Sizing conundrum

Which frame size should I choose?

• Total voters

Tor Hovland

Hi!

I am about to order a Vendetta, but I am puzzled by the sizing guide. I am 187 cm (6' 2"), with an inseam of 88 cm (35"). My X-seam is 115 cm (45") if I sit on the floor and measure from the wall to my feet, and 112 cm (44") if I use the chair method.

According to the guidelines at http://cruzbike.com/how-choose-your-vendetta-setup, these measures seem to put me right into medium territory, only barely qualifying for large. However, I always fit the large size on any other bike. The whole idea of being told to get the medium kind of makes me feel my numbers must be wrong.

I also find people a little smaller than me here, who seem happy with the large size. So, which one do you think would fit me best?

image.jpg I'm 6'2"+ with a longer Xseam. I'm on a medium and it works great. The only difference is actually the chainstay length. The large chainstay essentially only raises your feet a bit over the medium. All of the rest of the geometry is basically unchanged. Threw me off to be a medium as well.

The one thing you might need is a stem extension. This will raise the handlebars and give you more clearance for your knees. Talk to Robert Holler. He'll get you squared away.

Reactions: joy

hamishbarker

if you want maximum aero, go large. but your feet will be higher (good for aero, maybe slightly less convenient in stop start city riding when your feey have to touch down more often). I am 183 cm and have a medium v1.5. Would be interested to try a large but the medium is very comfortable.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
With your X-seam a Large will put the handlebars right in your lap without a stem extension. You would want a medium. However, there are no longer any mediums in stock until the next batch of V20's are ready.

Jeremy S

Dude
Interesting. Do you need a different fork w/longer steerer tube? Does it work on a V2?
It effectively lengthens the steerer tube of an existing fork. Yes it should work on a Vendetta 2.0 (at least I can't imagine why not). I don't think "stem extension" is accurate, it's a steerer tube extender or maybe stem raiser (there isn't really a traditional stem here).

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Do you need a different fork w/longer steerer tube?
Nope will work just fine.

At one time I recall John T said he was considering a longer fork stem and having people cut it down to size but that seem to intimidate people (bike shops frequently cut the forks to size on custom builds). So instead they stayed short as that was more common and the extender is the large rider solution. Both was work equally well.

I must be in the minority but when I see Abbott on his bike in the pictures I can seem him on a large frame by next year to get the feet higher; because I keep thinking he's a tad low for his height.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
With your X-seam a Large will put the handlebars right in your lap without a stem extension. You would want a medium. However, there are no longer any mediums in stock until the next batch of V20's are ready.

Hmmm. Was planning to order a medium (tax refund finally in!) and prepared to use a stem riser if need be. The sizing chart for the V puts me near the low end of medium but with an ex-seam of 41.5 inches would a small be better? It seems that would put the bottom bracket pretty low. The thing I liked most about the Bacchetta was the high bottom bracket. Would hate to order a small and end up with a BB nearly as low as my Sofrider. Help!
And since mediums are out of stock, any idea when the next batch will be ready?

ratz

Hmmm. Was planning to order a medium (tax refund finally in!) and prepared to use a stem riser if need be. The sizing chart for the V puts me near the low end of medium but with an ex-seam of 41.5 inches would a small be better? It seems that would put the bottom bracket pretty low. The thing I liked most about the Bacchetta was the high bottom bracket. Would hate to order a small and end up with a BB nearly as low as my Sofrider. Help!
And since mediums are out of stock, any idea when the next batch will be ready?

Kline, wait for the medium; with that x-seam you will be happier; I'm 39-40 ish on the x-seam and the height of the bb is excellent for the position on the bike; a small would have worked for me just but would have been much more of a climber.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Kline, wait for the medium; with that x-seam you will be happier; I'm 39-40 ish on the x-seam and the height of the bb is excellent for the position on the bike; a small would have worked for me just but would have been much more of a climber.

Thanks ratz, I will wait. Hope Robert can give us an idea of when they will be shipping again.

When you say "....a small would have worked....but would have been much more of a climber" are you saying the small size climbs better or am I misreading that?

ratz

Thanks ratz, I will wait. Hope Robert can give us an idea of when they will be shipping again.

When you say "....a small would have worked....but would have been much more of a climber" are you saying the small size climbs better or am I misreading that?

for me .... lower bb equals more power less aero

jond

Zen MBB Master
It effectively lengthens the steerer tube of an existing fork. Yes it should work on a Vendetta 2.0 (at least I can't imagine why not). I don't think "stem extension" is accurate, it's a steerer tube extender or maybe stem raiser (there isn't really a traditional stem here).
yes i fitted a bbb extension and it works fine.

ratz

Hmmm interesting. So lower bb might trade some top end for climbing power. Very interesting....

It's going to be relative to the rider; In my case if the bb goes down really low the handle bar is going to go up and forward; that will allow me to sit up taller if I choose to and I get a position that is similar to a p-38 or a Quest 20". I know from our Quest 20" that I can generate a lot of power from that position 43degrees and a low BB. I based that on experience where I pull our kid trailer 100lbs up some stupid tall hills that I would have trouble going up on the V or the S in a reclined position.

On the other hand If I rode a large frame the handbar would be so low that sitting up would almost be impossible.

Therefore the medium is the most practical configuration.