Slow Ride

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Some idiots, like me for example, ride on public roads.

Sometimes traffic gets a little heavy around here but mostly the roads are mine.
Yesterday, there was a lot of traffic for some reason.

There was even a train on the tracks, which caused the guard rails to clang down and block traffic.
So, for a while there, I had that road all to myself, weaving down the middle and grinning with glee.

Anyway, to turn left to go home, I gotta turn right at the light and pull into the convenience store
parking lot to turn around and go home: The lights don't sense my bike and the traffic was
dense enough that I was forced to obey the laws... if you catch my meaning.

My ride's average speed was sucked down to the low 16 miles per hour zone because I was
orbiting in the parking lot waiting for a hole in traffic.

It's nice to be reminded every once in a while how sweet the V handles at low speed.
And that's how sweat drips into my eyes: with no 20+ MPH wind to keep my brow dry....

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Some idiots, like me
That's me Steve. However, I live very close to our River trail (paved of course). When there are no "Walkers", etc around. I have the freedom to jack up the speed and feel the freedom. But it's inevitable I will come up into contested ped's or even casual bike riders and have to needle and weave through them at very slow speed - that's the how "sweet the V handles at low speed" comes in to play.

quickbeam

The lights don't sense my bike
If you can see where the sensor wires are in the pavement, you can usually park your bike right on top of one of those wires (not in the middle of the big loop), and it will detect a bicycle. I've done it many times. The problem is if they've paved it after installing the sensor wires, then you have no idea where the wire is at. I've read that putting a strong rare-earth magnet on the lower part of your bicycle will increase the range at which it can be detected.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
If you can see where the sensor wires are in the pavement, you can usually park your bike right on top of one of those wires (not in the middle of the big loop), and it will detect a bicycle. I've done it many times. The problem is if they've paved it after installing the sensor wires, then you have no idea where the wire is at. I've read that putting a strong rare-earth magnet on the lower part of your bicycle will increase the range at which it can be detected.

Magnet = Myth.... see mythbusters episode.

Locally we now have the law that cyclists can treat those as a yield. Almost stop wait for clear; and go. Very big improvement. But I keep that statute printed out and in my saddle bag.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
go back to the REALLY BAD old days with chrome plated steel rims, that would not stop you in 200 yds if there was ANY moisture in the air!!!

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I am in the "some idiots" category. I commute on my Silvio.

Rick Youngblood said:
needle and weave

On the Silvio I am getting better at that. Almost as good as the Grasshopper. Maybe I will be one day.

On one ride years ago both my brake cables snapped.

hoyden

My ride's average speed was sucked down to the low 16 miles per hour zone because I was
orbiting in the parking lot waiting for a hole in traffic.
The last half mile of my ride is uphill and I used to strain my gut to maintain my average speed. Now I tack on an extra half mile to my ride and declare victory just before the uphill. It's so much more pleasant and stress free to leisurely spin my way uphill and arrive home almost rested.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
All of the routes that start at the bottom of the driveway involve hills... every one of them.
The V eats hills way better than the Sofrider which in turn eats hills better than any other
local recumbent bicycle.

To get a good 18mph average, I must bomb uphill as fast as possible, boom downhill in
top gear and spin to win on the flats.
In that order.

Where I used to live, there was a park road popular with dog walkers, joggers, fishermen,
and other users. It was fun when there was only me; it was at it's worst when dogs on flex leads
walked on one side of the road with their owners on the other ... leaving the leash stretched across
the road.

That magnet trick never worked for me and my motorcycles... sometimes some bikes
would trigger a sensor if I put a steel kickstand down on top of the sensor.

Traffic laws and traffic and cops and public relations are an ever-changing dance, one where I think it's my
job to make everyone happy, safe and ticket-free!

It's all good and it's all part of sharing the great outdoors.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Went for a Sunday ride yesterday, because it was Sunday and the Sun was out.
Plus, on the weekend, weekend riders usually are out riding... riders like me, for example.

After pumping up the tyres, setting the computer to zero and checking the major wheel fasteners, I was off and hunting
-er- riding!

As usual, I was racing myself and sprinting up a longish hill and when I crested it, found that I had reeled in a road biker!
She was only doing 18mph and I was coasting half the time, reluctant to pass ... so I turned off and ramped up my speed, doing 22mph uphill on a parallel road.
So, the V with me on it dusted one road biker who had no clue that I was racing anyone other than myself.
Everyone wins!
Of course, I won harder, because this is my post....

During the course of my ride, I passed three other road bikers.
The last one looked long and hard at my Big Yellow bike:
He was cresting the hill going the other way, across the street and I was cresting the hill at a much quicker pace.
The expression on his face... "How ... What ... Who ?!!!"

I still like my bike... a lot.

I feel lucky to be in a (mostly) cycling friendly area. They don't use the wires in the pavement very much anymore where I live. They use cameras now. So I rarely have to wait more than a minute or two for the light to change.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
So I rarely have to wait more than a minute or two for the light to change.
A person could fall asleep with that much spare time - that's why I ride mostly on the track.
Still have to dodge dogs and frisbees sometimes, but rarely have to stop. :)

A person could fall asleep with that much spare time -I ride mostly on the track.
One minute isn't so bad, but two minutes does start to feel like a forever! Sometimes I'm happy for the rest though. I think I'd get bored riding in circles/ovals on a track though - I like the change of scenery of a ride on the streets.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
My girlfriend and I talked a little about my latest 'victory'.
I was reluctant to pass the road biker because I didn't really want to upset her riding plan if any.

We dug down to the basic reasons why I left the lady to ride her ride in peace:
-She was riding solo, dressed in Spandex in public;
-I'm a sweaty old man on a weird bike;
-She could be armed. (TN. is a concealed-carry state... and that's all I have to say on that fact.)

So anyway, concerning changing traffic lights and stops, dogs and frisbees, closed courses and public streets?
Riding on a closed course would be a lot of fun for me, I think.
Out under the sun and in the fresh air... it'd be a riding meditation for me.

Our local stoplights have cameras, but they're the evil kind. They provide revenue to the gang-in-blue and do nothing
for public safety. No, really, it's not my opinion it's really how they work.

I stop at red lights like a good citizen before turning right, because the local traffic signals are on timers.
When it's safe, I turn right on red and ride until it's safe to do a U-turn.
That's how I turn left.
When traffic is heavy, I just have to wait for the light to turn green.
The brief rest is appreciated, for sure.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
My girlfriend and I talked a little about my latest 'victory'.
I was reluctant to pass the road biker because I didn't really want to upset her riding plan if any.

We dug down to the basic reasons why I left the lady to ride her ride in peace:
-She was riding solo, dressed in Spandex in public;
-I'm a sweaty old man on a weird bike;
-She could be armed. (TN. is a concealed-carry state... and that's all I have to say on that fact.)
So - I think I am having a bad brain day - 'cause after all that, I still couldn't figure out if you "passed" her to let her ride in peace, or if you "stayed behind her" to let her ride in peace? :)
Not that it really matters one way or the other - at least she got to ride in peace!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
This morning's ride turned out to be my slowest ride in years, but there's a reason for that:

While we were finishing our morning coffee on the front porch,
we watched a Bachetta Aero and a Giant pass the house, so
I changed, pumped up the tires, centred the brakes, loaded water bottles, zeroed the bike computer,
and went after them.

I caught up!
So, we went for a nice leisurely 30-mile ride.
We only averaged a little over 16mph, but riding with others was a nice change of pace
and riding with another recumbent bike was a first for me.
Yay!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I will do my 'slow ride' tomorrow morning (on the V2/K)...as early as possible as it will be 95F tomorrow afternoon.
I tend to ride the public roads here in town. We have an annual Marathon (Rocket City Marathon) and the route is well marked, passes by my subdivision and is mostly thru less traveled neighborhoods. When I add the local MUT, I can extend the 26mi to 35mi...which I did last Sunday. Mostly flat but mapmyride sez 2000ft of elevation gain over the whole ride. I try to do it all in the big and middle ring...but there are some short/steep bits that require the small ring...esp. toward the end when I'm tired.

My average is much slower...but the course crosses quite a few major roads. Hard to keep up any serious average. I was pleased to see 12mph avg. last week! I started watching my HR and tried to keep it around 130bpm at any given time. The Cateye V3 sez 123bpm avg/160bpm max for last Sunday. Just watching my HR increased my avg speed by 1-2mph. I've been loafing!

We're lucky enough to have a Mayor who is an avid cyclist. He has really improved cycling here a lot. He's tough on his traffic engineers too...one report that a bike won't trigger a given light and they'll be out to re-tune it very quickly. They even have developed a painted marker in the street for the optimum stopping position for a bike to trigger the light. Many of them can be triggered by riding very slowly over the cut lines in the pavement...and the light will turn green before you have to stop. Nice!

Once I get the Vendetta, I plan on moving my rides out to the local Army base. On the weekends it is practically empty and I can easily put in a century with only a little 'lapping'. Well paved, there are two very nice climbs to test me legs, lots of elevation changes and some really nice, fast, straights. Only downside is that they close all the nearside gates (one is only 6mi from my house) on the weekends...so I have to drive 20mi around to get on base on Sundays.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Holy crap...it was sooooo hot and muggy. Made 28 mi and had to call it quits. Average speed went up one tenth (12.3! yay. :rolleyes:)...and I never once used the small ring on the front D. So...I think the new 'rotor' compact double (34/50) is gonna be a winner on the Vendetta.

I gotta figure out a good way to re-load my camelbak bladder. I have it strapped under the seat and it is a royal PITA to remove to refill. I used to use a big plastic funnel rigged with a hose and barb that would easily connect to my drinking hose but that thing is long gone (and it leaked anyway). Gotta figure out something easier. Of course, my set-up will change completely with the Vendetta...still will need to quickly and easily refill whatever hydration system I use. I dislike bottles and cages, etc.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Going fast enough to bend Einstein's mind gets old....

Last week I resolved to do most of this Summer's riding on the local rolling, winding roads and avoid trolling the flatter, straighter roads.
-For a while, anyway.

This morning's ride has all the longest, steepest little local hills. The ones I like to avoid.
It's weird to be sweating faster than the slipstream, the perpetual headwind that I'm used to.

Anyway, my average speed fell off to 17.1mph which is pretty good.
Yay.

And the best part?
I took the lane, slowing for the flagman who was directing traffic around the closed lane.
The speeding truck veered around me, horn blaring, and he had to brake for the flagman that he failed to see in time.
No one was hit, but the pickup driver had to stand on the brakes a little.
I smiled and waved at the road workers on my way by... made my day.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I was up at 0500 this morning, on the road at 0600. I changed my standard route just a little bit and did some minor climbing. I still appear to be stronger than I was back in 2012 when I got off the bikes. Same bike...and I'm essentially the same weight I was back then. I dunno what happened.

Once again, I managed to not use the small ring of the triple and I improved my average speed to 13.2mph. I also did a very comfy 32mph down a local (very straight) descent, pedaling up to an indicated 25 w/o exceeding my self-imposed 130bpm limit. I can't say I held that requirement for a couple of the climbs...but I used to rely heavily on that 30-tooth ring. Now I'm doing the same hills on whatever that mid-ring is.

I use two different ride apps on my phone: "mapmyride" and the Samsung health 'ride' app. I run them both concurrently...of course they almost always give out conflicting data. Meh.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Fast Ride.
Hey, my thread - my rules.

The new seat convinced me that it's ready to rock, so I planned to ride for real this morning.
Boy, did I ride.

Yesterday afternoon, my new bike shoes arrived.
The old shoes have served me well since '07 and show very little wear.
Now they have found new life as actual shoes.
However, the old shoes are trainers with thick soles ... and then there was a big sale ... and now the Vendetta has new shoes!
It's hard to find good bike shoes that don't come with those dumb cleats on the soles.

My old-man power is transmitted pretty efficiently by the V;
the new shoes, with their stiff soles, light weight, and shiny new bling-factor, really helped.

I started the ride kind of slow.
That lasted about three upshifts.
A normal Vendetta ride.

My cadence went up... my climbing speed went up an average of 2 miles per hour.
A few personal bests up hills were achieved.

I
Went
NUTS

Meanwhile, 85F. kind of zoomed up, on the way to the high nineties and my water was getting low....

Next up: Sunday ride!

Yay!