Sofrider Century

Trevski

Hi folks, just thought I'd post about my latest achievement on the Sofrider.

I entered the 2013 Freeway Bike Hike that we have in Perth, full hike is about 67km, from Mandurah to Perth, up the southbound lanes of the Kwinana Freeway. It was my first time on the hike, and I was a little apprehensive because I've heard there have been a lot of crashes in the past. Over 2000 people started from Mandurah, and over 10000 entered all up, including the shorter distances.

Naturally, I decided that since I'm going to do the hike any way, there's really not that much difference between 67km and 161km....so I left home at 5:20am for the 30km ride to the start in Mandurah. I had to be there by 6:50am, and made it with 20 minutes to spare, so all good. Ate a banana and had a coke, then waited for the start. Not being all that concerned with times etc, I had elected to ride in the 'Taking It Easy' group. I think there must have been a bunch of people who thought 'Middle Of The Pack' meant 20 to 25kph, because within 5 minutes I was passing people from that group. I was sitting on a comfortable 30kph, sometimes a bit higher, and just riding easily and keeping an eye on those around me to avoid the carnage I'd heard about. Then, I started to pay the price of the coffee I'd had at home, and the coke...a couple of nature stops were required, but at least I wasn't alone. I felt sorry for the ladies though - they had to find a lot more cover than we blokes needed!

I did see a few people on the ground, with medics in attendance, but it wasn't the crash-fest I'd been expecting. With 10000 people riding a bike, someone is going to fall off - not that that's any consolation to those whose ride ended lying on the road.

I arrived in Perth with 99.9km showing on the GPS, and had second brekky - sausages, fruit, hot cross buns and water. I still had 61km to go, so I was staying away from the coffee!

The ride back home was easy, because there were no time constraints. I just tootled down the freeway bike path at my leisure, climbed up a couple of really wee hills in Kwinana (in a very low gear) then had a nice ride around the coast back to home.

Final ride statistics were 163.7km ridden, moving time 6:25:10, average speed 25.5kph. I'm particularly happy with the speed, because it's only 2kph slower than I usually average riding just 60km on my carbon DF bike. I got off the bike feeling like I had another 100km in me if I wanted (but I was probably kidding myself). But I'm glad I didn't try it on one of my wedgies!!...well, maybe the tourer with the Brookes saddle would have been OK, but I didn't spend 6.5 hours staring at the road either, so the decision to take the Sofrider was definitely the right one.

Now, I just have to wait for next year!

Cheers,
Trev.

GregFork

Good one Trevski,
I started

Good one Trevski,

I started the other end, Currambine Train Station, started @ 6am in Tuart Hill ride to the train station and back home after only a measly 73k day, but for me @ 53yrs and my usual ride is 20-30k, 2-3 times a week I did pritty good I think, I averaged hi 20 - mid 30k's most of the way.

I was the only Cruzbike that I could see, had a tandem RWD recumbent pass me, and some 3 wheelers with arm cranks blocking the freeway up.

Greg

Trevski

Freeway bike hike

Hi Greg,

Good to know I wasn't the only Cruzbiker! Now I just need a Vendetta to show those DF guys how fast a real bike is...fastest time on Strava was 1:27:58 @ 47.6 kmh, which makes my effort look tame. I'm 261 out of 292!! Glad I said I wasn't in a hurry...

Cheers,
Trev