Silvio S30 build and first rides

BrianA

I recently completed a build of the new Silvio S30 (my first bike build) and would like to share my experiences of the build and first rides. Even though I had never built a bike before the build was fairly straightforward.
I built the bike using a Shimano Ultegra 6800 groupset with a compact 50/34 crank and 11 speed 11-32 cassette. The only problem I encountered was that the external diameter of the bearing cups on the new Shimano BBs are smaller than those of older models. This meant that the clamp on the chain stay that clamps onto the bearing cups was too big for the BB. This was easily fixed by a trip to my LBS who had an older model Shimano BB in stock.

For my first ride I took the bike to Canberra's bike park. This is an excellent facility with BMX tracks, mountain bike trails and a 1.1km "road circuit". Even though I own a Quest 559 (V1) I was a bit apprehensive riding the Silvio given the more reclined position and higher BB than the setup I have on the Q. I need not have worried as I was able to adapt to the Silvio very quickly and even though I wasn't trying to break any records found myself riding around the circuit at a very reasonable pace (for a 66 year old anyway).

First impressions - The Silvio is easier to handle than the Q - probably due to the fact that the front end is not so heavy. The Silvio certainly climbs better than the Q - apart from the weight difference I also believe that the higher BB actually helps in putting power to the pedals. The only thing about the Silvio that I found a bit disappointing is the seat. Whilst the carbon fiber seat is certainly light, it lacks shape to support the back. I have modified the Q by fitting a one piece seat from a performer recumbent. This seat has a S shaped back that provides support to the lumber region and shoulders and (IMHO) is much more comfortable than the straight backed seat of the Silvio. I was considering putting the performer seat on the Silvio but unfortunately I don't think this will be possible. To make the Silvio seat more comfortable (for me at least) I put a wedge of foam under my shoulders and place thicker foam on the headrest. This gives me much better forward visibility at the very slight expense of aerodynamics. I note that other people have had to modify the seat of Silvios - this is an area that could do with a bit of re-design.

Overall though the Silvio is a lovely bike and to those on the forum that are struggling a bit to ride one I say keep at it, you will be very happy that you did.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Great write up Brian. But we

Great write up Brian. But we do need to see pictures, because as Charles says..." without pictures it did not happen "!

BTW, adding a hardshell seat like the performers to the Silvio or Vendetta is pretty straight forward. You can look around here for threads on details outlining the setup (maybe you have already) or visit my website (see my signature below).
Overall though the Silvio is a lovely bike and to those on the forum that are struggling a bit to ride one I say keep at it, you will be very happy that you did.

...good advice!