Silvio ready to roll

SamP

Guru
One further option is Sugino makes their XD2 cranks in 152mm length. These are square taper with 110/74mm 5-bolt BCD. I'm not sure where you can buy just the cranks, but you can get a crankset with 8 speed Al-alloy 24/36/50 chainrings for about $120. Easiest place to find them is on Amazon, which turns out to be for Niagara Cycle Works. These are annoying in that one of the chain ring bolts is under a crank arm.

(My understanding: XD2 is the crank, cranksets named XD300 are XD2 cranks with steel chainrings, XD600 are XD2 cranks with alloy chainrings, XD400 and XD500 are combinations of steel and alloy chainrings)

One last: Origin8 makes 155mm cranks with 130/74mm 5-bolt BCD pattern.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
That's a nice crankset; I have that one on my Sofrider. The only drawback is that it requires a square taper bottom bracket.
And just to be clear since several were mentioned. A Square taper bottom bracket will not work on the S30 or V20; and external cup BB is required.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
another option, and not the cheapest, but quick and handy, are Cobb Cycling cranksets. Standard and compact sets, with 145mm, 150, 155, and 165mm options. They come with a BB, fairly average quality. Their round chainrings can also be removed if you want a different tooth count, or if you want to use Q rings. Pricey, but high quality.
Kline, I've looked into those but never made a commitment, they seem to go for $299 a set that includes the BB. The quality looks to be pretty good too. I've always wanted to know more and how they compare to SRAMs Apex.

ratz

Kline, I've looked into those but never made a commitment, they seem to go for $299 a set that includes the BB. The quality looks to be pretty good too. I've always wanted to know more and how they compare to SRAMs Apex.
Every-time I checked on them they were out of stock; otherwise interesting.

Tigerpaw

The Cobb cranks are good quality, equal to Apex cranks. I didn't use the BB that came with, instead use the Wheels Manu. GXP ceramic BB.

Thanks for all the information. I need to digest it all and pick something that will work on the S30. I believe shorter cranks are my next step either 150 or 155. I don't think I can handle the swap so I'll check with my bike shop also. I'm leaning toward 150s.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for all the information. I need to digest it all and pick something that will work on the S30. I believe shorter cranks are my next step either 150 or 155. I don't think I can handle the swap so I'll check with my bike shop also. I'm leaning toward 150s.
I have a 42.5" x-seam and love the 150 mm crank arms.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master

Rick, I've never used Apex cranksets but the Cobb's are as good as anything I've ever had and better than most. But the BB included spins about like the second place winner in ratz' spin down video, if even that well. I'm juggling the bike budget to make the jump to that first place winner.

Every-time I checked on them they were out of stock; otherwise interesting.

Hmmm I see what you mean. Looking at their website a lot of the options are out of stock. Standard currently available in all but the 155. Compact currently available only in the 145. :(

I'm leaning toward 150s.

Take a look at the calculator just above that SamP posted. That's what I used to arrive at 145. At your 39" x-seam it may well recommend shorter than 150.
You're right it is a lot to digest!

I've checked my measurements and used the crank calculator. Is the Silvio considered a high or medium BB bike? I'm guessing medium. The calculator says I should be using 150's for high and 155 for medium. There are a couple of choices in each category. Also, based on info from Ratz which gave guidance on calf vs femur length..my calf is longer than my femur....which leads me towards 150s.

Can anyone recommend good reference/teach yourself material if you want to figure out how to change out the cranks yourself? Do you need special tools? Degree of difficulty?

ratz

Can anyone recommend good reference/teach yourself material if you want to figure out how to change out the cranks yourself? Do you need special tools? Degree of difficulty?

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/how-to-remove-and-install-a-crank#article-section-1
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...nd-installation-two-piece-compression-slotted

The S30 uses a Two Piece Compression Slotted Crank

SRAM is silently different from the video but it would be mostly obvious.

Torque wrench really is required.

What is the hollow tube for in the picture? Is there any reason you should not cover the hole? I had the bike on my rack last week and got caught in the rain. The tube filled up with water.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    546.4 KB · Views: 30

ratz

What is the hollow tube for in the picture? Is there any reason you should not cover the hole? I had the bike on my rack last week and got caught in the rain. The tube filled up with water.
Derailluer stalk; Hollow just to be light. Plug away, it won't harm anything to do so.

telephd

Guru
Ill cast another vote for the Redline Microline. It is available from 135mm through 165mm. I used the calculator above and arrived at 140-145. Purchased the crank arms and bottombracket for around $100. Have it set up for a single chainring but a little filing as others have done will accommodate a double. It is a tad cheaper than Mark's Apex and a bit higher quality. I happened to have a set of SRAM Red rings that I used and am happy with the outcome.