Skyline Drive (Shenandoah NP, VA), on a road bike

SamP

Guru
A local cycle touring company has starting running free (promotional) supported rides on Skyline Drive. They supply support vehicles (hydration, energy bars, gels, chews, fruit, etc, mechanical support, a ride if you can't or don't want to continue), you can ride your own bike or they supply a good road bike from Ridley Bikes. They also gave us some free merchandise: a jersey, a musette bag with stuff: in my bag was a water bottle, 4 energy bars, a packet of energy chews, an energy gel packet, a packet of chamois cream, and 2 packets of warming cream--this was in addition to the support food on the ride.

The ride starts at the Front Royal entrance to the Shenandoah National Park, goes 51 miles to Big Meadow, lunch at the lodge restaurant (included for free), then back. The ride to Big Meadows is about 7000 ft of climbing, and about 4000 ft going back.

Despite having severe doubts that I could do this ride, I signed up for Oct 4, intending to ride USS Yiggy, my Conversion Kit bike. They contacted me for details on my bike and after sending them information and a picture decided they couldn't take my bike at this time, so I opted for one of their road bikes. They offered me a Ridley Fenix Carbon w/Ultegra 11-speed compact crankset, medium frame. After measuring myself and consulting Ridley's website, I determined that was way too large, I'd need an extra small. After several back and forths eventually we settled on a Ridley Liz in small, a women's bike. Then Hurricane Joaquin happened and the remains of the storm rained out that date.

So new ride scheduled for Oct 11, and now they were able to offer a Fenix Carbon XS. In preparation, I started riding my mountain bike to get some traditional bike saddle time.

Oct 11 was cool and clear with no wind, about 45 F at Front Royal and forecast to rise slowly to mid-60s by mid-afternoon, temperatures maybe 5-10 degrees lower at altitude. The van picked me up on the way to Front Royal from the main pickup point in Maryland (it seemed silly for me to drive an hour to the Maryland pickup point just for the van to drive past my house an hour later and they agreed to pick me up).

Until Sunday, the last time I rode a road bike was probably in 1987, so this ~17 pound carbon fiber superbike was quite an experience and change from my almost 50 pound CruzBike. On this trip were three college kids who met us at Front Royal (they're on the Virginia Tech cycling team), and the van brought a fit guy in his 30s who has run several triathlons and got addicted to cycling, a pretty fit biker my age (late 40s), and me (and the owner of the company riding support on a bike and the drivers of the 2 support vehicles).

The start of the ride is a 1500 ft climb over 6 miles (with a half mile flat in there), mostly steady around 5% grade with a maximum of around 8%. My heart rate hit 180 bpm within the first mile where it pretty much stayed except for a half mile flat. My heartrate recovered on the almost 2 mile descent, but on the next climb I found it hard to get pedaling again. I was uncomfortable pedaling in the saddle and I had less power in my legs. I got more and more uncomfortable and had less and less power. I took several breaks. Several times I got out of the saddle to relieve the pain and get more push on the pedals. On the third climb, at 14.3 miles and 2600 ft of climbing, I got out again and my right calf cramped up and the leg seized up. That was the end of my ride.

Tony (the owner who basically road with me the whole time I was riding) called back the trailing support car and we loaded the bike and I rode in the car the rest of the trip. The other cyclists were up the road in a group of four and a lone rider (the other older guy) trailing, the support van staying with the lead group, the trailing car leapfrogged ahead to the trailing rider then stopped until me and Tony arrived, then leapfrogged again. We drove to Big Meadows and then waited for the other five and the van to arrive for lunch. After lunch the car headed back with me, the other five rode the second half of the century.

On the first climb, I averaged about 7 mph on the light road bike. I suspect I'd be going around 4-5 mph on USS Yiggy. I don't know if I would make it all the way up on it though, but I would have been more comfortable.

Strava RideWithGPS

They're doing more of these free rides, if you're in the Washington DC area you might want to give this a try, it's a great deal on a scenic (and difficult) ride. PM me if you want a direct email address for them.

Bulvelo Cycling Tours - Skyline Drive Training Day

Elevation profile

full

It's moments after the start, and everyone else is getting away!

full

Shenandoah Valley floor

full

Still going up

full

Some more valley

full

full

Looking east... and nearly done in

full

Ridley Fenix Carbon, XS, on support car after ending ride

On the way back (east), from the car

full

Last edited:

VenRiderGuy

SamP,

I applaud your gumption to take on this challenge and equally so for doing such on an unfamiliar bike, especially one with a DF seat. From your description and your photos, it looks like an adventure worth consideration for those close enough. Thanks for sharing!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
They contacted me for details on my bike and after sending them information and a picture decided they couldn't take my bike at this time, so I opted for one of their road bikes.
Great write up - and awesome picturtes!
Sorry for you with the cramping - I can surely relate to that!
So are they not allowing recumbents on the ride?
Looks like a really nice ride - might look into it for some leave peeping!

Last edited:

LarryOz

I just checked with the company that is doing these tours: BulVelo
He did say that it would be OK for me to ride Vendetta. At first he said no, but after a picture and other discussion he said it was OK.
I am considering doing this on Oct 25th. It is about 6 1/2 hour drive to the start for me.
Biggest obstacle may be talking "Mrs Oz" into it, and since we just spent last weekend doing my Century attempt, I might be fighting a loosing battle!
Just thought I'd through it out there and see if there is anybody within decent driving distance that would like to do it. We could have a Cruzbike express!
It is FREE - so there goes that excuse.
There are only 3 people signed up for it too. They will take 10.
"Operators are standing by"

SamP

Guru
The main problem was how they would carry my bike. The van and the car only have rooftop mounting, and my bike was a) very heavy and b) would take a lot of space. On Sunday, they had the van's roof rack full of bikes at one point. They said they might have a trailer in the future and they said I could take my bike on that.

If you (and others) come I might try to be there even if I'm not on the official trip.

Last edited:

LarryOz

Thanks Sam,
Per the owner of BulVelo: "We currently carry Yakima Front loaders and Sea Sucker bike racks.I believe we can put it on the sea sucker." - so that is good news - sounds like they are already trying to make changes to accommodate other bikes, if they did not use those when you rode.
Since I would drive virtually right to the start and would be doing the 100 mile, I guess the only reason they would need to carry the Vendetta would be if I couldn't ride it for some reason during the ride. They obviously need to still be able to carry it regardless - but at least not all the way from Maryland.
It would be cool to meet up with you Sam.
Even better for a little "gaggle" of Cruzbikers for the trip! :)
Yeah - I know that's for geese - I guess someone needs to invent a word for a group of Cruzbikes: Sounds like a Cruzbike contest brewing!

SamP

Guru
There was one point where they ferried the bikes for everyone, due to a confusion on the meeting point for lunch (I think this was actually the first Skyline Drive trip they did), they likely have ironed out the few glitches for the next trip.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Even better for a little "gaggle" of Cruzbikers for the trip! :)
Yeah - I know that's for geese - I guess someone needs to invent a word for a group of Cruzbikes: Sounds like a Cruzbike contest brewing!
Lightening bolt. Flash mob. Pain train. Rocketfest.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Crop and crowd are the only container words that I found (so far) that starts with CR.

"A crop of Cruzbikers" doesn't sound too bad. :D

LarryOz

Crop and crowd are the only container words that I found (so far) that starts with CR.
I got stuck on the "CR" also - and thought of "CREW" - Kind of hard to totally think out of the box though - you know, to invent a totally new word that just somehow embodies everything you mean without meaning anything! haha - talking in circles now! I still seem to want to have something cr.. or bik... in the word!

1happyreader

zen/child method
There was some noise for "TRIBE" a while back.
I think we are all converts.
maybe a cult.
how many in a convoy ?
We certainly ride in comfort,,,, so a cozy ?
I hope we are expanding and growing,, like a crop.

later,,, bye

LarryOz

This thread has "officially" been hi-jacked... :)
Sorry Sam - but what do you expect when a "gaggle, Lightening bolt, Flash mob, Pain train, Rocketfest, crop, crew, crowd, converts, cult, convoy, cozy, tribe, crush, craft, crock, craze, cream, crack, crib, crest, and crescendo" of passionate Cruzbikers get involved.
Can't wait to what else comes down the pipe this evening!
What is this - Cruzbike scrabble or something?

OK - braking out the Thesaurus now...
What fun!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
(Sorry Sam)

I kinda like crush. I think there would be general agreement if we used craze (since they think we're all nuts anyway).

And there's something very pleasing about crescendo.

LarryOz

I also like scramble, ramble, rumble - but then if you mash it with - crescendo - you get:
a scram-scendo, cram-scendo, ram-scendo, raam-scendo...
or,, a
cres-cramble

- then there's cris-cringle - sorry - way too early for that.... I need to get back to work -- or maybe just go home now - and try them out on my "literary" wife.
I'm really liking "scramscendo" now :)

SamP

Guru
Trying to forecast weather 11 days out is really iffy, but weather.com forecast for Front Royal, Oct 25 is low 47, high 64, humid, mostly sunny, 20% chance of rain, light variable winds.
If you wanted to go this Sunday (Oct 18), low 32, high 53, cloudy, no chance of rain, moderate winds.

LarryOz

If you wanted to go this Sunday (Oct 18), low 32, high 53, cloudy, no chance of rain, moderate winds.
Thanks Sam - I forgot this Sunday I am playing in a charity golf tournament.
So, it looks like it is probably the 25th, or nothing.
Nothing is looking more probable unfortunately for me as I was gone last weekend doing the 100 mile record, and this Sunday the golf tournament.
One can only do so much...

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I'm going to put in my 2-cents for "CruzZen" because you just don't ride your Cruzbike, you become one with it.
I probably shouldn't (a) encourage you or (b) go off topic on an off topic thread, but...

This is exactly how I felt once I started clipping in when riding my Sofrider. I had never used clipless pedals before my Sofrider (had always used toe clips).

"What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Who cares? You can clap with both hands when clipped into a Cruzbike."

:D