Silvio Di2 - Utlegra 6870 11 Speed

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
So last night the basement morphed into a bike shop.

Started with a Silvio 2.0 outfitted with a 10 speed SRAM configuration which I dissembled and cleaned.
Yike the BB on these MBB get dirty fast. Guess that will be an annual clean and grease project.

Di2Silvio1.jpg

The Plan for this upgrade was to follow the same format I used on the Vendetta. Including the same wiring harness and internal battery setup.

So step 1 was to modify the boom to have the double slot configuration like the Vendetta 2.0. This pretty much working with a titanium drill and some files and then some black marker to cover the silver. The slot by the handle bars allows the wires to bypass the bottle area; and remain protected. This Silvio has a tight cockpit so it' worth the effort. The second slot is the exit for the wires and the place the junction box A will be mounted. I would like it further down the boom; but that would mean shortening the slider more; for resale protection I didn't want to do that.

Di2Silvio2.jpg

Step 2; create the exit hole by the bottom bracket for the front and rear derailleur wires.

Di2Silvio3.jpg

Step 3: Feed the wires with my wire fishing tool (See vendetta di2 thread). Install grommet.

Di2Silvio4.jpg

Step 4: Install battery and wiring harness (Same wiring harness as on the Vendetta but used a 1000mm rear wire because that's what the kit had)

Di2DrillnBuild8.jpg
Di2Silvio5.jpg

Step 5: Mount junction A and feed brake cables.

Di2Silvio6.jpg

Step 6: Install 55mm extension. This is Mr Ratz's bike and we are making her more aero so she can run with the vendetta better.

Di2Silvio7.jpg

Step 7: Install the cables. and do preliminary taping

Di2Silvio8.jpg

Di2Silvio10.jpg

Step 8: Mount and wire up derailleurs

Di2Silvio11.jpg

Di2Silvio12.jpg

Step 9: Mount the water bottle and wrap the bars

Di2Silvio13.jpg

Di2Silvio14.jpg

Step 10: Happy wife happy life

Di2Silvio15.jpg

Di2Silvio16.jpg

Notes:

1) The 55mm extension is awesome that really would be nice as a stock optional accessory; really elevates the bike for Mrs. Ratz

2) Di2 derailleur tuning takes like 1 minute; it's amazing.

3) The Di2 rear derailleur spring is so strong you can't change the drive wheel without either cracking the chain or using zip ties to hold the hanger in place. My epoxy attached hanger has never failed me. The di2 derailleur snapped the epoxy bonds in 10 seconds. (I wonder if an upgrade kit for 2.0 could by made by order extra quantities for the S30 snap fit connectors)

4) Di2 Shifts the Q-rings like butter; never misses a shift, since there is no over shift pin due to the recumbent ring alignment that is a huge win. One of the major motivators for this project.

5) Di2 Brifters make even better bull horns because they are really skinny

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
OK Bob - You now qualify as

OK Bob - You now qualify as the reigning Cruzbike/Di2 expert!
I think I'm going to have to plan a rode trip up to you so you can help me with mine on my new V20 now!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Step 6: Install 55mm extension?

Step 6: Install 55mm extension.

Hey Bob, did I miss something? - I usually follow your build antics pretty thoroughly. But haven't heard or read about a 55mm extension. What up?

Ivan

Guru
That's a lot of custom work!

That's a lot of custom work! Sounds great - I want to see! :)

Jeremy S

Dude
The 55mm extension is awesome

The 55mm extension is awesome that really would be nice as a stock optional accessory; really elevates the bike for Mrs. Ratz
I've been enjoying my 50mm custom extension. An official version would be nice.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Once again, nice build diary

Once again, nice build diary Bob. It would be nice if this and the Vendetta di2 builds were sticky's.
A 50-55mm extension really is a nice upgrade if you in the 5'6" to 5-10" height range.

Yeah, I tried the 100mm extension, and probably would have kept it on the Silvio if not for my purchase of the Vendetta. But the 100mm for a guy 5'9" is cutting it close (to the belly and knees). I agree, a 50-50mm would be perfect for that range of rider that wants to get more aero and slip through the air ever-so-slighty-faster!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz
when reading the initial

Ratz
when reading the initial text I saw nothing about whose Silvio it was, and thought "Is this guy CRAZY enough to have two Di2 bikes and his wife none???" , then I saw it was for Mrs Ratz and was relieved!!!

Very well documented as normal!

How many Cruzbikes have you built now???

ratz

Bike Hack will travel.

Larry that will be the last build for a while with 15+ years of 3 kids going through college starting next fall, the parts bin shall be very empty. So if you get bored sure thing; but you can fly me to the south; it's cold up here. But expert nope; I'm just following what Steve, Buddy and Maurer did. Using Buddy's Vendetta Recipe.

Rick the 55mm was custom bracket, it arrived via the parts for food program from another forum member. It's frankly perfect. On the bike now Mrs Ratz has a great alignment foot-leg-hand-arm-shoulder; very very aero.

Ivan now you can see; picture up load still broken but I was able to get a batch upload to go; and then hacked in the URLs. blah that wasn't not fun.

Jeremy great to hear you still like yours looked like you get a lot miles on it before the snow blew.

All and all the take home points were:

Yes 11speed Shimano will fit on the Silvio 2.0 series if you can stomach filling the paint away. The SRAM will not unless you want to take 2-3mm of metal off. That's nice because the 10 speed ultrega Di2 is hard to find.

The Silvio boom works fine for the di2 internal battery.

Since the V20 and S30 share a boom now that is bigger but similar to the Silvio 2.0 it would be nice to see John design in "Vendetta 2.0 like" wiring entry and exit slots like the ones I cut into the boom. Although and this is a big one I would reverse which the boom so that top half slides inside the boom half that would allow for a more obvious slot positioning without

A 50-55mm extension really is a nice upgrade if you in the 5'6" to 5-10" height range.

ratz

Never fear

Never Fear David, the wife's Silvio is always much nicer than mine. That way I can get a way with the other crazy stuff. Really hadn't been planing to Di2 a second bike at all; then finished the first one and when oh wow. When Mrs. Ratz saw the Q-Ring shift dead perfect on the Vendetta over and over again, I pretty much knew I could get away with it. So had planned on spring or summer. Never do things like say "I'll do that in spring when I actually have the time" because then two days later you will stumble on a super deal on the parts . So just under 3 weeks later all the parts where here and the stealth holiday gift upgrade ensues. She summed it up pretty well. (a) Loves it (b) Great X-mas present (c) Never would have pulled the trigger on the expense if left up to her (d) Really happy I didn't leave it up to her. (e) One more price drop and this is all people will buy.

Now I just have inventory all the parts I have to sell now. Gotta get them out of the house before them morph into yet another bike.

How many built let's see:

Qty 2 - Quest's refurbed
?Qty 2 - Silvios
?Qty 1 - Vendetta

How many refreshes

Qty 1 - Vendetta Di2 uplift
Qty 1 - Silvio Di2 Uplift
Qty 1 - Silvio clean and redo.

Oh and unboxed and setup 4 factory new Quests but those don't really could.

The 4 year old told me today that we need a "Bike Cave" so we can go work on them in secret. Yep that one is going to be a bike nerd, but probably will ride a fixie because she keep dropping 6 syllable words on me.