan to match the curvature of the frame and stuck a piece of inner tube on it. I also made rubber washes from inner tubes (2 layers for each bolt) as per Doug's suggestion. Together, this makes the seat pan sit very well. Like Eric, I also cut down some protruding corners of the seat back. I also note that the curvature of the fiberglass seat does not fit like a glove to the curvature of the seat. This would be a good area to improve on for future Silvio and Vendetta models. In fact, my afore-mentioned friend is waiting for this to be fixed and the rumored new full carbon seat to be out, before he orders a Vendetta.

One good thing about Silvio 2.0 now, in my opinion, is that the seat horns have pre-drilled holes onto which the seat pan bolts. In Eric's Vendetta build, his is only Velcro and no holes (he talks about the possibility of drilling holes). So I am glad mine has the holes, but I am surprised that these are not threaded. Instead, they require a nut on the other side. It would be better for these to be threaded so that there is no unsightly bolt/nut protrusion on the other side.

IMG_1954.JPG

Installing the components proceeded smoothly. The fork clearances on the brake calipers is very tight. When the brakes are wide open, they just touch the fork (something which Eric similarly reports on his Vendetta build). Running the cables is an interesting affair. Vendetta is slightly cleaner given that the cables run inside the boom. However, Silvio is no slouch for cable neatness, which I am finicky about.

IMG_1959.JPG

un the cables through the "hole" between the boom and the stem. Leave some slack for handlebar and boom adjustment. I will trim the cables later after I actually ride the bike some miles and confirm my position.

IMG_1962.JPG

The cable for the derailleur (don't know whether to call it front/rear now!) goes around the BB. Doug pictures his using the inner Teflon sheath. I am choosing to use the entire brake cable housing. There is no cable guide around the BB, but there is a hole in the aluminum block that holds the derailleur through which the derailleur cable goes through. With a ferrule on the derailleur cable housing, the end of the cable housing fits snugly in this hold. I then chose to run the cable housing all the way to the cable stop rather than stop near the BB.

IMG_1961.JPG

I wonder what those appendages on the BB are for? Vendetta doesn't have them. Perhaps they may be useful for mounting a light. If I can fit a cut-off section of a handlebar in between these two appendages, I could attach my front light there.

Adjusting the boom was tricky before I attached the brake cables (I didn't want to cut brake cables until I had the boom and handlebars adjusted for fit) because I don't have a trainer onto which I can mount the bike, and I couldn't hold the brakes to keep her still. I managed however, and had fun setting approximate positions.

IMG_1953.JPG

My Garmin fits nicely right in the center of the handlebar and gives a good viewing angle and position. It does make things a little tighter when entering and departing the cockpit however. Note how the bands go around the back handlebar, in between the boom and the handlebar. There is enough clearance in that center portion such that the rubber bands are not pinched. This makes for a very clean looking installation. It is easiest to install the Garmin mount before you attach the handlebar to the boom. It currently gets in the way when I try to mount/dismount the bike but perhaps this will get better as I get used to it.

IMG_1956.JPG

I chose SRAM Force components and bought the groupset through Cruzbike. They provided the extra length of chain which you can see in the pic above between the 2 black PowerLock links. I think it was an oversight that they didn't give me a second PowerLock, as I recall that others got this I their boxes. This and extra derailleur housing was all I needed to buy from the LBS to complete the bike. I would suggest to Cruzbike to include some extra cable housing as the cable runs for Silvio/Vendetta need longer housing than a typical road bike.

IMG_1958.JPG

I think the SRAM Force aesthetics goes beautifully with Silvio 2.0 looking fast with a little "industrial tech" thrown in. The carbon crankarms juxtapose the alloy chainrings, just as the different Silvio parts in the frame do. The black/white design on the brifters go wonderfully with the Silvio paintwork too.

Days of building led to the first ride! One of the things I liked about the Cruzbike design is that they are not much longer than a typical road bike, and fit just nicely into my apartment elevator - as this fuzzy picture shot off the ceiling reflection of the elevator shows!

IMG_1964.JPG

There is a small park downstairs with a gentle slope where I bring my kids. This time, it's me learning! I only got half an hour in today but it was enough for the first go. I followed suggestions such as palm open and relax. After a few times, I managed to roll down and balance. Then I managed to get one foot up, and sort of start out myself (still downhill). I was unable to ride with two feet up after my 20-30 minutes then I had to go back and cook dinner! I was looking forward to the exciting challenge of learning the FWD MBB platform. Being my first recumbent bike, and starting with a Silvio with a 27 degree angle, I am prepared for the learning curve. But for now, Silvio is hanging on the wall hook and my DF road bike is prepped for tomorrow's commute.

IMG_1967.JPG

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Nice post and great

Nice post and great pictures. That is one pretty bike!

A couple of comments on learning to ride.
  • If you haven't already, please look at Kim's videos (I found "Fred Flinstoning" very helpful).
  • You can read about my experiences (and tips) here.
  • I think you'll find you acclimate the quickest if you can ride only your Silvio for a while. This advice may not be practical, but in some sense you're trying to relearn how to ride a bike. Switching back and forth (I believe but have no scientific evidence for) will slow that down.
Cheers,
Charles

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Ivan, nice write-up. That

Hi Ivan, nice write-up. That is a really sharp looking Silvio.

I think I saw in another post where the mounts on the BB are for a fairing to be attached.

See if you can get someone to take your picture while riding so we can see how you fit and what your recline is like for your height.

-Eric

Romagjack

Ivan, thanks for a great in

Ivan, thanks for a great in depth write up. Your bike is beautiful. I'll be curious to hear your review on how the Silvio compares to your road bike for commuting - the Singapore roads get a little hectic!

Nanda Holz

Great write-up Ivan

I am also in the process of building up a new Silvio and Vendetta for our demo/rental fleet, and you can see the stream of build pix here:

https://www.facebook.com/SpinCyclz

Ivan

Guru
Thanks All. Someone earlier

Thanks All. Someone earlier posted, "How often do we get the joy of learning to ride a bike again?" Waking up this morning the day after feels like that! My 4 year old girl is now transitioning from her balance bike (no pedals, only "fred flintstoning" to a pedal bike. Like me, she brings her balancing skills to the new endeavor but is not competent with pedal coordination yet. When she does pedal around, a look of glorious freedom erupts on her face. I think that is somewhere within my furrowed brow of concentration, but I am definitely having fun! Thus, I am doing what she is doing and trying to follow the advice of others gone before me. Pushing myself around on feet, gradual slope, relax relax relax! No doubt, my high BB steepens the learning curve.

I will definitely post some pictures of me riding to get some fitting feedback from others...will wait until I actually can ride it and the wife can help out!

Ah, the mounts are for a fairing...that makes a lot of sense!

Kenneth Jessett

I wonder if anyone else views

I wonder if anyone else views the front protruding chain ring as I do, a sort of aggressive saw blade ready to cut anyone in half who dares to approach. Maybe a chain ring guard might be a sensible and polite addition?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Try riding into some

Try riding into some cardboard pedestrians. I think you'll find the pedals kicking them away is what is really going on.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
very nice

IVAN!

Your Silvio should be the model by which all others are built. Absolutely gorgeous in design and with some great components. I am looking forward to your first real ride report.

Ivan

Guru
Elliptical Illusion

Ha ha ha! Good eyes John, however you are spotting some image distortion near the edges of my iPhone camera! Those are standard SRAM Force chainrings - nothing elliptical there, but it DOES look like it doesn't it!? :)

Lavs

Excellent & Patiences

Ivan,

EXCELLENT post! Between yours and Eric's, future Cruzbike builders have a wonderful resource to assist them in building their machines. At first glance I wondered why your mirror was on the right, then I remembered you are in Singapore, I assume you drive on the left side of the road, which is opposite of the USA (where I am). >;-)

Practice - I have been riding everyday for a week now in short bouts, getting as many practice sessions as possible. I even can feel the wobble/balance checking as I lay in bed before I fall asleep. I spent my first 6 hours in an empty parking lot, just going around and around. I have since tentatively progressed to riding on the roads with a wide bike lane. All the while in sneakers, I have not been able to progress to my clipless pedals. I tried but wasn't ready and couldn't clip in, so I switched back. I can't wait to get to them because I feel a longing to pull back on the pedals and get some power going.

I posted my first and failed attempt at climbing on my Silvio. Since then I have been practicing on an ~700m 4.4% climb. It is short enough that I can grit my teeth and see the top, i.e. something to focus on.

My progress - Even in my sneakers on open pedals, last night I covered the last 1.6 miles (slight elevation gain overall) of a 10 mile loop, in 4:45 (20.2mph). Not ground shattering by any stretch (>1:30 slower than my DF-TT bikes best), BUT certainly coming along after only one week on my Silvio.

Ivan - way to go, thank you, and keep at it!

Lavs

wow, I really thought your

wow, I really thought your chainrings were elliptical based on that first picture.

For those in the process of learning: It takes time but before long you will be confident and capable. Ride your Cruzbike everyday for every errand. I have been riding for 3 years and am still getting better especially in the climbing and slow-speed maneuvers realms. And to ease any doubts you may harbor; you will be MUCH faster, MUCH stronger, MUCH more efficient with a clipless system.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Silvio 2.0, Stunning bike. Again.

Ivan. What can I say but Wow!

Is that a 52/36 chainring and a 11-36 cassette? Great choice. What rear derailluer is that?

Ivan

Guru
Drivetrain and Small Bag

I selected all SRAM Force 2013 components, going with 10 speed rather than waiting for the newest 11 speed. Chainrings are 53/39 and the cassette is the PG-1070 11-32. The cassette is 11-12-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32. I knew I did not want a triple, but wanted gearing wider than my DF as I would not be able to stand on the hills. Therefore I chose the same chainrings as I have on my DF but with the wide 11-32 cassette. My area is quite flat, so I don't need the larger range of a triple chainring, didn't want to mess with tight clearances, and prefer the sleekness of the double. Therefore, this setup seemed good for me. Having this available in the SRAM WiFli road spec with all components designed to work together was one reason I chose SRAM. The WiFli derailleur is medium cage - longer than a typical road bike derailleur. This longer derailleur serves to handle the chain slack needed for the wide range 11-32 cassette. In case readers are interested, a similar WiFli setup is available for the lower cost SRAM Rival too, and one could choose a compact chainrings if required lower gearing, or the 12-32 cassette if you prefer.

IMG_1872.JPG

I currently use Ultegra on my road bike, and used an older SRAM Force on my previous road bike. The new 2013 Force appealed to me as the brifters are now ZeroLoss, whereas before one had to buy SRAM Red brifter a to get ZeroLoss. The Ultegra hollowtech chainrings are beautiful on my curvaceous Cervello, complementing the monocoque frame, but I think the more angular and "industrial tech" look of SRAM Force goes better with Silvio 2.0. Aesthetics, WiFli, and lower cost leaned me towards SRAM Force for this build.

IMG_1957.JPG

The bag under the headrest is a "top-tube" bag I had lying around. The size is perfect for the headrest, but it has to be mounted upside down so contents tend to fall out when you open it (see the zipper location and you will get what I mean). It is designed to hold a phone so you can see the screen when mounted on a DF top-tube, but of course this now points downward so the feature is not usable. Still, it is an inexpensive bag that fits well and looks good on Silvio 2.0 - enough to hold wallet, keys, and some food bars. You can see and buy it at DealExtreme.com for USD$8.90 including free postage/delivery.

IMG_1955.JPG

Thanks John, Andrew, Lavs and ak-tux for your encouraging words.

Jake514

<<I selected all SRAM Force

<<I selected all SRAM Force 2013 components, going with 10 speed rather than waiting for the newest 11 speed. Chainrings are 53/39 and the cassette is the PG-1070 11-32. The cassette is 11-12-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32. I knew I did not want a triple, but wanted gearing wider than my DF as I would not be able to stand on the hills. Therefore I chose the same chainrings as I have on my DF but with the wide 11-32 cassette. My area is quite flat, so I don't need the larger range of a triple chainring, didn't want to mess with tight clearances, and prefer the sleekness of the double. Therefore, this setup seemed good for me. Having this available in the SRAM WiFli road spec with all components designed to work together was one reason I chose SRAM. The WiFli derailleur is medium cage - longer than a typical road bike derailleur. This longer derailleur serves to handle the chain slack needed for the wide range 11-32 cassette. In case readers are interested, a similar WiFli setup is available for the lower cost SRAM Rival too, and one could choose a compact chainrings if required lower gearing, or the 12-32 cassette if you prefer.>>

Ivan,
Great pictures and write-up, and thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.

Now that you have had a chance for riding your new Silvio, how is this chainring gearing setup working for you on your mostly flat riding areas? I am interested as my area is also mostly flat with some rolling hills. Would you chose this same setup a second time if redoing? Thanks.

Ivan

Guru
Ride But Snapped Bolt

Jake, it will be months before I can answer that question! I am at 1.5 hours practice time now so that will take me a while!

My second practice today, so at 1 hour Silvio time, I managed to get both feet up and pedaling. I realized that i had set the boom a tad long so shortening helped me get both feet up. Unfortunately there were tons of people out tonight so I kept having to start and stop. I can turn but not steadily. It's coming!!!

BUT ARRRGH!! I guess I was tightening the boom too much and the bolt of the clamp snapped! Also one of the tiny bolts in the C clamp of the bottom bracket slipped and stripped! :( This puts a dampener on my practice as I can't ride until I get the boom clamp bolt replaced!

Jeremy S

Dude
Ivan, sorry to hear about

Ivan, sorry to hear about your setback. Enjoy the learning period while you can, once it's over riding the bike will be second nature and you'll barely remember when it wasn't.

Those wheels are loud and proud, really the defining feature of your build. Well done.

BentBierz

I truly love the looks of

I truly love the looks of those wheels but highly doubt they would haul my Clydesdale body around...wish nicer looking rims were made for higher spoke counts.