Silvio 2.0 Repair Stand Question

BentBierz

I'm contemplating making an adapter so that I can use my repair stand and have both wheels off of the ground. I am thinking on using the support bracket hole at the rear of the bike as shown in the picture below. I can easily come up with an adapter that will work and will be quick to install but curious whether this might put some type of stress in that area of the frame making it not worth the risk. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm posting this at BROL also on the new MDD/FWD forum.

Silvio%202_0(1).JPG height:667px;

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I would think that gusset

I would think that gusset area should be OK to use as John said that hole was designed to use to lock the bike up.

-Eric

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Grab onto the boom of the

Grab onto the boom of the front triangle, I would. That's where all the adjusting action occurs.

BBL

Lifting Silvio 2

BentBierz ......

Nice Shop!

I have been thinking of something similar, although I would not want to load up that flange that you are point to. If you press your two thumbs on that flange you can see it deflect. So, that's not a lot of load. I was thinking of a clam shell arrangement that would slide onto the flange below the one you are pointing to, one on each side. The solid model of how these might look is shown below.

Clam%20Holder%20Assembly-1.jpg height:534px

These would work well on my maintenance stand, although I am not sure they would work with all stands. Mine has two clamp sections that come together on a lead screw. I would make the parts from Delrin. Delrin will not scratch the painted surface. Ideally, the web of the clam shell would be small enough to allow compression of the clam quarters onto the flange of the bike. The tapered grooves would insure that the clam shells remained cylindrical. This word description may be challenging to follow but hopefully with the solid model, you will get the picture.

I have successfully lifted my Silvio 2 from this position without any special adapters, but you have to be very careful. I don't like doing it. The reason I do it is that I want to get my chain horizontal. I use the Park chain cleaning tool. Unless the reservoir is horizontal, the degreasing agent spills. I use compressed air to blow debris from inside the chain bushings, dry, then lubricate each bushing individually. The chain wants to be horizontal for all of this.

What do you think?

BBL

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Well it's a down under bike

Well it's a down under bike so I figured that was the correct orientation.

-Eric

BBL

Silvio 2 Lift Point

I finally got around to making the parts that I described earlier. Time to clean my chain. They work pretty well. The clam shell halves look like this. These parts are made from black Delrin. Delrin is a plastic. It does not scratch aluminum.

BBLCS4.jpg

On the rack, the bike can be rotated in any position as long as the drive wheel is pointed down.

BBLCS1.jpg

I like to use the Park chain cleaning tool. The chain needs to be horizontal for it to work.

BBLCS3.jpg

Clam shells interface with the rack as shown below.

BBLCS2.jpg

BentBierz

Hi BBL,Nice job...looks very

Hi BBL,

Nice job...looks very slick!!! If it continues to work out I would be interested in purchasing one from you unless the set-up time would make it cost prohibitive.

BTW...I never thanked you for the compliments you gave me on my garage. Here is another picture (panoramic so hope it uploads ok).

Garage%20Bike%20Shop.jpg height:377px;

BBL

I Made Two Sets

BentBierz .....
I thought you may be interested, so I made two sets, one for me and one for you. If you send me your address on Cruzbike mail, I will send you a set. There is one mod that I want to make before I send it. The clearance between the clam shells and the bike frame on the front side is a little closer than I would like. I want to increase the chamfer on the front side of the clam shells so that there is no chance they could crush the bike frame. I need to get back into the queue in my shop to get this done before I send it out to you. I hope it fits into your stand. Mine just did make it.

BentBierz

Clamp Adapter That BBL Sent Me

I finally got around to using the clamp adapter (back is finally feeling better so back to doing bike things). Thanks BBL...the clam shells are sweet!!!

I had been contemplating what I would use to hold the two clam shells in place while I was putting the bike in the stand clamp. Not to worry...the machined slot is a very nice slip/slight pressure fit so that the shells stay in place and don't move while trying to get it situated in the clamp. This is MUCH better than the other ways I had previously clamped the bike in the stand.

Here are a few pictures:

]
photo21_zps7872cb0a.jpg

photo4_zps2599f2f1.jpg
[/url]

BBL

Clamp Adapter

BentBierz .....
I didn't do anything special to keep my clamp adapters from moving. Just slid them into place and lifted the bike onto the stand. If yours are sliding around, maybe a piece of electrical tape would do. If the clamps are very loose, they will not distribute the load well across the web.

Glad to hear that your back is on the mend. I was doing so well this year. Did a 500 mile trip from St. Augustine to Key West in March. Now, I've been hit with allergy problems (pollen). I was out pretty much all week. Yesterday I did a whopping 5 miles. Today I managed 15 miles. Hopefully I won't be up all night coughing.

Hope your good health continues.

BBL

BentBierz

Hello BBL
Sorry for not being

Hello BBL

Sorry for not being clearer but when I said "Not to worry...the machined slot is a very nice slip/slight pressure fit so that the shells stay in place and don't move while trying to get it situated in the clamp..." I was in fact saying that my worries of how to hold it in place were unfounded because once I actually had a chance to use them they had a very nice fit requiring nothing else to keep them in place...a fine piece of machining to the proper tolerances. I very much appreciate you thinking of me and sending them my way...this will be the only way I chuck up my bike from now on.

Thanks for the good wishes. I am actually a pretty healthy person but my back just has not cooperated consistently since my first operations in 2009. I have faith though that I will eventually get back to a point where I'm biking more than going to physical therapy. Good luck with your allergy issues and hope you can kick up those miles shortly.