Silvio S30 - chainstay extension?

My Silvio is in Robert's hands, but after reading a lot, I need help deciding if I want him to install a chainstay extension or not. 5'11", 42.5" X-seam. I really didn't like the Superman position on the Bacchetta. I'd rather have my elbows by my ribs most of the time. More like Ivan in this post:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/silvio-2-0-picture-thread.6205/#post-22143

And definitely not like Telephd in this post:
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/woooohooo-new-s30-delivered-today.8290/page-2#post-108903

So what say you?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
You may be right in the area of height that may benefit from the 100mm extension, but only you will know and perhaps Robert can give you more advice on that. You could always try without and then order it later.

Last edited:
I've ordered the prebuilt version. I'll tinker later, but I wanted to start with something that I know works :)
Robert said it was an option, but I was hoping someone with a similar experience/measurements might be able to help me decide.

hurri47

Speaking as someone who put flat bars on a conversion to get the bar height down, I think Ivan's hands are crazy low, although he looks cool as hell on it. (I moved my bike's bars back up.)

In general, Silvio bars are on the high side. My S1.0 greatly benefited from the 100 mm extension just to get my hands a couple inches lower, despite the fact I don't meet the normal use case - long legs - for extensions. If you have a strong personal preference for elbows in tight, the extension seems like a natural for you.

-Dan

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I have a straight reach on Vendetta 2.0 using Gary bars curved backwards for aero benefits. But the inside of my elbows hurts after about 70 miles.

Could be the reach.
Could be the curved part of the bar.
I don't think you can go wrong with slightly bent elbows for distance ride. Plus, that gives you an "extended" option on the hoods of the brifters for variability.
If your reach is already maxed, your variation options are limited.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Kline,
Perhaps an unfortunate choice of words.
I mean that I like to run them flat, without the brifters sticking up in the wind.
Like this:
upload_2015-4-25_9-47-59.png

I started that with my Silvio - but I found drop bars that were pretty "straight" in the drop.
Like this.
upload_2015-4-25_9-47-27.png

I SERIOUSLY need to spend just a little bit of time adjusting the Vendetta bars - can't have that pain in my inner-elbows persisting on > 75miles.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I see what you mean. Hope you get rid of the elbow pain. That looks like a pretty ergonomic setup, so maybe just a little tweaking?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Yeah - I had it "up" during my last ride thinking that would make it more comfy - put it back down for this picture and the ride yesterday with TimTurner.
We were seriously smoking around Snohomish yesterday.
No inner-elbow pain, but it wasn't "endurance" riding either; hammer, regroup, repeat

When I rotate these down this far I do occasionally bump the top of the hood on the brifter because now it's sticking into my leg-line.