Silvio / Lower Back Pain

Glory707

I'm new to riding a Silvio I purchased late last year.On my last ride, I did some steep climbing and after the ride had a very stiff lower back for 2-3 days.I noticed Jim Parker had placed some extra padding on the lower part of the seat for more lumbar support.Any consensus on that being the best solution?BTW, I'm very flexible and stretch daily.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
lumbar support can sometimes solve it

What was your riding technique on the steep section, leaning forward?

Probably need to increase a bit more slowly. You can lumbar support and that can sometimes solve it.

Glory707

John,

I pressed my lower back into the seat as I pushed on the pedals and "counter-pulled" on the handle bars.I'm open to suggestions.

Thank You,
Robert

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
more riding on the flat

Perhaps you need to do more riding on the flat, build up the technique and the muscules that support it, and then go back to that hill.

Also, I would explore adding more lumbar support. Take a $10 sleeping mat from a camping store and cut it up. When you make a change, try to track how it feels on a longish ride. The intial feel is interesting but you need the longer ride to properly judge it. Resist making large changes, because physiology is adaptive and you have to lead it gradually.

Glory707

Lower back pain resolved

John,

Thanks for your suggestions.I added some extra padding for lumbar support and am having no more issues with back pain.Now the issue has been tailbone pain.Earlier today I posted about this issue and it looks like I'll be putting some time into making the passive rear suspension a bit more active.