Silvio 2.0 Seat Mount Modification

BentBierz

I have a carbon fiber seat that I want to put on my Silvio but the hollow support ribs on the back of the seat in the area of the seat pan land on the Silvio seat pan "wing" bracket. I have been trying to figure out how I wanted to get around this and the only option that allows the seat to fit the way I want it to is to trim the wings on each side so that the seat will sit flush with the body rather than riding high on the support ribs. I would drill new holes on the wings in closer to mount the seat. I will also mount the back which shouldn't be too difficult to do.

I fully realize this is one of those things that "once it's done, it's done" type of mods but if there is a downside to this it isn't readily apparent to me. In fact, I am convinced there is little-to-no downside for using the carbon fiber seat. I guess where I question the mod is if I was to put the original seat back on. Even then, if I didn't feel like the seat pan was stable enough due to the width of the wings now being less and the new holes being closer together, I could always run a thin flat bar for more support.

Anyway...would appreciate anyone's thoughts and/or precautionary advice. Thanks.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
It is the lateral seasawing

It is the lateral seasawing felt only when putting one leg down that demands those wings. With a one piece seat with ribs, it is possible this reason would vanish, but it would have to be tried to know for sure.

BentBierz

Thanks John...I will report

Thanks John...I will report back on the results if I go ahead with the modification.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Here is my original post with

Here is my original post with my CF seat mod:

http://cruzbike.com/i-ordered-silvio...built-it-...and-my-first-ride...and-300-miles-later

Here is post by others:

http://cruzbike.com/silvio-2.0-modified-seat

BentBierz

Thanks Rick...I've actually

Thanks Rick...I've actually looked at these threads many times and have posted in each. Looking at the pictures again, It's still kind of hard for me to tell whether or not the seat ribs land on the wing bracket or not i.e. did you drill through the ribs to mount your seat? I was concerned about doing that on my seat so I contacted Nazca and got the following response:

"We advise not to drill through the ribs (there is nothing inside them but air, it's just two thin layers, glued in the middle and on the edges), but [instead] adjust the seat support so that it fits between the ribs.

The hollow ribs give strength to the seat. If you make holes, the ribs will weaken substantially and in combination with the torsion (that you're causing while cycling) the seat will break."

The response I got from Nazca is the primary reason I asked about trimming the wing bracket so that the bracket would fit in between the ribs rather than riding in top like it does right now in my dry fit-up.

?I am planning to do something similar to what you did with the polyethylene block so that I can change the angle some but still a little undecided which way I want to go with the seat pan mount.