Silvio frame collecting water

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hello all,
I checked the forum for any posts like this and did not see anything.
I totally forgot about this event from my 12 hour race last Saturday and suddenly it came to my mind.
As I was disassembling my Silvio 2.0 to pack into my car, I took the back wheel off and set the bike on the dropouts and water started pouring out of the frame. I raised the front wheel all the way up and I swear about a 1/2 gallon of water poured out. I did ride through about 1/2 hour of heavy rain?
The only other time I saw something like this was a Jim & Maria's when checking out their bikes one weekend. I can't remember if it was Maria's V or S, but something similar happened.
Has anyone else seen this or had this happen to them?
If so, any resolutions? Have you figured out how it gets in?
Is it only for the hyrdo-formed frame sets?
If, not I suggest tipping your bike and see if you are carrying any extra water. (Good for training I guess, the extra weight, just get rid of it on race day! :)
Thanks,
Larry O

trplay

Zen MBB Master
two water entry places

I believe there are two weak spots that are very vulnerable that if not addressed will allow rain water inside the Silvio. One is the plug where the stock head rest enters the frame. The other less obvious one is the four bolt junction where the handlebar and boom connect. Water will enter at this point also. Waterproofing the top boom entry is a prudent idea. The bike came with jagwire plugs to cover the cable entry holes and they seem to work fine. Those that have elevated their seats from the frame with modifications may find water might move from the tires to underside of the seat then into the frame via the large circular frame holes. These should be easy to plug and might cause problems if you dont.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
This happened to me.  It

This happened to me. It rained on me. Hardest rain I have ever seen. I looked as if I had fallen in it. I did the slide and glide and a bucketful poured out. I was lucky it missed my legs. I was surprised the rear light was still working.

I thought it got in through the holes under the seat.

Gromit

Guru
Weep hole on S30

Hi JT

So does the S30 have the weep hole or will it appear on a later iteration of the Silvio 2.0?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I rememeber this happening to me on Silvio 1.0

John,
There's no reason we couldn't make such an addition on our own right?
Especially if we are already outside warranty? (Silvio 1.0)

If so - what is a good "spec" for a weep hole.

Lief

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Car wash troubleshooting technique

Ahem, I suggested the car wash troubleshooting technique quite some time ago for this exact issue...
tongue_smile.gif

See http://cruzbike.com/day-night-down-under-did-john-finally-release-new-vendetta#comment-20120

-Eric

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
There's no weep hole on the

There's no weep hole on the present S30 edition, sorry.

I will position it as low as possible, provided it is flanked by some solid metal on the Silvio, or is on the section of the tube that resolves to the rear triangle on the Vendetta.

Ivan

Guru
Hmm...sounds like a good

Hmm...sounds like a good reason to store one's Silvio vertically like me!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Would it be an advantage to

Would it be an advantage to pour some oil or anti corrosion paint into the frame and rotate the frame around a lot, then pour out the excess paint/oil?
Would this reduce OR increase corrosion?

Where is the best location for a weep hole and what diameter?

mzweili

Guru
Corrosion

Super Slim,
Unless you get salty water into the frame, I don't think there will be a corrosion problem, because the frame is in aluminum.
PS: even in a salty environment it requires presence of an electrolyte like copper or so to cause corrosion.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I had a lot of corrosion on

I had a lot of corrosion on the Silvio V1.0 BB bracket threads when I removed the Ultegra BB 3 years later, to fit the BB from the Quest for its 155 mm crank.
I now regrease the BB threads every year.
I can not figure out where the water is getting in as the steerer tube on a V1.0 is sealed?

SS