Silvio geometry and neck pain, anyone?

Bikealounger

I am very interested in a Cruzbike, particularly the Silvio. I have bulging discs and neck pain and worry about the seat angle. Is it comfortable or does your head bend too far forward. I currently ride a Burley and have it sitting pretty much upright. Do any of you Cruzbike owners have any insight?

Rick Newton

Silvio geometry and neck pain

In response to your post, I bought a Silvio because I too have bulging discs in my neck. I chose the Silvio over the Vendetta because I thought the Vendetta was too laid-back, and might be too rough as far as transmitting the road bumps to my body. I have just finished building my Silvio and have not ridden it on long rides, but I feel the position is perfect for my neck & back problems. The Silvio has gotten me back into cycling. I lover it.

Rick Newton

Silvio geometry and neck pain

I mean, "I love it." See my posts under Silvio Brag, and the regular Silvio forum of 2/12/2012 (today.)

TimOz

Hi Diana,
While I Don't have

Hi Diana,
While I Don't have neck problems, I can say that I find the neck angle while riding my Silvio best described as "neutral". In fact there is only a slight down tilt when sitting normally. I find it natural and both comfortable and easy to see forward. I would suggest that you try to get a demo ride on a Silvio to see how it feels for you. Make sure you have maybe a 30 minute ride as it does take some time to learn how to ride (an unride a DF bike). You will need to be comfortable riding to see how you neck feels.

Note that the Silvio seat angle does not adjust but the Sofrider and Quest do. I rode both before choosing the Silvio, but I did not mess around with seat adjustments so I can't comment authoritavely. I mention this in that if the Silvio does not suit, maybe the Quest will suit.

I would also add that while the Silvio suspension is not long travel, it works very well and I feel this would be better for your neck than getting jarring from unsuspended bikes. Also factor into your thinking that the upper body workout you get from a Cruzbike should strengthen your neck and shoulders and help protect any damage you have.

Having said that, Jim Parker is probably the best person to give comment.

Good luck,

Tim