Slow Ride

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I can see it...when I get something for my bike...test it...test it...It works!..then I to go nuts:pand usually speed is involved, then because I live in Phoenix the traffic and drivers cutting me off :eek::mad: brings me to reality for safety's sake :( and I slow down to my 12-15 mph cruising speed.
85 degrees? Our lows here are in the 90 s now with highs around mid teens, that is, 115!o_OThat's why I douse myself with h2o to keep me cool.:cool:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
The heat is not a problem, not that I like it, but I wear a long john (50/50 cotton/polyester) top and keep it wet. The evaporation keeps me cool, sometimes when biking into the wind I get so cold I get goose bumps! I just plan on 20 oz h20 to initially wet my top, then about 10 oz h20 per 3 miles thereafter. And I drink h20 but don't need a lot since my body temp stays cool. I'm thinking I'll get a thermometer and get some data to share.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My oven is dry heat to but it still cooks a turkey . Be careful don't be the turkey . Seriously be careful
But aren't they "all red necks down south"???
Isn't that how they got their nickname?

Protect you neck, AND head as I have got sunburnt through the helmet vents!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
This is my first adult helmet, a Schwinn Intercept.
Of all three of my bike helmets, it's the oldest and still gets worn the most.
-The full-face BMX bike helmet is the fastest, most aerodynamic and most effective of my helmets with the chin bar.
It's also the warmest.
-The three-dollar (Goodwill store bargain) roadie helmet is the coolest with the most vents, but I don't trust it's helmety/protective qualities.
There really isn't very much foam in it: So many vents.

70433077.jpg

Anyway, the cheap Schwinn "Intercept" being modeled by the shiny garden globe has been modified a little bit.
The stock plastic visor was removed and I added an air intake so that this helmet would work with my recumbent.
The paper mache intake scoop works extremely well:
-It moves a lot of air across my head and keeps sweat evaporated before it has a chance to form. Guaranteed cool head.
-It keeps the sun off of my scalp and forehead.

Graphics courtesy of Cindy, a professional graphic artist.

On the Sofrider, the smoothed airflow over the scoop and with no additional frontal area added to the helmet was win-win.
No speed penalty and yet vastly improved comfort.
On the Vendetta, this helmet keeps me cool enough to make enough power to keep going fast but it slows me down
about 2MPH on the top end. It's a good trade-off.

Test the effectiveness of ram-air on your own helmeted head.
You might be surprised how ineffective your roadie helmet is when it is on your recumbent.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Being a FOBG (Fat Old Bald Guy), I always use a Headsweats 'do-rag' or whatever they're called these days. My poor old punkin haid sweats like crazy and without something to absorb it...all of it seems to sluice down into my eyes. The Headsweat also protects me from the sun peeping in thru my helmet vents...so win/win.

Too humid here for evaporative cooling. Yesterday it was 98F at 11am and the humidity made it feel like being underwater.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Being a FOBG (Fat Old Bald Guy), I always use a Headsweats 'do-rag' or whatever they're called these days. My poor old punkin haid sweats like crazy and without something to absorb it...all of it seems to sluice down into my eyes. The Headsweat also protects me from the sun peeping in thru my helmet vents...so win/win.

Too humid here for evaporative cooling. Yesterday it was 98F at 11am and the humidity made it feel like being underwater.
I also own two of those wicking things; they work really well. They get worn, alternately, under my Winter full-face helmet and the bargain full-of-vents height-of-Summer climbing helmet.
I do not wear any headsweat skullcap or do-rag under my vented Schwinn. It cools better without any help and ALL of my copious sweat is swept away/evaporated by the directed airflow. Even on 90+ Deg. F. high-humidity rides.
Believe it or not.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Sunday ride.

This was just my usual sprinting around, split between hills and flatter streets.
Three big fat American vehicles tried to kill me. That's three times more than usual.
One driver pulled over, stopped, opened his window and apologized!
That never happens.

The chain fell past the small ring onto the bottom bracket.
Hey, I thought I checked everything first!
Oh. well, the unscheduled pause was kind of fun: No witnesses.

A mile out from home, I caught a D.F. rider riding my way on my route.
She was on her hoods, so she was too easy.
I shadowed her for half a mile, coasting more than half the time before she heard a clunky downshift behind her.
So I passed her uphill and sprinted for home.
On one 18mph hill, a quick glance at the speedo showed 20mph and accelerating!
Catching rabbits does that.

A minute later, the rider slowed to ask me (in my driveway), "Are you O.K.?"
"Yup: I live here."
18.4 mph average, despite all the distractions.

Fun!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
No ride Sunday...but today I was walking my 3 mile "lunch loop" when I heard the sound of bike tires coming up behind me. I turned and saw my very first Silvio ever (in the flesh). I occasionally see a guy on a black Bacchetta riding at lunch...I wonder if he traded it for a Silvio? Looked like an older model...heck, I didn't even recognize it as a Cruzbike until it was well past me. I think I was in shock. :eek:

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I turned and saw my very first Silvio ever (in the flesh). I occasionally see a guy on a black Bacchetta riding at lunch...I wonder if he traded it for a Silvio? Looked like an older model...heck, I didn't even recognize it as a Cruzbike until it was well past me. I think I was in shock.
At Bikes, Blues & Bayous last year, an older yellow Vendetta came flying by me. I cheered and hollered like some kind of nut. :oops: The rider finished the 62-mile and left before I finished the 46, so I didn't have a chance to talk with him, or look at his V more closely.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
At Bikes, Blues & Bayous last year, an older yellow Vendetta came flying by me. I cheered and hollered like some kind of nut. :oops: The rider finished the 62-mile and left before I finished the 46, so I didn't have a chance to talk with him, or look at his V more closely.

Somehow I missed all that!

mzweili

Guru
turned and saw my very first Silvio ever (in the flesh).
would really like to see another CB in the Quebec City area.
Unfortunately there are very few (if any) CBs in eastern Canada.
Maybe some PR (or retailers) would help to improve distribution in this region.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I saw the Silvio rider again today! This time, he was coming at me and I hollered "NICE SILVIO!!"

I thought he was going to fall off his bike. :eek: He said something like, "you know these bikes?" as he passed by and I said, "I have a Vendetta at home!"

"OH MAN! I wish!" and he rode off...

This time I got a closer look. The bike has sky-blue rims...looked familiar somehow. Anyone had pix of one like that here?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I saw the Silvio rider again today! This time, he was coming at me and I hollered "NICE SILVIO!!"

I thought he was going to fall off his bike. :eek: He said something like, "you know these bikes?" as he passed by and I said, "I have a Vendetta at home!"

"OH MAN! I wish!" and he rode off...

This time I got a closer look. The bike has sky-blue rims...looked familiar somehow. Anyone had pix of one like that here?

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/trying-to-deal-with-recumbutt-on-silvio-1-5.11224/#post-125760

For the win :cool: