Silvio 2.0 vs Bacchetta Corsa

noahvale

This is for Lisa (thebean, itself). She asked about my thoughts comparing the two.

First a little about me. I got into serious riding in 1982. I trained hard and was a match sprinter on the track. I was good, but not great. Back then I weighed 190 and had 24" thighs, 6' tall. I have worked construction as an electrician all my life. I moved to the office in 1992. I had 5/6 cervical fusion in 1994. Probably should have had two removed, I have lots of bone spurs and a big lump where the fusion was. I can't look down at a desk or monitor, everything has to be straight in front. I have nerve damage in my right hand, the end of my thumb and forefinger tingle all the time. I thought I would never ride again, then I discovered recumbents. I got an Actionbent in 2003, a Bacchetta Strada in 2009, then in 2011 I got the Corsa. I rode a lot for several years, then not as much. Now I'm 62, weigh 230 and still have 24" thighs. I average riding 60 - 120 miles a week.

Anyway, my observations after a week of riding the Silvio:

The Bacchetta Corsa is rock solid and tracks like an arrow. I average 16-19 mph. It accelerates well and I can hold 20-22 when I am really trying. It's terrible in the hills. I'm not much of a spinner, I mash more than spin. I think I have used the 30 tooth inner ring of the triple about twice, and that was on 10% grades. When coming to a stop, I can sit upright and unclip one foot and stop. I use Speedplay Zero pedals and road shoes. My seat is at about the same as the Silvio, 25-27 degrees with a headrest. I use a Poweron Cycling fiberglass seat which is wide and comfortable. The headrest does bother my neck some, I can feel it when I get home.

The Silvio is a totally different feeling bike. Same recline, but the bars are much lower. I feel like I'm sitting in the Silvio, rather than on it. I can not sit up without standing and sliding back in the seat. The seat is much more narrow and the headrest feels like it is a part of the seat and to me it's necessary for stability. It's very comfortable and my neck feels fine after the ride. According to my Garmin, I'm averaging about an 80 cadence, on the Corsa my average was about 72. The Silvio accelerates like a rocket. I feel that it is easier to maintain speed on it. On the one little rise in my neighborhood ride, I did notice that it climbs very easy. I think that after a few months on the Silvio, I will be much faster on it. Right now I'm pretty much the same as I was on the Corsa. I used to get "hotfoot" on the Corsa, probably because of the mashing. So far I have not had that problem on the Silvio. The lower bottom bracket and the higher cadence is probably the reason.

scabinetguy

Bacchetta vs Vendetta

I have a Vendetta.The group of guys I ride with all have Bacchettas. On average they are about 5 years younger than I am, I'm 62. On the flats they are quite fast (23-24mph) and I keep up just fine, but when we start to climb they don't even begin to stay with me. For some reason they all shift to very low gears and high cadence. I use a compact crank with an 11/23 cassette. I think the power transfer is far superior on the Vendetta along with the ability to take advantage of upper body strength. I also have a Silvio 1.5 and it is an excellent climber I use a compact crank with an 11/28 cassette and regularly climb 10 and 12% grades.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
For some reason they all

For some reason they all shift to very low gears and high cadence.

To reduce power loss in the frame, by applying lower forces but at a higher rate, they avoid losses associated with higher forces. This phenomena has evolved to best utilise a flexing drive structure.

noahvale

Now that I'm been riding the

Now that I'm been riding the 2.0 for a couple of weeks, I wanted to update this thread.
It's fast on flat ground, but just a little faster than the Corsa. My average speeds have been about the same.
One huge advantage that I have noticed - no more hot foot!! That's a real downfall of the Corsa for me. I really can't pin down why it happens, but a lot of stick bike riders have that problem. It's not the lower bottom bracket, I had an Actionbent with an even lower bottom bracket and the hot foot was just as bad.
Starting off is getting easier, the key has been to really take it easy until moving and balanced. Stopping is easy, just unclip, hold the brakes and put the feet down. Getting out of the seat is harder, I can't sit up without hitting the handle bars. I usually just hold the brakes and pick the front end up off the ground and slide back. It's weird, but no big deal.
Bottom line is that I like it, and plan to keep riding it a lot. The brifters and Sram Force drivetrain are awesome. Shifts great and stops well.

mickjordan

Hotfoot

I used to get hotfoot on the Bacchetta CA2, but not on the Silvio 1.5 or the Lightning P38, and I attribute this to the lower BB. It ahs something to do with the seat also, but I can't quite decide what. I gave up the CA2 because I disliked the high BB and the seat.

noahvale

I think the lack of hotfoot

I think the lack of hotfoot is from the side to side motion while pedaling. On a rear wheel drive bike the bottom bracket does not move at all, so your feet never pivot any side to side. I have a trike as well as the Corsa. I get even worse hotfoot on it and the BB is lower on it. I've never heard of a DF rider getting hotfoot if they are wearing proper shoes.