Silvio 2.0 questions ?

Martinius Berg

Dear Forum members . I have some minor questions about the Silvio 2.0 and it would be great if you could share your experiences with me :)

1 Is the Silvio 2.0 sized for using an 11 speed gear cassette ?
2 What is the diameter of the front fork dropout holes ?
3 What inner distance in mm does the front fork legs have ( 110 or 130 mm or ...... ) ?
4 As the Silvio is a FWD do you normally exchange the front and rear wheel ?
How many spokes are ideal to have in the front and rear wheel ( 28 , 32, 36 or.... ?

My body mass weight is 80 kg , body length is 190 cm and i am fairly well trained :)

5.What would the ideal road racing wheel/gear cassette combination be to achieve high speed but stabillety ?
6 What is the ideal crank arm size ( 165 mm , 170 mm or ....... ?
7 what size q rings are normally recommended when wanting average high speed in different road situations with the Silvio ?

Thank you Martinius/Norway

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have XX1. The space between the drop-outs and the smallest cog was too small for the chain, so I put in a washer. No problems so far. The SRAM XX1 chainwheels are all really small, so I got a Race Face wide-narrow 44t and I like it.

Ivan_Liew

1. It's not sized for 11 speed, but fitting it can be done either with washers as spacers or moving the cassette a smidgeon closer to the spokes. It's no problem getting it to fit into the fork, but rather, as bladderhead mentions, getting the chain to clear the fork in the smallest sprocket.

4. Yes you exchange the wheels. Number of spokes are of course dependant on your weight and your intended load carriage and use. Note that on a DF, the front wheel typically takes 40-45% of the weight. But in Silvio, that same front wheel becomes the rear wheel and takes 50-55% of the weight. I use American Classic 420 Aero 3 wheels. I have no problems with spokes and the wheels remaining true at my 70kg weight.

5. If you are wanting high speed then get the standard 53/39 chainrings and 11-32 cassette. Many of us are getting 11-32 as it gives us much better range than the typical DF 11-28. Some are going for the super wide 12-36 if you live in hilly country. My Silvio is 53/39 and 11-32, so starting on flat ground I use the 53-32 combination then only need to shift my RD to get up to speed.

6. Get it on the shorter side than you are accustomed to on a DF. While you lose leverage, many find the smaller crank radius beneficial. In addition, having shorter cranks gives you more knee/thigh clearance with your handlebar. The higher BB you have, the more this is appreciated.

7. I don't have Q-Rings but knowing that you would want something similar to 53/39 circular chainring will help you choose your Q-Ring.

Martinius Berg

Ivan and Bladderhead Thanks

This is exactly the information i needed. ! wanna thank you guys fore your practicall help. A question : Ivan is there much difference in riding experiences people have with the two different Silvio models 2.0 versus S 3.0 compared , or is there none difference what so ever ? Due to the S 3.0 updates , does the bike have better riding behaviour or are there other aspects i overlooked ?

Some futures i noticed which are different for the new Silvio S 3.0:
As the new S 3.0 has some minor updates like the wider front fork /11 speed , white color instead of black , headlight connector, wider / longer front boom ?

Sinc. Martinius.

Last edited:

Ivan_Liew

Hi Martinius: You are right about the differences. I don't think the geometry was changed in any way so I think the riding behaviour is the same. However, I only have S2.0 so I can't really say for sure. To me, the biggest difference is ability to have wider tyres, official 11 speed support, wider boom, and carbon seat included (you didn't mention that). I doubt this would make a real world difference to the rider. If you can buy a used Silvio 2 at a fair price then I wouldn't hesitate! :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Just to confirm what other said. On the S2.1 frame you can file the paint off and get an 11sp to fit; or you can do like I do on my vendetta and add a thing 1mm washter between the fork and the wheel. In theory you can put it between the wheel and the retaining bolt but that will mess with the dishing on the wheel by 1mm. I think our two 11speeds (S2.1 and V2.0) have 3000 road miles on them in that configuration this year.

Ivan_Liew

To clarify confusion, we users differentiate between Silvio 2.0 (small number like mine) and Silvio 2.1 (more of them). There is very little difference between them, certainly none regarding 11-speed compatibility and tyre clearance.

The one difference I remember is that the end of the frame where headrest slots in is closed with foam on 2.0 and closed with aluminium on 2.1 - some other very minor changes too.

Martinius Berg

Hey Guys
Thanks again for this excellent information.

I have a minor question to Bob Pank Ratz wich is about the solution on your Vendetta ? Do i understand you right that you have added a washer between the fork and the cassette side of the axle or is there a 1 mm washer on both sides of the front wheel axle ? Will this solution work fore the Silvio 2.0 bike as the front fork might be a bit different then your Vendetta ? B.t.w. Does this solution have any impact on the chain tensioner adjustments of the chain + and - / left or right ?

Regards Martinius.
Just to confirm what other said. On the S2.1 frame you can file the paint off and get an 11sp to fit; or you can do like I do on my vendetta and add a thing 1mm washter between the fork and the wheel. In theory you can put it between the wheel and the retaining bolt but that will mess with the dishing on the wheel by 1mm. I think our two 11speeds (S2.1 and V2.0) have 3000 road miles on them in that configuration this year.

Last edited:

ratz

Do i understand you right that you have added a washer between the fork and the cassette side of the axle or is there a 1 mm washer on both sides of the front wheel axle ?

It's somewhat wheel dependent. I have one wheel set that worked for an entire year on the new reynolds wheel I have added a single 1mm washer on the drive side between the axle stop and the fork. That's enough to keep the chain from rubbing on the fork and has no impact on the angle of the chain line. On the Silvio I simply sanded off the paint in that tiny spot to get the chain to run without rubbing. The Silver/Chrome finish on the V2.1 fork is very thick and sanding it was not getting me the desired result so I put the washer in, tested it, and never looked back.

Martinius Berg

Thank you very much for all this information :) I `ll understand the tech install and the way it works now "Eureka" !!!!!!!

Martinius.

It's somewhat wheel dependent. I have one wheel set that worked for an entire year on the new reynolds wheel I have added a single 1mm washer on the drive side between the axle stop and the fork. That's enough to keep the chain from rubbing on the fork and has no impact on the angle of the chain line. On the Silvio I simply sanded off the paint in that tiny spot to get the chain to run without rubbing. The Silver/Chrome finish on the V2.1 fork is very thick and sanding it was not getting me the desired result so I put the washer in, tested it, and never looked back.

jond

Zen MBB Master

plus 1 on the washer on the v. just dont lose it on a flat tyre change.

jond

Zen MBB Master
LOL no one makes you ride home on the 11T; just resist the urge to cash that Roadie :p

i do try to let them go i really really do. but if they have not been reciprocal to my good natured hello well then it seems the vendetta shows them a turn of speed with a smile of alacrity. of course i am flawed and one day i will be able to ride without such stupidity. maybe when i am eighty . until then "mission's" statement is clear. "any bike that passes shall be re-passed."

ratz

i do try to let them go i really really do. but if they have not been reciprocal to my good natured hello well then it seems the vendetta shows them a turn of speed with a smile of alacrity. of course i am flawed and one day i will be able to ride without such stupidity. maybe when i am eighty . until then "mission's" statement is clear. "any bike that passes shall be re-passed."

The man on the porche only needs to demonstrate once in a great while what that means. Word of mouth handles the rest. Or in other words just beat the right guy at the right time. :rolleyes: