Sofrider Rides, V1.2 and V1.3

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
A cold, rainy spell is on it's way.
So, while the Fall weather was holding temps. in the high 70s F. this week,
I've been getting as many rides in as I could!

One of my riding routes is comprised of mixed hilly country
roads and rolling two-lane highways.
I like it because the hills keep me challenged and the rolling
stuff keeps my speed up.
Right now, the Fall foliage -especially the maples and sumacs
are at their height....

Anyway, I have two seats for my Sofrider.
One is reclined at 33 degrees;
the other is reclined at 18 degrees.

The 33 degree seat, I built a few years ago and have a great
deal of experience on.
The 18 degree seat, I built this Summer and have just enough
experience with to not be too dangerous, out in traffic.

I thought I'd post comparative times, just for fun, riding
my route on first one seat and then the other.

On my 33 degree seat, I pedal the 26.1 mile route at an
average speed of 16.3 miles per hour.

On my 18 degree seat, I pedal the 26.1 mile route at an
average speed of 17.6 miles per hour.

My average should improve on the more reclined seat, as
I become more acclimated to it.

;)

-Steve

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
That's interesting, Steve. To

That's interesting, Steve. To push 17.6 on the 33 degree seat would require an increase in power of (17.6/16.3)^3, or 26%.

Or to ride at 16.3 on the 18 deg seat would save you a lot of power.

On the Vendetta the seat is now removable, which means that serious tinkerers could elevate the seat pan a few centimeters, altering the seat back angle. We don't do this for Maria, as we are documenting particular design and training cases. We could do it at some point, I suppose.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, Mr. 'T' !

In the past, I have managed to ride that route as fast as just a wee bit over 17mph, average speed
on my 33 deg. seat.
That was really pushing hard, for me!

The reason the Vendettas' seat is removable...
-easier shipping;
-different seat sizes to fit the different (and hydroformed future frame) sized V. frames,
right?

It's interesting to me too, that the aerodynamic difference between more recline and less
is about 25%.
That's the same difference between the Vendetta (with the most seat recline in the Cruzbike lineup) and the Silvio!

It just proves that at higher speeds, superior aerodynamics rules...
or, in my case, less frontal area anyway.

Thanks for the maths help, Mr. Tolhurst!
:)

-Steve

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
It is said that a good farmer

It is said that a good farmer can fix anything with a piece of fencing wire. I myself has made keys and corkscrews from coathangers. And that pretty much sums up my approach to maths. Ignore all the constants! :D

JAE1969

Windy, Cold, Sunny Skies and Awesome!

Windy, Cold, Sunny Skies and Awesome!

Temp gauge read 35F and the wind was whipping but five layers and thermal bibs did the trick. Not to mention taping up the vents in my shoes.

I love the Vendetta!!!!!!

Below is a link to the ride. It was a recovery ride for me following my earlier 50 mile ride this week so I chose to ride the flats. Problem with them flats is there is a lot of wind. Oh we'll. I was outside on the bike.

I got my GoPro camera now just need to edit some video and figure out how to convert and post it. Stay tuned.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/198296585

JAE1969

Video of Vendetta Ride

Here is my first video of my ride on Oct 26th. I had to dial down the resolution a bit and it is not that exciting of a course, but as I get use to the GoPro I will try and make them more exciting. I am also going to try a few different camera positions to see what works and looks best. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6BMZAi_p1I

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
not enough bait

Gee, thats some nice open empty roads you got out there. But seems to me, you're a little lacking for BAIT!!!!
devil_smile.gif

JAE1969

This ride was not that

This ride was not that exciting, but it is WIDE open and the rodes are rider friendly. Plus it is a good flat recovery ride.

As for BAIT, I thought I had a riding partner when Is aw that other rider corss the intersection. But as I approached and saw the luggage rack on the back and his gym shorts I knew I was still solo. But you got to love his face when he saw me pass on the Vendetta. Priceless!! haha

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
When I use my iPad, YouTube

When I use my iPad, YouTube proclaims the video is not authorized to be viewed on my mobile device. I think there is an edit option for syndication where you can check it to allow play on mobile devices.

Worked fine on my PC. Looks like a good riding area. I've been researching video cameras. Are you happy with your GoPro?

-Eric

Hilry

Lovely Ride

Hi Jae,

Lovely ride.
And the photography was fine. No chin in it like some I have watched.

I saw one vid that was a guy on a recumbent going down, well it must have been a mountain cos it took him 28 minutes and must have been 10 or 15 miles. I was riveted right to the end though, and he did chew up quite a few bait and the occasional motor.

I'll look forward to some more nice sunny ride views to tide me over the winter.

H

JAE1969

Eric,
There is a setting in

Eric,
There is a setting in the advanced settings tab called "syndication" that allows it to be viewd on mobile devices. However, for some reason it does not allow me to change this setting for this video. It allows me to change it for other videos I have done, but not this one. ???????????? I will keep trying and look at it for other videos I make. Sorry. If you know of any tips let me know.

Hilry,
I think I saw the video of the guy on a Vendetta going downhill following a road bike and he went a little wide on a left curve, went into the soft ground on the side of the rode and ate some pavement. Ouch.

What you all didn't see in my video was the part I editted out. For the first time in 15 years of training rides and riding competitively, and now riding the V, I went down. Nothing major. I was rolling behind a pick up truck on a slight uphill approaching a stop sign and I waved on the car at the approaching stop sign in front of me as he was turning in front of me. Well as I did this, my bars went to the right slightly, I pedaled to keep mementum and rolling, but went toward the curb. I tried to get me feet unclipped but as I put my right foot down, I was too close to the curb and attempted to not scrape the wheels or bike up, put my foot down and it slipped. Needless to say, at this point I had come to a complete stop and simply fell over side ways into the grass. My pride was the only thing hurt. LMAO!!!!!!!!

I guess one simple little fall like this in 15 years of competitive riding and training is a pretty good track record. hahahahha

JAE1969

GoPro Video - Vendetta

Following is video of my last ride on my Vendetta before the weather got too cold. This is video of a screaming downhill where I hit 41mph. It was AWESOME!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA0KEvwS5Os

Enjoy and I hope to have more videos posted soon.

JAE1969

If you set your YouTube

If you set your YouTube resolution to best quality, you can actually see my speed computer. At the bottom of the YouTube window is a little symbol that looks like a sprocket. Set video to 720 or 1080 or highest quality. Enjoy,

JAE1969

GoPro Video

Here is another part of the 40+mph downhill. This was about 10 miles later on the flat. I was feeling good and went all out. Held 30-31mph on the flat for several miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS96C5S3cxM

JAE1969

Videos in order

I was asked offline if I had any more videos on the Vendetta. Not sure if I have shared these, but here are the four that I have in cronilogical order:

This is the first video I took. It is a simple ride in the flats. It was cold and windy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6BMZAi_p1I

This video was on a downhill where I hit 41mph. I love blowing past people and the look on their faces; part shock of being over taken, part shock of how fast they are being over taken and part shock of "what the hell just over took me". haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA0KEvwS5Os

This video is about 10 miles after the 40mph downhill. I hit the flat levee trail and was feeling good so I decided to test myself and see what this bike could do. I held 30mph for several miles. I did have a slight tailwind, but this bike is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS96C5S3cxM

This last video is just shortly after the 30mph video. I have not yet ridden with anyone, and actually, none of my old riding buddies even know I bought this bike. Since I tend to go past other riders and non have been able to hang or pass me, I approached this rider that was riding at about 20-22mph and decided to hang with him for some experience. You will see that I had to slow down considerably as I approached. I rode with him for several miles but he was just too slow. So off I went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekcxyJVmOP8

Enjoy.