SILVIO 2 SEAT

mzweili

Guru
The weather is fine now, so I'm riding my Silvio 2.1 on a more regular base.
Maybe I'm not sufficiently relaxed yet, but I feel that the seat is lacking of lumbar support.
I think some Silvio 2 owners adapted different brand seats.
Has someone tried a Metabike carbon seat?
What seat would fit best?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi Marc - yes, I did, here is

Hi Marc - yes, I did, here is the thread- page 2 #67 .

I don't think one CF hardshell seat would fit any better than any other. One thing to keep in mind, is to only use the front cross bracket to secure the CF seat to the frame, and not as a support, it's just not designed to carry the full load of the seat/rider. This is explained at the end of the thread.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
This is an interesting

This is an interesting problem and one that might be addressed by an air cushion set up. I have prototyped the following system.

Another important attribute of the air cushion is to isolate the body from harshness. Harshness felt in the ride is the symptom of energy being dissipated in the body, and this energy is derived from your forward motion. That is the concept. We have not done any road measurements on whether the air cushion would improve road performance.

20140509_110110_notesjpg(1).jpg

BentAero

Marc,
Ratz nailed it: Don't

Marc,

Ratz nailed it: Don't start changing seats until you exhausted stick-on lumbar padding options. There are a multitude of dirt-cheap foam densities available from fabric/crafter type stores. In this photo, you can see the foam lumbar pad I made for the seat on my Bacchetta, and the shoulder area pads just peaking out from under the tail bag netting. They're just stuck on with velcro. It took me a couple attempts to fine tune it, but I've got maybe $5 into a nice comfortable fix. A thrift-store electric carving knife cuts foam like butter.
20140508_234805_zps2672db46.jpg

Ivan

Guru
+1 to Eric's simple low cost

+1 to Eric's simple low cost method. You can stick foam either on the seat back into the cushion itself. It's an effective method to try different shapes. In the end I liked the original!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Heck, I just taped a flat

Heck, I just taped a flat piece of the closed cell shipping foam that was packed around my Vendetta when I received it onto the seat top under the cushion. Adjusted it a bit during trials until I found the sweet spot. It is perfect now. There were a couple of different thicknesses in the packing material or you can layer a few of the thinner sheets to fine tune...

At first I didn't need it but when I started exceeding 70 miles my back started hurting. Stuck a spare pair of socks in the same spot on the first ride where this happened and kept going and the relief was almost immediate. When I got back home I swapped the socks for the little piece of foam. Didn't even need to buy anything. Used a bit more of it to tweak my headrest.
wink_smile.gif

-Eric

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Marc, some good ideas

Marc, some good ideas above.

If it is only lumbar that is your problem, then perhaps the simple solution maybe Velcroing a piece of padding to the existing seat under your lumbar.

However....

This was not the solution for me. It seems that for most folks the existing seat seat works great (that was Johns intention), but not in my case and a few others as I have read here on the board.

The problem for me was headrest and upper shoulder area, and I did not like the seat pan being flat. I was just plain not comfortable on the stock seat - I tried padding here and there and found no solution that was as comfortable as a CF hardshell seat in which I have grown fond of and have found to be one of the most comfortable recumbent seats made for me (I've tried many), it contours the body almost perfectly! It's no wonder that these seats are found on much of the mid to hi-end low-high racers.

I purchased my CF hardshell seat from Poland on ebay.com for $178 + $30 shipping. It was fairly easy to secure to the Silvio frame. And now I can use just about any Radical Design (or clone) bag. Seats are just such a personal thing.

Anyway, I felt like I needed to post a defense in my reasoning of why I change out my seat. I'm happy that I changed the seat and I love my Silvio even more now. Cruze Bike did one hell-of-a job developing such a an out-of-the-box recumbent.

mzweili

Guru
Thanks everybody for all these interesting comments.
I'll try to find more comfort with some cushioning.
Very interesting also John's air-cushion tests.
Maybe at some point this might result in an adaptable seat padding with pockets that can be filled with different density foam.

kenhardwick

Wondergel

I purchased and cut a piece of Wonderget to fit inside my original Silvio 1.5 Seat cushion cover. Have used for about 2 years/6000 miles...really like it...a little extra weight but worth it.
http://wondergel.com/index.html

timt

minicell foam

I temporarily added a few pads to my seat cushions to take the weight off a bruised tailbone.
I used 1/2" minicell foam. Minicell is a closed cell foam that is very similar to the pad in the stock seat. It's available from many online suppliers and is often used as padding in kayaks and canoes.

Double sided tape worked well to hold my little additions in place between the base pad and filter foam in the silvio cushion.

I'm thinking about cutting air channels into a piece of 1" foam. Maybe try it in place of the stock pad under the filter foam to improve ventilation and back sweat evaporation.

jslipscomb

A wheelchair therapeutic foam cushion works OK for me on the Silvio. Professionals have designed these foam cushions for hours of use with minimal pain. The seat cushion that comes with the Silvio is way too hard, painful at 50 miles, torture at 100.

I went to a local Medical Supply Store, a super-pharmacy for serious medical problems. I found one across the street from a hospital. The Internet, including Amazon, also has a selection of wheelchair foam seat cushions.

I bought a 2-inch thick wheelchair therapeutic foam cushion for about $40 US, which I cut to size to stuff into the Silvio seat bag. 3-inch think wheelchair therapeutic foam cushions are for sale too, but I am satisfied with 2-inch thick.

Result: Longest ride 170 miles with only small pressure-point discomfort. No problem.

Tips
  1. Easiest to cut the foam with a serrated knife, like a bread knife.
  2. If the cushion is contoured, select the thin part of the cushion intended for where your bottom should go. Do not get creative and select the thick bulge of the cushion for your bottom, or this will just create a painful pressure point. I found out so you don't have to.
  3. Outline the original Cruzbike seat pad, and then cut about a half-inch in from that, because new foam cushion is thicker than original and has to be narrower to fit in the bag:
Photo below shows (2) and (3) above (cut center of cushion and smaller than original pad):
full

Photo below shows (3) above (thin center and thick edge):
full

Last edited: