So you want to train with power on a budget?

hamishbarker

Among other possible solutions, if plain vanilla circular is ok for you (ooh, how quaint, I still have circular chainrings!) chainrings, there is also the powertap chainring system, but it is limited to 36 tooth at the smallest I think.

for power on a budget I have good experience with really old yellow and black type powertap hubs which I built into wheels myself. On the downside they are 32 hole (for some heavies that's a plus I guess.). They are the old wired type (i.e. wire runs from the little yellow head unit to a receiver on the chainstay next to the hub. the last 75mm from the receiver to the hub is wireless!

These old powertap hubs can be found on ebay at pretty low prices even when I bought mine a couple of years ago. with the proliferation of various lower cost power meter solutions, they must be a bit cheaper. Caveat emptor though as there are some various generational issues with alloy axles bending. Mine are nice old steel axles (with QR).

No ant+ or bluetooth, but works great, records many hours ( think about 10-15) at 1 second frequency, also includes a cadence sensor. I download data to golden cheetah. The hub runs about 1-2 years on a pair of 1/2 AAA cells (very odd little things), and the head unit gets similar time from a 2032 coin cell.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Gary, I have the powertap (GL+) wheel on loan from my dentist.
She uses Quark now and does not need it.
Maybe she would sell you the hub cheap and you could have it upgraded to G3 version.
I was thinking of doing it, but would also either need to use the wheel it is on, or have your wheel re-built.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yes --- but ..... , even though they say they have " no limits", they appear to be "limiting" the crank lengths from 165-180mm.
What gives. How hard can it be to let the device "do the math" for whatever crank length you have.
That blow me out of the water as a user of 140mm cranks - Heck I was thinking of going and trying out 135 or even 130's - Oh well, at least Garmin allows down to 105mm I think

SamP

Guru
I've contemplated making an arduino-based wind sensor using pressure sensors and a pitot tube, but this is a lot easier....