Skyline Drive (Shenandoah NP, VA), on a road bike

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
And there's something very pleasing about crescendo.
This past summer every time we biked through a tunnel; my little one (2.5) yells echo over an over. As we approach the end and exit her older sister (4.5) yells "crescendo" and of course delivers it in a correct and proper crescendo. Almost drove into the ditch laughing the first time they surprised me with that one.

SamP

Guru
Today I went hunting for some climbing nearby, there's one hill which is a good 5-6% grade, but only about half mile long. I went up it twice. Looks like I was about 5-6 mph. Heart rate 170-180 bpm but I was in a my lowest and second lowest gears and I didn't feel like my legs were all that stressed. Maybe should have done it several more times...

Strava / RideWithGPS

Besides the main route, I went off on some side roads which climbed part way up one of the Bull Run Mountains, unfortunately can't go all the way to the summit because those roads turn into private drives. On the second side trip, I didn't quite make it to the top of the public road, it pitched up to maybe 15% at the end. I walked my bike up the last bit before trying for a Strava KOM going down ("Sonic Thunder Boom"), got 2nd best (out of only 8 people) only 6 seconds off the leader.