Silvio build

nbelt48

Would it be possible to build up a Silvio with mountain gearing? I have a set of 700c road wheels, but would like to get lower gearing for these West Virginia hills. I would use a road triple with smaller rings and a 11-34 9sp cassette.
Neill

defjack

Zen MBB Master
No problem my Silvio has a 11-32 with med cage Ultegra. You can just go to a long cage for the 11-34.The Silvio can be set up any way you want.Im even using touring bars and gripshift and it works just fine. Jack

bokes

My Silvio has a Sugino 48-36-24 crankset (works with Ultegra brifters), with a 11-30 cassette. That's a 21" low, and I've never wished for a lower gear than that.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
nbelt48 wrote: Would it be possible to build up a Silvio with mountain gearing? I have a set of 700c road wheels, but would like to get lower gearing for these West Virginia hills. I would use a road triple with smaller rings and a 11-34 9sp cassette.
Neill
Isnt cassettes usually interchange able? Well, not Capreo, but SRAM has a 11-36 cassette, that should be sufficient to combine with a 53/39 compact double?

nbelt48

Defjack,
Finally found a Silvio frame kit, where did you get your touring handlebars? They are just what I am looking for.

Neill

defjack

Zen MBB Master
The bars are Wald touring 8095 from Amazon. I shimmed the clamping area with JB weld and aluminum shims as the Silvio clamp is pretty wide. Jack

nbelt48

Finally got my Silvio frame kit and in the process of assembly. What is meant by the front chain stays being held in a curved position which could possibly cause damage? Jack, also got my handlebars.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Good to hear your build has started.Be sure to post some pictures.I have over 7000 miles on mine with no problems.To check chain stay loosen everything connected to the chain stay then look at it it should be straight then tighten everything up. Jack

nbelt48

Making progress, waiting for my brakes to arrive. Got the wald touring bars on with attack grip shifters, even got a good deal on some brifters if I decide to go that way. 105 crank with 48-38-24 rings and a 11-34 XT cassette. Is there a difference in the braze on mounting between a road and a mountain shimano front derailluer?
Neill

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Heres a shot of my set up 105 road triple derailer haven't used a mt derailer on the Silvio. Someone might know.I had to use the lowest holes on the derailer bracket. Jack

nbelt48

Silvio is now built up. Put some low gearing on it, 24-38-48 chain rings, 11-34 XT cassette. I have only put 150 miles on it so far. The only challenging thing is doing hills, but getting better at it. This type of bike rides better than I expected.

Neill