Sofrider/ Freerider seat angles & headrest

RecycledPlastic

P6302315.JPG Well after about a year of riding my Sofrider, I've become a good enough rider to experiment with the seat angle. Put the seat post in my hydraulic bender and curved it some. then dropped the backrest to 35 degrees. With that angle, my neck seemed like it might get tired so I crafted a quick headrest with some 2" aluminum flat stock. I have temporarily taped some 1.5" foam in place just to test it out. Fits pretty good even with my helmet on. I did have to make some adjustments to the freerider handlebars and it seems to be dialed in for now. I figure if I try too hard to get it just right.....I'll be fiddling with it forever. So I'm just gonna ride it for awhile and just get used to the new posture.

I'm fairly new to biking and been lurking in the background on this forum for awhile. I am totally lost with most of the bike jargon. (MBB, BB, this stay and that stay, blah blah blah) But eventually I'll catch on.

I got my Sofrider because I needed to do some low impact exercise to both lose weight and build cardio. (heart attack 5 years ago). Well, now I've had both knees replaced and lost 140 lbs. The bike along with the gym has gotten me into fairly decent shape for an old coot. I went skiing out in CO for the first time in 12 years and did over 100,000 vertical feet in 5 days. Every black diamond on the mountain at three resorts.

So now I have actually got to like riding the Cruzbike so much more than any bike I have ever owned. It's that Zen thing of "feeling one with the bike" LOL. really, it is.

Well, gotta locate some suitable permanent foam for the headrest and figure how to attach it. Ride safe everyone.

The pic with the rack bag is the seat as far back as I could get it with a straight seatpost. About 50 degrees.

P6302313.JPG

Attachments

• P6302314.JPG
    P6302314.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 32
  • PC232047.JPG
    PC232047.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Well after about a year of riding my Sofrider, I've become a good enough rider to experiment with the seat angle. Put the seat post in my hydraulic bender and curved it some. then dropped the backrest to 35 degrees. With that angle, my neck seemed like it might get tired so I crafted a quick headrest with some 2" aluminum flat stock. I have temporarily taped some 1.5" foam in place just to test it out. Fits pretty good even with my helmet on. I did have to make some adjustments to the freerider handlebars and it seems to be dialed in for now. I figure if I try too hard to get it just right.....I'll be fiddling with it forever. So I'm just gonna ride it for awhile and just get used to the new posture.

I'm fairly new to biking and been lurking in the background on this forum for awhile. I am totally lost with most of the bike jargon. (MBB, BB, this stay and that stay, blah blah blah) But eventually I'll catch on.

I got my Sofrider because I needed to do some low impact exercise to both lose weight and build cardio. (heart attack 5 years ago). Well, now I've had both knees replaced and lost 140 lbs. The bike along with the gym has gotten me into fairly decent shape for an old coot. I went skiing out in CO for the first time in 12 years and did over 100,000 vertical feet in 5 days. Every black diamond on the mountain at three resorts.

So now I have actually got to like riding the Cruzbike so much more than any bike I have ever owned. It's that Zen thing of "feeling one with the bike" LOL. really, it is.

Well, gotta locate some suitable permanent foam for the headrest and figure how to attach it. Ride safe everyone.
Awesome! Where'd you ski?

True story - went to Breckenridge a number of years ago and met a very cajun guy from Lafayette, LA in the elevator. When asked why he liked to ski, he said: "I get to wear my winter clothes". He was in a white undershirt, jeans, and barefoot. :)

RecycledPlastic

Awesome! Where'd you ski?

True story - went to Breckenridge a number of years ago and met a very cajun guy from Lafayette, LA in the elevator. When asked why he liked to ski, he said: "I get to wear my winter clothes". He was in a white undershirt, jeans, and barefoot. :)
Actually, I stayed in Breckenridge too. I skied all nine peaks at Breck and Keystone too. (more on my Facebook page) https://www.facebook.com/bill.ashling.

RecycledPlastic

I have been drooling over the Silvio and reading all the latest posts here. But, I'm just not good enough yet and it is quite a chunk of change. I can wait. The Softie will do in the meantime.

RecycledPlastic

Took my first spill on my Cruz tonight. Front tire went flat right as I was making a high speed quick turn. Went down on left side. Knew one was inevitable. Good to get it outa the way. Actually easiest spill I've ever taken on any bike or motorcycle. Only got a little elbow road rash and the mirror bit the dust. Tires might be ready to replaced too. Any ideas on what is a good replacement tire for the sofrider????

I have been drooling over the Silvio and reading all the latest posts here. But, I'm just not good enough yet and it is quite a chunk of change. I can wait. The Softie will do in the meantime.
My first recumbent was a rocket I got in November. Went from that to a Silvio in 6 months. You're way ahead of where I was with a year on a sofrider.

hurri47

That seat angle is still relatively upright. My experience with lowering seat angles is my neck protests at first but eventually it gets stronger. Every time I lowered the seat on my Hurricane I installed a quicky headrest like yours and then discarded it within a short time. You may have even found something similar already.

-Dan