Silvio seatback mod (for taller riders)

thadolius

I am 6'2" tall & have a Silvio with just over 500 mi on it. The seat back on the Silvio is the same stamping used on the other Cruzbikes & in the kit. The seat back angle is fixed at 45 degrees due to the structure. Unfortunately, the narrow seat top neck hits me right in between the shoulder blades. On one fairly long ride (~35mi) with a stiff headwind, I developed an annoying stiff neck & shoulder blade pain which I attributed to nerve pinching in the shoulder blade area. I had been pushing quite hard and simultaneously trying to recline my neck to get a more "aero" position.

My experimental solution was to extend the seat back a bit higher to keep my shoulder blades supported. I usied a couple of thin sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" aluminum (letter-sized paper) I had laying around. The combined thickness of the 2 sheets was about (.065"). Since there are two independent sheets, they both bend with a reasonable pressure. I thought about using a single thicker piece in the .090 - .125" range, but it seemed too stiff.

These are mounted in front of the seat back (but in back of the padding) using the top set of mounting holes already drilled in the seat back (used to mount the seat rail interface in the kits, but unused on the Silvio). This provides about a 6" extension beyond the seat back. I put a chunk of thin carpet pad as a cushion for my shoulders and covered the assemblage with a spandex leg of one of my old cycling shorts -- not pretty, but functional for a prototype.

So far (about 40 miles on the mod, split into 20 and 25 mile therapy rides [for an ACL replacement 2 weeks ago]), the prototype design seems to do the trick. No shoulder or neck pain at all. However, I seem more "upright" in my riding position, since I can't push my shoulders so far back any more. Further, having the shoulder support plates be somewhat flexible seems to reduce the effects of our Idaho chipseal road surfaces transmitted into my head. Or course, on those rare freshly paved roads without chipseal, the ride is absolutely dreamlike.

In the photos below, you can see the blue annodized plates bolted to the seatback. [For those of you wondering what the white paper is in the seatback cutout, I store my spare inner tube, plastic tire levers & stick-on patches there.] I ended up using a couple of nut plates to fasten the extensions -- these required drilling another set of holes directly above the originals.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Thanks for this good description.
I am 5'11" and I immediately noticed a similar problem because that seat back tip strikes a particular vertebrae perfectly.

I tried
* extra padding at the seat top (hurt worse)
* moving the seat pad up a bit - this helped but only delayed and dulled the pressure
* removed the rubber strip - this helped a bit but again only delayed the pressure / pain
and then I figured it out
* extra padding, only about 1/2 inch thick (less would probably be fine), across the back of the seat bad (inside the cover) that comes up to within about 3 inches of the tip of the seat back.

No more pain...of course I am only on about 60 miles total on my Silvio but considering I felt that seatback point sticking into my back the first time I sat on it...I feel 90% confidence in my solution as a long term fix.

randyspann

Re: Silvio seatback mod (for taller riders)

I'm having the same problem. 6' 6" tall. The top of the seat hits me right below my shoulder blades, hurts! And because of my tall upper body, it seems like I'm laid back more than is comfortable. Anyone else making tall seat mods?