Silvio 2.0 Journey, Build, and Ride Video

Ivan

Guru
Bottom Bracket Clamp Bolts

When I first assembled my Silvio, I think I used the wrong bolts in the C-clamps that hold the bottom bracket. I probably mixed them up when taking out all the bolts and parts. If you are assembling, please use the correct bolt on the RIGHT in the following picture.

IMG_2145.JPG height:527px; width:703px

Because I used the wrong bolt (above LEFT), and the head on this bolt was small, it stripped easily. Today, I finally managed to remove it by cutting a slot with a dremel tool and getting it out with a large flat-head screwdriver. Thankfully, no damage was done to the frame. In the picture below the bolt on the left is the correct bolt, and the bolt on the right is the one I cut the slot in to remove it.

IMG_2145.JPG height:527px; width:703px

Ivan

Guru
Ride Report

I completed my fourth "decent" ride, not counting short practice sessions. Thoroughly enjoyed the 60km, and can feel that each ride I am gaining in control and speed. I am now coasting in between cars to the front of the traffic light, and can better navigate some of the tight corners on the bike path. While I am riding at my DF speed, I am also expending less energy and riding at a lower heart rate as this is a new platform for me. After more than 2 hours on Silvio, I had no pain in shoulders, neck, butt. Lots of potential in this platform and I am slowly getting there.

For new recumbent riders like me, it is a little frustrating to "feel slow" but the fun of learning a new ride and the ergonomic comforts are still driving me forward. I can only hope to be speedy like Jim soon, but probably sans his cool DIY aerodynamic tail!

Ivan

Guru
Ride Report

I am super pleased with Silvio. Today was my first real-world commute, which for me is 27km one way in city traffic. I finally got the nerve to do it, left early at 6.45am so there was light traffic and enjoyed the ride to work. My heart rate was beating very fast, not cos of the exertion but getting used to having more cars around me. By the second half of the ride, I was much more relaxed. I passed a few busses, and rolled in between cars at traffic lights. I didn't know my speed as my Garmin was left in the office.

Cars were giving way, some motorcycles would tail me, watching me curiously, and I had much more "space" on the road on this unusual bike than on my DF. In my 18 years in Singapore, I have not seen a single recumbent being ridden on the road, estimating only 10 owned here and mostly ridden on dedicated bike paths.

On the way back, I stayed a little late to allow the traffic to calm down then headed back with no big expectations of the ride - just get home safely and enjoy the ride. I was feeling really relaxed and more natural on Silvio, glancing at my Garmin which was now mounted I noticed I was cruising at 32kph (20mph) easily which I had trouble earlier. Woo hoo! The ride went on and I gained confidence, not expecting much because I think after about 250km on Silvio, I was still slightly slower than on my DF (Cervelo S2). As my ride progressed I was shocked to see my average speed increasing. I felt the most confident and powerful on Silvio than I have ever been. I ended the ride with my FASTEST time ever to ride home. With traffic and lights I usually ride at 27-28kph on my Cervelo S2 (7kg carbon aero-framed and same wheelset as on Silvio). While still new on Silvio, and my first month of owning a recumbent I was shocked that my average speed was 30.3kph upon arriving home. Not a computer error! I never had such fast 5km laps and times on my DF, and I wasn't trying at full throttle on Silvio either.

I hit 52kph (short rolling hills only, not steep) and felt good. I really like 53/39 and 11-32 gearing. I am topping out with 53 and 11 several times - something which I hardly ever do on my DF. So I am very glad I didn't go for the compact crankset.

I am pleasantly surprised at my recent jump in speed, and how I am already faster on Silvio than on my Cervelo as only last week I felt slow. Perhaps it was wind on my Silvio practice routes that made me feel slow. Whatever it was, this comparison of my most familiar commute route floors me. The potential in Silvio 2.0 is astounding. I don't have my 'bent legs yet and I can beat my old DF times! Silvio is gonna eat up the miles. I can't wait for the next century, and am itching for a multi-day tour in my neighbouring country...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/362687987

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
"Perhaps it was wind on my

"Perhaps it was wind on my Silvio practice routes that made me feel slow"

Too much baked beans.

On a DF, you get jet propulsion.

"I can't wait for the next century"

Good grief, it's only 2013!

Anyway, some of us are still waiting for our Silvios, and Ivan is making us feel jealous.

Ivan

Guru
LOL! Maybe I should have said

LOL! Maybe I should have said "cross wind" instead so as to avoid any gastro-intestinal misunderstanding! Sorry for inciting jealousy when what I intended was anticipation!!

Yes Eric, the silly grin was all over my face when I arrived home and proudly announced to my wife and anyone who would listen on FB. Something just "clicked" on that last ride and I sure hope it wasn't a fluke! ;)

low wong

Bravo! Ivan, from north to

Bravo! Ivan, from north to south!
I expect your next riding will be No.3 in Johor , from Kota Tinggi to Mersing, beautiful scenery and very very light traffic.

Ivan

Guru
Second Commute Report

It has been 6 weeks since my first wobbly test-ride on my Silvio and it has been an amazing 6 weeks even though there were busy times where I didn't get to ride Silvio for 5 days and I was riding my DF in between for commuting as well. Another commute today, this time my long 47km route. I'm very happy and my previous good showing on Silvio over the short 26km route was not a fluke. I am faster on SIlvio than I have ever been on my DF (7kg Cervelo S2).

With traffic and traffic lights, I averaged 31kph over the 48km route, whereas my usual is 28kph on my DF. I am often cruising at 35-38kph in the flats when conditions are good and I cannot hold these speeds on my DF. I arrived at work with no aches, which I normally feel towards the end of this ride.

VIEW: Details for this morning's Silvio Long Commute
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365826131

VIEW: Stats comparisons of this morning's ride with a similar ride on my DF (ignore the strange calorie mis-reading). The Silvio ride this morning is 0.8 miles longer cos I missed one right turn and had to make a U-turn at the next traffic light!
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/comparison?activityId=365826131&activityId2=352004621

Quite amazing to me that this is my first recumbent, and I can already be faster than my DF. John this is an amazing bike -- it is just making me wonder what Vendetta is like!! I am thinking about taking another long route home this evening - about 60 km. I have not done both morning and evening long routes in a single day as I find myself too beat after a full day of work and 100km of riding, but one of my goals was to do that on Silvio being faster and more comfortable.

I will write another thread more specifically on the commuting and heavy traffic aspect as I know some people are wondering about that.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
It sounds like the new Silvio

It sounds like the new Silvio has gotten a bit closer to the old Vendetta's performance envelope.

At the Waterford track which has one small hill and is not totally flat otherwise, averaging 32.2kph for the one hour time trial was pretty easy on the Vendetta - and that was without adequate training and having only had the bike for 2 weeks.

That was my first one hour time trial in public so I was nervous and didn't want to burn myself out trying too hard and embarrass myself or the Vendetta so I tried to ride at my ultra pace or a little faster. I was surprised at my resulting average. I was expecting to average 29.8kph.

I suspect your performance on the Vendetta would still be a few kph better than your Silvio.

Obviously you must sell your Cervelo S2 and get a Vendetta so you can let us know if the new Vendetta 2.0 is still 7% faster than the new Silvio 2.0 as John states in the bottom of the testimonials on the Vendetta page.

:D

-Eric

Ivan

Guru
Don't give me dangerous ideas

Don't give me dangerous ideas Eric!! Though my original plan was in fact to sell Cervelo if I could do everything with Silvio. Too many bikes, too little room.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I think I said Vendetta 1.0

I think I said Vendetta 1.0 was 7% faster than Silvio 1.5. 7% faster than Silvio 2.0 is quite the demand.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Yeah, I didn't word that very

Yeah, I didn't word that very well John, but that is what I meant - pre v2 Vendetta was 7% faster than pre v2 Silvio so now let's compare v2 V to v2 S and see how much v2 S has closed the gap.

I was just trying to get Ivan to volunteer to be the guinea pig to help find the answer.

-Eric

Ivan

Guru
Heh heh...just heard of my

Heh heh...just heard of my first referral "customer" in Singapore from the recumbent Facebook group in town. Welcome Roy! He just ordered a Silvio 2!

mauler

Thanks, Ivan!
If Cruzbike can

Thanks, Ivan!

If Cruzbike can send me my Silvio sooner than end-September, the sooner I can post pictures of my adventure!

Kenneth Jessett

So, is it possible to measure

So, is it possible to measure how much faster the Vendetta is over the Silvio? Or is that too arcane a concern?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
So, is it possible to measure

So, is it possible to measure how much faster the Vendetta is over the Silvio? Or is that too arcane a concern?

It is possible. What one really wants to have to do it is the same power meter on two different bikes, so you can measure how much power it takes to go at a given speed. You won't really get an answer like "The Vendetta is 7% than the Silvio", but you might get "With Eric riding, the Vendetta is 7% faster at 250 W power level" (Different riders have different aerodynamic profiles).

Note that, in principle, you also have to worry about if a given rider can produce the same power on both bikes. Given that the position of the Vendetta and Silvio aren't that different, this isn't a huge concern (although probably still a measurable difference). When comparing DF to RWD 'bents to MBB 'bents, this is an issue.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
So what are you say'n about

So what are you say'n about my aerodynamic profile mister!

:D

-Eric

PS - Vendetta Project Phoenix has begun...

Ivan

Guru
Build and Accessory Update

Here is an update of what my Silvio 2.0 looks like now. I fitted a large Topeak tail bag. These expand to nearly 3L so look a bit daft on a DF road bike, but it is sized really well on Silvio. I love having that extra space! I have since changed my water bottle to a Lezyne Flow. They hold my bottle much firmer and it gave me place to clip my Smart Lunar 1W bike light using a velcro strap (it's more horizontal than it looks!). My mini-pump uses it's standard bottle cage holder and all is attached with my Minoura saddle clamp bottle cage holder (mounted upside down). I have fitted Crud RoadRacer Mk II mudguards described here.

photo+5.JPG height:585px; width:780px