Sofrider Metric Orlando

1happyreader

zen/child method
Celebrating my FIRST Metric,,, new mileage high 4 me.

11d45e41-5650-4551-9955-8afaea57c4af_zps0af9d4ce.jpg

rolling 4 hrs 26 min
avg 14.8 mph

endomondo

a Shout out to the Cruzbike Vendetta that passed me on the home stretch ( Orange Ave in Heathrow )

first time eating during a ride... Glad Press N Seal is NOT my friend for one handed unwrapping.

Many thanks to the Rotary club and all the local bike shops providing SAG support.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Great job, Tim! Good looking

Great job, Tim! Good looking metrics.

What kind of daytime highs did you have? We're back to cooler weather here.

-Eric

1happyreader

zen/child method
Dooh, not much of a report.

Eric,,

Guess I should not have posted with the football game ON.

The normal rainy season weather pattern in Orlando is Sunny mornings temp rapidly rising form mid 70's to low 90's by noonish,
Cooler sea/gulf breeze meets warm land air and produces increased clouds and late afternoonish evening storms. Water control ponds flank every parking lot and highway collecting runoff and providing swamp like humidity. Comfort is defined by shade and breeze.

Since it rained on each of the last 3-4 days humidity was up around 90% ( two liter sodas cover with condensation before you can get them loaded into the car in the parking lot.

I was wary of spending 5 hrs on the road without shade so I dutifully slathered my legs with sunscreen and donned cooling sleeves, sweatband for my head ,chapsticked lips, and my usual big dabrim visor.

I was PREPARED......
So I got an atypical day. I did not see sunshine till mile 40. Did you know riding without sunglasses allows you to see insects just before they impact your face.

Tried my best to drink often and before thirst .. 2 liter water bladder and topping off a water bottle at each rest stop seemed adequate,, maybe not as I only took one bathroom break.

Being slower than the roadie's I was only passed by one group between miles 18 thru 47 when the 100 milers rejoined my route, and that group had missed the same turn I overshot; wonder how many extra miles that cost them ?
Sitting reclined and enjoying the scenery makes it easy to miss turn prompts painted on the road.
I hate county roadsigns that only show cross street names, cost savings I guess, and surely you know what road you are on right ?? Gotta look into navigation software before I try this again.

Was so shocked when a Cruzbike Vendetta passed me in my last 8 miles that I did not see what jersey the rider was wearing.
I would have sat with him for the post ride burger. I only remember seeing 4 recumbents all day .

folks seemed suprised I finished on my Sofrider, didn't bother me except for a group that I had played tag with all day. The group took longer breaks at each rest stop and I would pull in just before they headed out. Did they think I would disappear in the last 10 miles ???

So good ride , did not get sun broiled or rained on.
Paced myself ,No rubbery shaky legs or zombie fatigue, enough gears for the overpasses and bridges. No more fear about riding that distance.
Have to increase my speed so I can be part of a group.
I am thinking about saving the bladder for solo rides and riding lighter? with a bottle or showers pass system and taking advantage of the scheduled rest area's water for refills.

later,,, enjoy your ride.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I remember my first 40 mile

I remember my first 40 mile ride - I couldn't walk downstairs for 6 hours after.

And...don't forget that 97.79% (ish) of folks out there hear "66 miles!" on a bike and stand, with their jaws on the floor, in awe.
As they should - it's a fantastic accomplishment.

Way to go!

jimbo3b

Well Done!

Your rolling time beat my first metric century by more than an hour--I am indeed impressed. There's such a well-deserved feeling of accomplishment when you finish a ride like that. I think that it's neat how this community can celebrate accomplishments at all levels, not just world-record rides (although they are fun to read about too!).

Tuloose

Guru
What ride was this that you

What ride was this that you did?
I lived in Orlando & Winter Park for 28 sweaty years.
I was a member and served on the board of the Florida Freewheelers bike club.
Met my wife on the 6 day Bicycle Safari back in 1991.
I did a number of centuries, the Horrible Hundred being a favorite, and twice completed the cross FL ride - 170 miles in one day.
I sure wish I had been riding a Cruzbike back then. I wouldn't have suffered nearly as much pain. If I was doing a century I would start downing ibuprofin at about the 60 mile mark.
I got into recumbents around 2003 and never went back to my Italian road bike.
We moved to Oregon in 2008 and now that hills are part of my routes I am grateful that I have a Cruzbike.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Salute to Freedom Ride

Tuloose,

I got this off their website.
The Champions Ride for Charities is a new name to continue in the tradition of the Salute to Freedom Ride, a Central Florida cycling event many riders are familiar with. Although the name has changed our focus remains the same - to donate all proceeds of this ride to benefit local charities in Seminole County. This year the beneficiaries are the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, Seminole County Branches and The Sharing Center.

Currently the Lake Mary ? Rotary club is running or resurrected this ride in the suburban north of Seminole and Volusia County .

I did a 30 mile route on my Day6 in 2013.

So the Metric on my Sofrider was a pleasant adventure in 2014.

If I ever get up to the centuries I hope to at least do the Metric Horrible Hundred route in Lake county.