Silvio 2.1 Arrived!

mauler

Hi Eric, thanks for the

Hi Eric, thanks for the tips.

The straps in the pictures were taken from Terracycle's Universal Trike Carrier. They were a bit long but I only wanted to test their viability for the Silvio. The straps don't generate any noise or vibration or flapping, at least not at my driving speeds. Terracycle recommended twisting the straps to prevent just that from happening.

I kept that low-ish to keep the prevent or limit some catastrophic event, like the bike flying off the SeaSuckers (I doubt that'll happen unless things aren't secured properly.).

I didn't think of looping the strap at the base of the hood perhaps for the reason that it's a Di2 brifter and that I didn't want it damaged. Although the original position pictured above was very secure, I tried your suggestion of looping beneath the hood. That worked fine too! Thanks!

Interesting that you should suggest webbing/Velcro because that was precisely what I did! I went to a nearby shop/fabricator with the TerraTrike straps and asked them to fabricate something similar, only shorter. I asked for 1.5m, which was only barely enough. Now I need another pair of straps of 2m each.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Mauler,
 Could you use

Dear Mauler,
Could you use the straps from the front wheel rim to the frame to stop the front moving as there would be a lot less load on the frame.

see the Softrider forum on hand brake

SS

mauler

Hello SS, thanks for the

Hello SS, thanks for the suggestion! However, that would not be stiff enough to keep the boom from moving.

More seriously, I damaged Whisper yesterday in my building's car park. Grrr...

As usual, I entered without problems BUT, this time, I took a short cut through some empty parking lots because I got to the office early, and the bike, on top of my car, hit something hanging from the ceiling. That effectively bent the rear triangle's web (on the main frame).

On impact, nothing happened, as in the bike remained on the SeaSucker, nothing broke, etc. The afternoon ride was terrible so I went home after cutting my ride short to see what the matter was.

I contacted Cruzbike and it was pretty much ascertained that it wasn't any manufacturing defect for the pronounced angle of the bend. Grrr...

I've since contacted Cruzbike about a replacement frame. I'm waiting to hear from them.

Grrr...

image001.jpg

mauler

On a slightly happier note, I

On a slightly happier note, I will be shot of that accursed car park on 30 January 2014. That's my last day with the company I've been with for the past 20 years (a family business, and I being a member of that family, too.)

Perhaps the new frame will fare better away from THAT car park!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Yikes! I swear your avatar is

Yikes! I swear your avatar is frowning even more than usual.

Sorry to hear about your aw-shucks.

If it just the end of the HF tube that got munged up and it doesn't extend down too far, I would be tempted just to trim off the squished in part, touch up the newly cut edge with some black pain, put it back together and pretend it never happened...

-Eric

mauler

Thanks, Eric, but it's a

Thanks, Eric, but it's a salvageable situation with a replacement frame.

Now I'm tempted to get a Vendetta, if only I won't be out of a job tomorrow!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Mauler,
  of the 10

Dear Mauler,
of the 10 rider friends 15 bikes have been badly damaged when on the roof of 6 riders!! These guys do NOT learn, even the guy with a STRONG chrome moly touring DD bike that was not damaged but ripped the roof rack off his Subaru, and destroyed his carport wooden eves. After a second bike (Carbon Fibre that WAS destroyed) he bought a tow ball mounted bike rack.

Please consider!

SS

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Mauler,
 Was the front

Dear Mauler,
Was the front end damaged?
If not, would you be interested in selling the front end, no crankset, derailier, brake, as a front fork that can take a disk is the main reason for me, in looking at the V 2.0. as self supported riding through the Swiss Aps, and the ?Pyrenees in 2015, will need good brakes.

SS

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I see the damage

Hi Mauler,

It took me a while, but I can see the extent of the damage. If I am right, the angle of the bolt heads which attach the main frame to the carboyoke show just how askew the frame is. It must have taken quite a blow!

Hopefully your auto or home insurance policy will cover the cost of a new frame. If you're lucky, you can salvage all the remaining frame components as a back-up or to recoup some of your costs should you elect to sell of the parts that are still in good repair.

mauler

SS, well, it's one of those

SS, well, it's one of those things that happen. It's a car park I've brought a whisper into without mishaps. If only I didn't take that detour!

Thanks, too, for the info on the rear carrier. Unfortunately, I don't think that's allowed in Singapore.

Generally, I don't think insurance will cover this damage.

Thanks for offering to buy over the front end. However, I won't be selling it because I managed to repair the bent web.

Things look good so I'll give it a ride next week.

Andrew, the blow wasn't as hard although it was sharp. I was misled into thinking that nothing was wrong because it didn't fall off the car.

Photo%201-2-14%2019%2027%2042.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
So you bent the large gusset

So you bent the large gusset at the base of the main frame tube?

If that is the case, I suspect bending it back has weakened it further and could be dangerous to ride, especially if you're on the heavy side like me and/or are heavily loaded.

Any wrinkles evident anywhere in the main frame tube? Also, try a tap test - use something like a quarter and lightly tap it over the surface all around the suspect area. Not sure it will help as this is usually used more to detect delamination but if you get a different sound in one area that is a mirror (e.g. left-right, top-bottom, etc) of the other it might indicate some deformation that isn't readily visible. Any deformation could be a point of weakness.

Find a way to measure various alignment points to a very precise measure. Record those measurements and use them to assess any change over time.

Be careful and check it frequently and ride light if you really want to give it a go but if it was me, I'd probably opt for a new frame.

There are various NDI (Non-Destructive Inspection) methodologies and tools available but finding such that could be used on your bike might be pretty expensive. Pretty interesting stuff and amazing at what you can detect.

-Eric

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Roy,
       from the

Dear Roy,
from the photo which included your hand, the seat frame SEEMS distorted in relation to the rear wheel stay. This could just be an optical illusion.
To check it, one way is to remove both wheels, and derailieur , reinstall the quick releases, and put the bike on the ground, checking that it is vertical.
Rung a tight string line from the Centre of each quick release and using a plumb bob and line, check how central, parts of the frame are to the central string line.

The bike shop might be able to check for you.

The new gusset might need to be 7005 T6, so it's the same as the main frame, but your LBS who did your previous welding on that different recumbent, would know.

Its a pity about the front end sale, which I had not thought about before, as I was comparing the whole bikes of V 1.0 ?to V2.1.

I will ask Cruzbike for a V2.1 front end price!

SS

mauler

Hello Eric,Thanks!Yes, I

Hello Eric,

Thanks!

Yes, I managed to bend the gusset back. It wasn't just the gusset got damaged but also the part that holds the rear carbon fibre leaf spring.

Yes, those parts have indeed weakened further, and, as you suggested, I intend to keep a close eye on the things as I ride.

The main frame itself doesn't appear damaged, the gusset assembly having taken the brunt of the impact.

I intend to ride the bike in the parks, and away from road traffic until I can determine if it's safe to do so, which I very much doubt for now.

Cruzbike hasn't replied, yet, my emails and message regarding a replacement frame. My one call to them went unanswered. I figure they must be busy with some event just now.

I also intend to, after the initial Chinese New Year festivities, to take the frame to our local bike Maestro for him to weld additional gussets to reinforce the weakened parts. He fabricated an excellently made, integral drop-out/disc brake mount, for my Velokraft for me so he gets my confidence for making Whisper safe. I'd have done myself but I lack both the expertise and the equipment.

[UPDATE]

John Tolhurst replied. It's the Chinese New Year period in Taiwan right now, as it is in Singapore, which means he won't be able to get anything until this week, if not the next.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear John, Jim, Maria,
Is it

Dear John, Jim, Maria,

Is it possible to buy a demo or new Silvio V2.0 disc front fork, and any parts required to suit a Silvio V1.0, as I think I need a disc brake for Swiss Alps descents with 20 kg of luggage, is required.

SS

mauler

SS, thanks!in the first

SS, thanks!

in the first picture, the gusset was bent, although the frame was fine.

An initial ride around my home's driveway confirmed the bike was tracking straight. I'll do another ride in the park tomorrow to further confirm things.

I'm sorry about the front end parts,and I'm sorry for not replying sooner. I'd wanted to exhaust repair possibilities. As well as hear from Cruzbike before I did anything. Apologies!

mauler

I did some pre- and post-ride

I did some pre- and post-ride measurements today. The bottom web did not budge, never mind there were some bumps along the way. It appears to be holding up.

Good news, I suppose.

mauler

I ordered (and paid for) Ted

I ordered (and paid for) Ted Ciamillo's Gravitas 3.0 cranks last September. They only just arrived today.

I'll be installing them onto Whisper.

Anyone who has dealt with Ted *may* know that my experience was trying (four months and two weeks' worth).

Anyone thinking of dealing with him should Google him and read what others have to say before committing to any purchase.

Crank length: 150mm
BCD: 130mm
Q-Factor: 149mm
Weight (including spacers and locking nuts): 434 grammes.

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

mauler

I couldn't install the

I couldn't install the Gravitas cranks on the Silvio. The BSA30 cups were too large for the BB clamp, which was a shame. The crank went onto the VK2.

Of greater shame was Ciamillo's failure to comply with my BCD specification of 130mm, which I emailed him at least three times. He sent a 110mm spider. The spider, which appeared bolted-on means that it is possible he can send a replacement spider, assuming he replies my email, and that I don't have to wait another 4.5 months.

For what it's worth, here's a very lousy photo of the crank on my VK2. Please pardon the background clutter. I was very annoyed when I took this photo:

IMG_0189.jpg

trplay

Zen MBB Master
when you posted the first

when you posted the first photos yesterday I wondered how you were going to mount them. Sorry it didn't work out.