Silvio v.2 - Body Filler?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
The v.1 Silvio made use of body filler to hide welds and provide seamless transitions between frame members. Does the v.2 have the same treatment? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen, which may be a testament to Cruzbike's weld quality.

Thank you.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have those ripple'y weld'y

I have those ripple'y weld'y looking things too.
Here is a pic, but not sure how it shows up iwth only 1MB file size

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Thanks for the pic, Larry

I think the welds look good. I imagine going without the body filler has really done a lot to improve production time!

mzweili

Guru
BODY FILLER OVER WELDS

Aluminum is not the easiest material to weld, specially if the two part have different material thicknesses.
A regular ripply weld might be of very good quality.
Body filler is often used to hide an imperfect weldment.

BentAero

When the powder coater

When the powder coater stripped my vendetta 2.0, there were several places in the hydroformed area that had body filler to smooth imperfections in the aluminum, but none in the weld areas.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
OK, for the 2.0 well the

OK, for the 2.0 well the hydroformed tube was a difficult result to pull off and some imperfections were filled in the first production run. But otherwise it is regular alloy welding. The boom has smooth welding, which is done at a higher temperature. Its easy to pick as it doesn't have ripples. That smoothness is there right off the welding table. Its harder to do, but these guys are extremely good.

For the 1.x the frame has bondo. Not to hide imperfections as the welding quality is again extremely good as you can tell from say the sofrider or quest frames. But to enhance the shape, I wanted to make the frame as nice as I could.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
To Smooth or Not to Smooth?

I like the look of well-executed "stack of dimes" welds, but I can appreciate the use of filler in the original Silvio to provide a smooth, unified look to a rather complex frame.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my question.