Silvo + Trailer

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok so by the time summer gets here we'll have another rider in the stable. Which means family outings will require at least one of the Silvios to roll with the Quests.

So I'm starting to consider whether I dare pull a axle mounted trailer with the Silvio 2.0. I'm thinking that would perhaps be a bad idea because of the way the rear suspension and Elastomer work.

The hitch looks like this

Trailer with Kids and Luggage (yes they are different) is usually around 80-100 lbs.

Just starting to think about whether this will work.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Sounds like more fun, but

Sounds like more fun, but more to think about. I'm wondering how or if the Vendetta would or could work better than the Silvio as no suspension to cause a pushing-pulling effect?? I know you have the V setup as your racer and the S as your social bike. And you do have experience with the that kind of weight with the Q's suspension, and I'm betting the girls will have grown some since last summer.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob,
I think you should be OK

Bob,
I think you should be OK as the bottom Titanium+ Carbon Fiber stay is VERY stiff sideways, as I rode 40 km up and down hill and around the dales, (but limited speed to 50 kph instead of 70+ kph) after the top titanium leaf spring/stay broke, with the sound of a rifle, and there was a grinding noise when the rear brake was applied.

It was not until I lifted the bike to go over a 9" high kerb 100 m from home that I discovered the broken leaf spring, as the rear wheel stayed on the ground.

ALL cornering loads were taken by the bottom stay, and the vertical load by the Poly spring that sits on top of the titanium leaf spring clamp.

The Silvio is a BRILLIANT clean designed bicycle, with built in redundancy!

If you are worried, take a spare top Titanium leaf spring with you, OR accelerate and brake slowly!
No specky wheel spins for 20 m on taking off, when on hot-mix bitumen, to impress you DF rider mates at the start of a hill climb!