Silvio - Success Story

randyspann

I've been riding conventional roadbikes for a few years. Three years ago I developed a shoulder rotator cuff problem that made riding very painfull. I ran across the silvio on the cruzbike site, I thought maybe a recumbent would solve my problem. But the price tag and some very un-encouraging comments from other recumbent riders made me hessitant to take the plunge. Then last year the pain grew to the point that I didn't ride at all. I didn't want to give up my love for bicycling, I was heart broken. Finally I purchased a used silvio from a fellow cruzbiker on this site.
First couple of rides were just parking lot sessions. I live in New Hampshire, ie. no flats, all mountains! So next I found a one mile secluded stretch and rode up and down for about 10 miles. Pretty ugly, but no falls and kept it between the ditches. My first "real" ride, I went to one of my favorite 7 mile training loops. I hadn't mounted my computer and it seemed very slow, and I couldn't climb...anything! I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake, (was I that far out of shape, or was the silvio just a pipe dream?). So I mounted the silvio in my trainer and worked out for a few days getting my legs back. Then this Saturday I rode 22 miles at 13mph average, probably better than my conventional bike for early get-in-shape runs. The silvio is deceptively fast. I am elated! No shoulder pain, and I am able to hold a straight line. Even passed a couple of other riders. And yes I got the 'looks', not many 'bents around here. No, my legs are not ready for the long climbs, but I didn't do too bad considering it's my first real test. So for only 38 miles on my computer, I think soon I will conquer the hills, and pickup speed.
So if there are other riders out there "on the fence", give cruzbike another look, I think you won't be sorry. The comfort, the total body workout (I can even feel it in my butt muscles!), the cruzbike quality, make so much sense.

COBRA GT

Cruzbike

Hey.Glad u r enjoying yr Silvio.Just put more miles and u will get better at it. Go on forum 2 gt all the tips on climbing ,sprinting , etc..Gt my Silvio this year.So far 1500 miles and more impress by the acceleration and climbing of this hi-tech road recumbt..GT.

randyspann

Wait -- Not so quick!

Well my next ride, on Monday was a disaster! Seemed like all I had learned was lost! I think excitement (forgetting to relax) really hurt my progress. Did about 15 miles in hilly country, hard time climbing and too exhausted from iron grip on the bars to remember to take it easy and have fun. I guess that how we learn...if at first you don't succeed... Part of the problem is here in the Northeast we are running out of daylight so soon after work, so I hurried to get the ride in.

Firecracker

New Silvio Rider

Your write-up was very encouraging since you were being so honest and transparent. I don't get the impression you are in the business of selling Cruzbikes so that makes what you shared that much more helpful as I consider buying one. Thanks so much for your story and encouragement. I hope you keep persevering.

randyspann

Update - 20 miles 13.6 avg learning to climb

Update on progress - made some adjustments: set the bars for a longer reach. I was reading Jim Parker's comments on how he and Maria setup their vendettas so that they get 'on the hoods' to charge a hill and pull the body forward to power and keep up the cadence on a climb. Wow, really works! That and spinning, not mashing and hills are much easier. Also added a 'Mirracle mirror' the one that mounts on the STI brifter, just adds to the fun of riding the Silvio (no worries). We are in the peak time for color in the fall foliage, was a beautiful ride.

randyspann

Winter is here!

-- Getting more and more aclimated to the silvio. Went for a cold weather ride, I decided I would just relax and enjoy. I found that with the relaxing, I had much more energy for the climbs, made all the climbs on one of my training routes without exhaustion and actually made better time! Hills I usually dread were tamed! My average for the 26 mile ride was over 2 mph faster than my best DF average for the route. And I noticed how much I had been missing when on the DF, without pain and discomfort I could really enjoy the ride. Came home with energy to spare. Just so happened two cars passed me that are friends of mine. They knew I had gotten the recumbent, but had never seen it, they (later) had remarks of how cool the silvio is.

randyspann

Dreaming of Warmer Weather

- Dreaming of warmer weather! The silvio's on the trainer, and no matter how hard I pedal, I get nowhere.

Surely some of you in the warmer climates could update us with a Ride Report!

randyspann

Summer Pictures

Randy-Karen-Prouty2012.jpg

Randy-Prouty2-2012.jpg width: 761px;

Couple of pictures from a benefit ride we did.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Great pics!

Seeing pics of folks riding their Cruzbike inspires me to join the gang and get one for myself.