Silvio 2.1 Arrived!

mauler

Thanks, Rose City Recumbent

Thanks, Rose City Recumbent Cycles!

Thanks, Jeremy! Which part of NE do you live in? I went to live in Springfield, Longmeadow, and Hampden, Mass between 1987 and 1991.

It's summer here all year, barring the rainy seasons.

Jeremy S

Dude
I've been living around

I've been living around Cambridge, Mass since college. I have visited Singapore (during November) and was shocked by the weather there.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Very nice Silvio! Now you and

Very nice Silvio! Now you and Ivan should team up and shoot a video of the Silvio-2's in action! What say you?
wink_smile.gif

mauler

Jeremy, did you find it too

Jeremy, did you find it too warm and humid?

Thanks, ak-tux! I'm not sure about videos, though. As it is, I'm camera-shy. HAHAHA!

mauler

Hydration Hack

Here's something I did.

Following up on Ivan's idea of mounting a water bottle behind the headrest, I got a Minoura SBH-300 cage holder and clamped that to Whisper's headrest frame, holding 2 bottles. Mine are Polar's 24-ounce bottles.

I got myself a length of silicone tube, cut it into equal lengths, attached those to a Y-junction, along with an existing drinking tube I had been using.

I cable-tied a length of 20mm-thick PVC tube (I sprayed it matte black from its original white), with a couple of thin strips of rubber, to the headrest frame. This serves as my taillight holder, handlebar bag holder, and drink tube holder.

The other bags on either sides of the seat were hung from 15mm PVC tubes (also sprayed black). Those are, in turn, held by pipe holders screwed onto the underside of the seat.

I've not used the hydration system as of writing this but I'll have a chance tomorrow when I ride in Singapore's hot and humid conditions (not that I drink a lot, though).

Whisper is turning out to be rather heavy, what with all the mods...!

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

mauler

With all seriousness, I need

In all seriousness, I need to find a way to hang this on my rides. Maybe some sort of wire hanger.

IMG_0057%20%C6%92.jpg

1happyreader

zen/child method
Very nice mounting options

Very nice , your use of pcv has given yourself multiple mounting options.

I really like the height of the left taillight.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
The "concern"  I have about

The "concern" I have about your water bottle setup is that once one bottle is empty, you won't be able to draw water from the other bottle. You might be better of with a single tube where you switch the bottle by hand...

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Or a valve to control which

Or a valve to control which bottle you are pulling from...

Yes, that would be cool. :D

(I thought about suggesting that, but didn't want to cause any more trouble than I already was...)

Jeremy S

Dude
Hi Roy, yes it was quite hot

Hi Roy, yes it was quite hot and humid, combined with torrential downpours every day. Of course Boston weather is crazy in its own way.

mauler

Thanks, 1happyreader!
Thanks,

Thanks, 1happyreader!

Thanks, Charles and Eric! I understand your concerns.

It's something I'm aware of, if one bottle empties before the other. Interestingly, I went on a longish ride (in the local context), and the bottles appeared to drain equally. That being the case, I wouldn't have to worry about one bottle emptying way before the other.

The valve control is a good idea. I'll use clothes pegs! That valve idea reminded me of the fuel selector switch on aeroplanes.

mauler

Jeremy, the weather here can

Jeremy, the weather here can be uncomfortable for the uninitiated, but it's nothing compared with the summers of some places I've been to, like Japan. I was in Japan last summer. I couldn't wait to leave for the heat and humidity.

If you come this way again, give me and Ivan a shout!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
 Interestingly, I went on a

Interestingly, I went on a longish ride (in the local context), and the bottles appeared to drain equally. That being the case, I wouldn't have to worry about one bottle emptying way before the other.

If everything is setup perfectly, this is what I would expect to happen. I just don't know how "perfect" needs to be. :D

If your clothespin solution works, you could carry one and only use it in the case where you need to pinch off an empty one and otherwise just use it as you designed. Kinda best of all worlds...

mauler

Here's what I did to secure

Here's what I did to secure the swinging boom for when I load Whisper onto the SeaSucker Talon (or Mini Bomber).

It's fairly secure with minimal movement. Of course, it's nowhere near as rigid as a regular bike but it'll do.

It does add some amount of stress on the headrest frame but that's transferred to the main frame, so I think it's okay.

What I need to hack now is a slightly less reclined position for my head. I'm already thinking of Velcro'ing insulation material to the headrest frame.

Pictures will be put up after I get that done, IF I get that done.

2014-01-18%2008.23.05.jpg

2014-01-18%2008.22.53.jpg height:765px;

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
You might try around the base

You might try around the base of the hoods for more stability.

Those loops you have all the way from the handlebars back to the headrest are probably going to generate a lot of vibration or flapping in the wind at car speeds and they won't hold the bars as securely. I would loop around the hood base with the loop cinched up snug around the hood. A single strap back to the headrest with another loop cinched in at that end. That way you only have two straps that span the gap rather then the four you have now.

The buzzing at speed can be annoying to listen to but can also abrade contact patches depending on how the straps are seated around whatever they are holding.

I wonder if you took a length of webbing and sew velcro onto each end for the loops and loop the velcro ends around the hood and headrest frame if that would remain secure traveling at car speeds? If so, that would give you a very quick way to attach and remove these " stays " and the length would then be customized to exactly waht you needed without buckles, snaps, excess tailing, etc.

-Eric