Silvio Front Deraileur cable housing loop

Rick Newton

I assembled my Silvio, which was among the Silvios in the first shipment this year. I took it to my bike shop to have the deraileurs adjusted for the first time because I didn't want to deal with it. I got a call from the shop saying that the 250mm housing loop at the BB doesn't allow for the cable to move the deraileur with enough force because it is too flexible. They think it needs a firm connection near the bottom bracket. They were also concerned that the stalk wasn't strong enough for a triple, and that I should buy an extra in case it breaks in the future.
Any thoughts would be helpful. (I yet don't have photos of the complete assembly.)
Silvio Boom & BB.jpg width: 391px;
IMG_1750.JPG width: 281px; height: 183px;

mickjordan

Glad you are blazing a trail

Glad you are blazing a trail on this; my Silvio has just shipped and I have an Ultegra triple coming also. My experience with LBS and non-standard bikes hasn't been that positive. We have a Da Vinci tandem with independent coasting and my LBS couldn't handle the modified SRAM derailleur setup. Surely enough Silvio's have been setup by now for this problem to have identified already (if it really is a problem, which I hope not).

dalehough

I just put my Silvio together

I just put my Silvio together and I don't see problems with the bracket holding up mine has a 105 triple derailer on it though.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
slider upside down

Oh, your slider is upside down. Rotate it around and the cable stopper will end up on the left where it should be, and the bars will sit in the cradle for easier assembly.

Make sure you get the bike adjusted as well as you can to your size before doing the cabling. Nothing worse than wanting just another inch of knee clearance and finding the cables have been done so beautifully there is no spare slack to lift the bars up higher.

dalehough

That's funny I put mine on

That's funny I put mine on upside down to. It is ok though Maria is sending me new one with the slot in it.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
how are the instructions

Thanks,
how are you finding the instructions, apart from the vagueness of which way up the slider goes.

Rick Newton

Thanks everybody. John -

Thanks everybody. John - thanks! I need a new one then because I had the slot cut on the wrong side, so now it would be on top where it is visible. Shall I call Maria to have it sent (plus a couple of cages.)

laidback4HU

Bless all the patient mentoring from John on the Silvio buildout

Thank you, Rick and John,
Eager to begin building my yet to arrive Silvio. So grateful to everyone with this attention to detail and the great support in 1) determining what subtle difference can be made when a part is rotated 180 degrees and 2) having the expertise to figure this out from two dimensional photos. Makes me wonder about having some bike shop do this build for me with them no more familiar that me at how a Silvio is supposed to look, feel and function.
Still, this forum is being a totally wonderful tutorial.
Grateful to The Cruzbike crew and again, especially to the longdistance support of never-sleeps, John Tolhurst.
Kudos.
Timothyray

mickjordan

Front DR Cable routing again

I've been doing a lot of adjustments to my FD and in the process have begun to wonder about the decision to route the cable on the left hand side. I assume it is related to possible bad interactions on the chain side, e.g. if the chain dropped off the small chain wheel. However, as it stands the cable has to angle across to the derailleur, touching the FD stem, and doesn't quite present itself at the right angle for the clamp. On the Ultegra there is a stub that keeps the cable in the clamp and at the angle that it approaches, it tends to pop out when tension is applied.

It looks as if it would be nice straight run to the clamp if the cable looped on the right side, but appearances can be deceptive.