Silvio 2.1 Arrived!

mauler

With thanks to Cruzbike, my Silvio 2.1 arrived a few days ago.

Unfortunately, its arrival coincided with a weekend trip so the assembly had to wait.

I believe this is the second Silvio in Singapore, after Ivan's.

I spent a bit of Monday afternoon and evening getting the frame together. I need to get wheels for it this afternoon, along with brakes, cables, etc. I usually Di2 my rides but for this one I may go mechanical first.

Here are the before and partially-after pictures:

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

More pictures to follow after final completion.

Cruzbike: I have some gripes about the assembly manual. More on that later.

counterpoint

re assembly manual

Some issues with the manual:
- You need some of the tools twice as you'll be tightening M5 CS male/female bolts. Also, for some bolts one of the Allen wrenches needs be a single 'L' shape, and cannot be part of a multi-tool.
- You'll want a decent round file to widen non-matching holes.
- Ysome unfamiliar parts (like suspension preload adjustor) were hard to identify.
- Seat stay link plate and frame link plate were not identified (the first has a center indentation).
- The rear stays have a bulge on one side. Would be helpful to say it should face up.
- No mention which parts require lubrication or where it would be wrong.

In general: it would be good to have a collection of forum links available with assembly issues, tips and images.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  I got mine on the 9th so im

I got mine on the 9th so im sill working on it.I put the bulge on the rear stay on top is that right? Left the gaskets on the link plates so have to redo this otherwise no other problems so far. How about the headrest clamp do you still need it? My seat pan does not have any holes for the clamps. Jack

mauler

My Silvio is almost complete.

My Silvio is almost complete. I need to get brifters or change to a flatbar so that my existing trigger shifters and brake levers will go on.

During the hunt for brakes, I walked into a LBS and asked if they had mechanical disc brakes. They pleasantly surprised me by telling me they had TRP's Hy|Rds to sell. I use the Hy|Rd on my Velokraft so that was a no-brainer.

I got American Classic's TCX disc wheels. They were relatively inexpensive. I've no prior experience with AC's products so no comments for now.

Jack: My seat didn't have the holes for the clamps either. I simply inserted the headrest frame into the scissors jacks, and tightened the bolts.

Yes, the bulges on both the front and rear stays should face upwards.

I guess I'll be busy for the next couple of days as I get this together.

counterpoint

I got the TRP Hy/Rd disk

I got the TRP Hy/Rd disk brakes, too. Chances are you'll be happy with American Classic. If you got the one suitable for tubeless: go for it.
My seat also didn't have holes for the clamps.

mauler

I find it odd the that seat

I find it odd the that seat back is simply velcro'd onto the frame.

I've ripped off the seat back many times by attempting to carry the bike by holding onto the seat. I guess some habits need to change with this ride.

After looking at some of the stuff I need to do, I may just Di2 the thing instead of playing with mechanical bits. I've got a set from my ICE Vortex that I can use. The Vortex isn't ridden much these days. I seem to prefer the 2-wheelers more.

Ivan

Guru
Yes! Silvio 2.1 with disc

Yes! Silvio 2.1 with disc brakes and Di2 would be a great comparison next to my SRAM Force! Come to think of it, have not seen pics with two Silvio 2's yet...

Mauler is known to have the most bents in our 5 million population, so will be interesting to hear of what he thinks of his latest ride... Especially in comparison with his Velokraft!

Jack, what do you mean your seat pan doesn't have holes for the clamps?

defjack

Zen MBB Master
   I mean instructions show 2

I mean instructions show 2 clamps from headrest to top of seat pan.I have 4 extra clamps . For cabling the back brake just leave the seat pan off and its easy to guide the cable through the holes in the frame. Im getting there just have to do some cabling today. Jack

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes Jack, 
I adjusted the

Yes Jack,
I adjusted the position of the holes in the top of the HF tube so that you could get a finger in and guide the cable out again.
John

Jeremy S

Dude
Ivan, it looks like there

Ivan, it looks like there have been plenty of changes since our Silvio 2.0's. The instruction manual now shows clamps that look like they bolt onto the seat back above where the HF tube ends, and clamp the seat back onto the headrest legs/posts. I guess Jack is missing the bolt holes in the seat back.

mauler

Jeremy, those are the missing

Jeremy, those are the missing holes. I haven't got those holes in my seat.

I think it's a fine idea - if it's an idea - that the seat back be easily removed for adjusting the rear damper position, but I feel that some sort of locking mechanism to secure the seat back would be a fine idea too.

It's now the fourth day since I spilled the contents of the box onto my floor for assembly. I've had the opportunity to very briefly and gingerly ride Silvio down my driveway, using my shoe-shod feet as brakes, a la Flintstones.

The MBB does take some getting used to, having ridden on regular recumbents with a non-moving boom.

Balancing wasn't a problem when I didn't pedal. My driveway wasn't long enough for me to get a better feel. The derailleur was also in the highest gear, so that really crimped my initial experience.

I'll probably spend the afternoon today ripping the Di2 stuff out of my Vortex and transferring them to the Silvio. I'll put up some pictures after it's done.

On a technical side, I found it strange that I couldn't mount a 160 mm brake disc onto the front fork. When I did that, the adaptors mount for 160 mm discs didn't work, meaning they weren't long enough to read the I.S. points . An LBS mechanic said the I.S. points on the fork were probably sized for 140 mm discs. When I swapped the 140 mm disc I had placed on the rear with the 160 mm disc at the front, all fitted fine!

I could change the adaptor mounts but that meant carting the bike to an LBS, or buying stuff trial-and-error that may not fit.

So, now I have a smaller disc brake in front, where I need the most stopping power! HAHAHA!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Mauler,
 Try an adaptor for a

Mauler,
Try an adaptor for a 180 mm F disc or a 160mm Rear, as the adaptor for the Silvio front IS the rear brake adaptor of a DD bike.

SS

mauler

Thanks for the advice, SS!
A

Thanks for the advice, SS!

A F180/R160 was what I tried first. That didn't work. I may try, if I find the stopping power inadequate at the front, an R180 adaptor.

mauler

The electric shifters gave

The electric shifters gave been installed and adjusted for the Silvio.

Now I need to find a way to stash away - neatly - the extra lengths of cables.

Then I need to tape the handle bar after I've attached the various accessories I usually have on my rides.

I am quietly hoping that I may ride it in earnest tomorrow, however briefly. The test rides up and down my driveway have been unsatisfactory. Grrr...

mauler

My brake fit issue was really

My brake fit issue was really a non-issue.

I must be getting old.

I've swapped the 160 mm disc to the front again. More bite for me!

I'll be putting in a longer ride this afternoon at a park than the pitifully short ones at home. Coming over from low racers, balance wasn't an issue but the MBB threw up some curve balls.

I need to re-learn my riding skills.

scabinetguy

MBB

The MBB will soon be a non-issue also, you will actually prefer the MBB later on. Now you can experience the efficiency of front wheel drive...Steve

mauler

You're Right!

Steve, after my almost-2-hour ride today, I am beginning to see the benefits of a FWD.

The Silvio was a great bike to ride, the MBB notwithstanding.

At the park, with a great expanse of pavement, I was able to stretch my legs a whole lot more than at home.

I found the bike needed less effort to ride quickly than my VK2. To better compare both rides, I need to swap out the Silvio's drive wheel with the one on the VK2, which has a 11-34 road cassette compared to the SLX 11-36 on the Silvio. The chainrings are the same 53-39 on both. What I am saying is that the Silvio is potentially - and it probably is - faster than my VK2.

As I told my laid-back riders group on Facebook, I found the Silvio more confidence-inspiring through turns, bends, etc.

After viewing Jim Parker's video on turning a Cruzbike, I tried pedalling through a turn. That worked a treat!

As I mentioned earlier, coming over from a low racer, balancing on this one wasn't much of a difference. I'm sure I'll get the hang of the MBB very soon.

On today's outbound leg, I was wobbly as I tried to get the hang of that swinging boom, cycling at a very leisurely 25kph. On the inbound leg, having gathered confidence, courage, a fish filet burger, chips, and Coke, I rode at a faster clip, averaging more than 30kph.

No accidents today, which was good.

I am not sure if I'll be able to put in my Silvio time before my 2-week holiday next week. If I do, I'll report my experience here.

Pictures will follow in due course.

(Now I can understand firsthand the enthusiasm for Cruzbikes.)

scabinetguy

FWD

Good to see that things are getting better. Based on my experience, take it slow and easy, don't try to progress too fast. You'll find that every time you ride the experience will get better and better until all of the strange sensations become natural. It's weird how your brain compensates and adapts. I started out with the Vendetta straight from DF bikes so the change was pretty radicle. There's no way I would go back to DF bikes again. Good luck

mauler

Thanks!

Thanks, Steve!

For me, my radical experience occurred in 2010 when I got myself an Optima Baron. I bear the battle scars of a convert. One of the injuries have not healed (yet, I hope), and there's a numb spot on my left upper thigh.

My experience on the Silvio was thus less radical, so I found yesterday's ride pleasantly predictable (to an extent) for balance.

I agree with you that subsequent rides will make the odd sensations go away, like they did with my low racer. It wasn't long before I felt very much at home with the Baron. I am sure it'll be the same with the Silvio.

At any rate, I have a bad habit of naming my rides. My Vortex is named Flash; the Baron is called Snowball; the VK is Black Rose.

Because of the size of the Silvio, and the relative silence of it when ridden, the Silvio is now Whisper.

mauler

Whisper.
She's still

Whisper.

She's still works-in-progress. I need to drill some holes to run the wiring inside the boom.

The handlebar position allowed me to use the TT brifters but that's not ideal when riding. I'll reposition that and use standard brifters.

If I may say so, those TRP brakes look gorgeous!

1489084_10201745085003025_615456699_n.jpg