Social Riding Your Cruzbike

Because of Cruzbike's ongoing Racing Lineage, this forum has numerous threads about how to go fast and/or long. And while we all love talking about leaving a DF in the dust, there are times where you might actually like to ride with them.

I predominantly ride my V20 in these situations. I want to ride with my friends. I ride charity rides and social training rides. And I ride a Cruzbike because it lets me ride a recumbent comfortably in these scenarios.

This thread is a place to share your experiences and tips for riding your Cruzbike in settings where you want to ride with other riders not compete against them.

Anybody got any tips for spacing your Cruzbike in a line of other social riders?

Here are some things that I've learned.

1. Give your companions a heads up about hairpin turns. I need a bit more space than a DF to make the turn safely and I will need to slow down.

2. Give yourself extra space on downhills when following a DF. Your CB will eat the gap quickly particularly in rolling terrain.

3. Warn them that you might need a bit more lateral space in climbs.

4. Watch out for wooden trail bollards. They're spaced for DFs and you may need to take a non-traditional line through them. My V20 is much better than my under the seat steering Vision R40, but its still a hassle.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I participate in very few social rides, mostly because I have to load up the bike and drive 30 minutes or more on busy highways to get to one, whereas I have plenty of quiet country roads close to home. So when I do venture out, I prefer to ride *with* people.

Since I got the Silvio, I've ridden it in one recumbent and one DF social ride. Right now, I'm betwixt and between--too slow yet to hang with the faster group, but having to hold back quite a bit to stay with the slow group.

Been meaning to go on a C paced ride I've been on a couple of times with the trike and once on the Rocket. It generally runs on Sunday from 11-4. Since I got my Silvio, it's looked just like the forecast for this Sunday:

upload_2015-6-5_14-21-12.png

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Anybody got any tips for spacing your Cruzbike in a line of other social riders?

Here are some things that I've learned.

1. Give your companions a heads up about hairpin turns. I need a bit more space than a DF to make the turn safely and I will need to slow down.

2. Give yourself extra space on downhills when following a DF. Your CB will eat the gap quickly particularly in rolling terrain.

3. Warn them that you might need a bit more lateral space in climbs.

4. Watch out for wooden trail bollards. They're spaced for DFs and you may need to take a non-traditional line through them. My V20 is much better than my under the seat steering Vision R40, but its still a hassle.
I've noticed that DF riders tend to cross too close to my front wheel sometimes when going slow. Not sure why, but I suspect it's because I'm somewhat invisible compared to what their brains expect.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I've noticed that DF riders tend to cross too close to my front wheel sometimes when going slow. Not sure why, but I suspect it's because I'm somewhat invisible compared to what their brains expect
The same happens to me especially when I have just FLEWN past them on a descent!!! The ONLY time I am faster!!! but lots of DF riders have BIG egos!!!