Silvio ready to roll

I stopped by my bike shop to discuss the shorter cranks. He is wanting to use the Sugino cranks 152mm and to change out the bb to a square taper. There were other details about a different tooth size for hills and I think modifying the Sugino triple to a double. He said he doesn't modify the frame at all and has done this before but not on a bent. He's said the shifting would be smooth and I can always go back. Estimate about 100$.

The first time I spoke with him I incorrectly said the Silvio had a square taper bb. He quickly realized, when he saw my bike, that it does not. He did adjust my front derailleur correctly and was familiar with a yaw. He was impressed with the bike. He also said he has worked at RAM and got another ride back in the race doing something similar.

Does this sound ok? It is like a different language.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Silvio and Vendetta's will not work with a Square Taper BB. He should have been able to tell that just by looking at it. Probably just didn't look closely. You be far better off just getting the APEX cranks from BikeSmith; they will work fine with your existing BB, that will save you time a risk. Your mechanic will still be able to install them and you'll save him a very frustrating experience returning the Sugino cranks. Cobb cranks are another option but 152 is out of stock.

FWIW the Square taper would work on the Quest Series and Sofrider Series in fact that's what they ship with. A fair number of people upgrade to GXP / External cup BB's because (1) the stance is wider; and thus stiffer; (2) the shaft as a bigger diameter and is stiffer. Both result in much better power transfer from pedal to chain ring. So IMNSHO going to Square taper, even if it worked, would be a big step backwards. The mechanic should also know that; but it might just be nervousness around a BENT. On the list of upgrades for the 4 quests in my garage is to get rid of the Square Tapers.

http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/apex.html