Sofrider as a Hybrid-Electric HPV in the Making

TalleyHo

I found the Sofrider on BROL classifieds a couple months ago ($750 delivered) as a stable-mate for the Silvio, a way to intro visitors and the curious to Cruzbikes and for my own off-paved-road and casual jaunts. It soon became so much more.

P1010170(1).JPG

A listing of the mods is as follows:
?
  • freerider bars- opens cockpit and looks way-cool
  • Nuvinci hub- awesome performance in concert with e-assist- super deluxe feature
  • e-assist system- 350 W geared hub w 36Vx11ah lithium battery- under 13 lbs total!!!
  • pletsher kickstand (extended)
  • steering damper- 13" bungee cord
Still to come:

• front disc brakes- both Sofrider and Nuvinci are disc brake ready
  • second mirror
  • fender/mud guards
  • Schlumpf HS drive- it's over kill but it's here collecting dust- will clean up cockpit
  • headlights
  • farings- front for weather protection, maybe rear for aero lift
P1010173.JPG

The left side bar clutter will be improved with elimination of FD shifter. The Nuvinci shifter, e-assist console, e-brake lever and mirror are keepers.

P1010174.JPG

The twist throttle is on right side with bell and e-brake lever (rear)

P1010177.JPG

The original RD is now acting as a chain-tensioner, cabled into alignment. The Falco canister battery fits perfectly on Sofrider main tube. The e-hub is smaller than the Nuvinci. I love the small and light system which lowers the over all center of gravity of the vehicle significantly and greatly enhances the handling; this baby wants to lay over and there is the power to come out if you over do the lay over.

P1010171.JPG height:404px; width:605px

This project has already exceeded my expectations which were to have a commuter that will take the rider, who is not young or in great shape, 20 to 40 miles round-trip at a 17.5+ mph average speed and get there and back without being pooped at all. This HPV is proving to accomplish that. The handling, as mentioned, is amazing. The e-assist system a pleasant surprise in power for weight and size and when combined with the nuvinci allows for 0 to 30 mph acceleration in just a few seconds. It's such blast in traffic.

So the Silvio has some competition but I love them both. I've taken the cool-aid. Not sure if I'll want to go back to RWD.

David

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Very Cool!  I've often

Very Cool! I've often thought that Cruzbikes lend themselves to being electrified because of the rear being so simple.

(Although if you're not charging the battery by, say, pedaling a bike turning a generator, I don't know if you can call it an Hpv :D).

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm going to have to give the

I'm going to have to give the wife my Credit Cards until I forget this post exists......

Nicely done

TalleyHo

HPV

Charles,
I have a broad idea of the term... that some of the power is human power. In this case it's 60 to 90% human power the way I drive it, depending on what average speed I'm after. But I'm not going to quibble. I'm OK with it being just a very low EF (ecological footprint) vehicle. At about 55 lbs it has a lot transport value for the eco-impact.

The Cruzbike format is indeed excellent for e-assist, getting both the 2 wheel drive and the fuller body engagement. The lower center of gravity is a significant and little recognized benefit of the e-assist.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I will concur - there is

I will concur - there is nothing quite like being on an all wheel drive Cruzbike. SUPER fun!

:)

Robert

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi TH,
Even if you only use

Hi TH,

Even if you only use the electric motor and never pedal the bike, it is a huge improvement over using a car.

I have a friend of mine who lives where it is extremely hilly. If it wasn't for his electric bike, he wouldn't be able to get out and ride near his house. It opens up a lot of possibilities for a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise choose to ride. So I think they're brilliant

(I just wouldn't call them HPVs :D )

M

Mischa Kramer

Thanks for sharing this post.

Thanks for sharing this post. A recumbent bicycle is a bicycle that places the rider in a laid-back reclining position. Most recumbent riders choose this type of design for ergonomic reasons; the rider's weight is distributed comfortably over a larger area, supported by back and buttocks. On a traditional upright bicycle, the body weight rests entirely on a small portion of the sitting bones, the feet, and the hands.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yeah Post #6 that's not spam

Yeah Post #6 that's not spam at all. Good lord these people need to do something to contribute to society... perhaps medical experimentation....