Sofrider V2 Specs

xkred27

Hello.

This is my first post. I'm considering the Sofrider V2 but have several questions.
1. http://www.cruzbike.com/sofriderv2.html lists one set of drivetrain components, while Doug Barton's comparison of the V1 and V2 states:
The V2 replaces the original Shimano Alivio and Revoshift parts with a set of carefullychosen
components aimed at honing the bike for its new “sports-touring” role. The
“lower” derailleur is SRAM X7, shifted by SRAM X5 1:1 shifters, on a very nicely-made
SunRace wide-ratio M60 11/32 tooth cassette. Where the V1 used a “granny gear” cogset,
the gearing on the V2 is evenly-spaced across the range, and the right ratio always seems
to be available. The “upper” derailleur is a Microshift FD42, a rigid and precise mech
chosen by several respected recumbent manufacturers for its predictable performance and
compatibility with 1:1 cable pull ratios. The single-ring 44t/152mm crankset has been
replaced by a Truvative 53/39t road double crankset, with 170mm crank arms, turning a
square-taper bottom bracket. The resulting gain-ratio range is 2.3 to 9.0, with a typical
road crankset drop on the chainring downshift.
Which spec is correct?

2. How much does the stock Sofrider V2 weigh?

3. I'm currently running a 50-38-24 x 11-34 configuration on my RANS Stratus and am fairly sure I'd want to put a triple on the Sofrider. Would probably run something like a 46-36-24. Any constraints to doing that?

4. A local Cruzbike dealer doesn't actually have any Cruzbikes in stock--except for the Silvio he's building up. I'm assuming that demo'ing the Silvio would give me a sense (OK, a heightened sense :mrgreen: ) of the Cruzbike experience, specifically of front-wheel drive/MBB and of the seat. The seat is important b/c I have some lumbar disc problems that could make or break the deal. Are the seats comparable (aside from the fact that the Silvio's isn't adjustable)?

Thanks!
Peter

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Peter,

I weighed the SRV2 at 34 Lbs.

The bike I reviewed had the SRAM x5/x7 drivetrain. The Microshift parts in the spec list are at least as good if not better. Microshift parts are a Taiwanese bicycle secret weapon - very nice parts with very little notoriety. They will do nothing but expand their market given the quality and price of these parts. The bike you receive may be equipped either way; if you have a preference you should state it when you order; both types may be in the warehouse.

The bike will accept a triple with the existing drivetrain. The issue is if you are short, the TFT adjustment will cause the chain to drag on the front derailleur cage when you are in the bottom ring. Most folks with triples use the bottom ring very rarely due to the ability of the bike to recruit upper body muscles, where most recumbents can't do this.

The seat pressings are the same between the Silvio and the other bikes. The other bikes work really well when the seat is adjusted to emulate the Silvio seat configuration. Lumbar support is good.

Please post any questions you have, and welcome!

Best,

Doug

xkred27

Quote: The bike will accept a triple with the existing drivetrain. The issue is if you are short, the TFT adjustment will cause the chain to drag on the front derailleur cage when you are in the bottom ring.

Doug:

Thanks for the reply. I'm 5'10" w/ a ~29 inch inseam and a ~41-42" x-seam. Think a triple would work w/ these measurements? FYI, I hope to test drive a Silvio this weekend. I can't wait.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
xkred27 wrote:
Quote: The bike will accept a triple with the existing drivetrain. The issue is if you are short, the TFT adjustment will cause the chain to drag on the front derailleur cage when you are in the bottom ring.

Doug:

Thanks for the reply. I'm 5'10" w/ a ~29 inch inseam and a ~41-42" x-seam. Think a triple would work w/ these measurements? FYI, I hope to test drive a Silvio this weekend. I can't wait.

Peter,

If you've never ridden a FWD before, do not be surprised or disheartened if you struggle a little. These bikes are easily mastered, but rarely, if ever, the first time out.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
xkred27 wrote:

Doug:

Hi Peter,

The triple will be close; my inseam is 28" and I don't know that a 30t granny would work on my Sofrider. On the other hand, it's set up with a 50/34t double and an 11/34t Deore cassette and I've newer felt like I didn't have enough gearing.

Be well,

Doug

Rick Harker

Hi Peter,

The problem with moving bottom bracket bikes is that there isn't a lot around yet to test ride and repeating Mark's comments you don't just jump on and ride away. This is also an advantage because a potential thief cannot jump on and ride away. In fact it would be very humorous.

I've had my Sofrider V2 about a week now. Out of the box it was together in about an hour. I rushed somewhat to get a ride in before dark. My first few tries were a calamity and provided great entertainment with my neighbors and I had slight thoughts about putting it back in the box but with many experienced riders enjoying their bikes I knew I had to take a step (or two) back.

To go back, the components are fine. They work and work well for the purpose. If you want to talk numbers and names then forget it. If you were to close your eyes you wouldn't tell the difference.
Mine has the Sram twist shifter and gears with 2 chain rings as specified but provision is there if you want to put that granny gear on. I've never been a fan of these but these work well and accurately select the gear with no fuss. I see no need for change except to try something different.
The seat base can be moved forwards and back with the back rest also being able to change angles.
In conclusion of the bike and components its very good.

For riding... Different, very different.
I think all will agree that doing the flintstone thing first is important. Get a feel for the cruzing before your feet go for the pedals and even then, little pressure on the pedals. Practice some turning and before long you will start to "get" it.
When you do you'll get a great sense of achievement.
Some fine tuning with seat, stem and bars will improve riding characteristics and the recumbent grin will shine wherever you go. The comfort factor is wonderful even after five or six hours in the seat.

Last weekend I went for a ride in a populous place and everyone looks but the most vocal are the kids who "want one."
Oh! another thing for new riders (me included here) not too far too soon. "Ooow! my legs".

Regards,

Rick.

xkred27

Rick Harker wrote: Hi Peter,
The comfort factor is wonderful even after five or six hours in the seat.

Rick:

Thanks for the detailed account of your first experiences. I can now go into this process with proper expectations. I plucked the above quote b/c to me it's as important as everything else folks have written. I'm 52 and simply cannot ride in an upright position. I've been demo-ing some of RANS' crank forward machines the past couple of weeks, and although they are a fine product, even their ergonomics provoked a lot of pain. This has been very discouraging. So I'm back to searching for a second (more portable) recumbent to match the 42 pound beast that is my RANS Stratus. All this to say that the comfort factor is far more important to me than componentry. OTOH, with time on my hands (always a dangerous thing :mrgreen: ), I've begun to dream of a dual-wheel (700s and 26s) Sofrider. I know 700s will fit based on Doug's post in http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=37220&highlight=cruzbike, but I have some follow-up questions, which I'll post in a new thread.

Others: Thanks, too, for your replies.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
xkred27 wrote:
Rick Harker wrote: Hi Peter,
The comfort factor is wonderful even after five or six hours in the seat.

Rick:

Thanks for the detailed account of your first experiences. I can now go into this process with proper expectations. I plucked the above quote b/c to me it's as important as everything else folks have written. I'm 52 and simply cannot ride in an upright position. I've been demo-ing some of RANS' crank forward machines the past couple of weeks, and although they are a fine product, even their ergonomics provoked a lot of pain. This has been very discouraging. So I'm back to searching for a second (more portable) recumbent to match the 42 pound beast that is my RANS Stratus. All this to say that the comfort factor is far more important to me than componentry. OTOH, with time on my hands (always a dangerous thing :mrgreen: ), I've begun to dream of a dual-wheel (700s and 26s) Sofrider. I know 700s will fit based on Doug's post in http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=37220&highlight=cruzbike, but I have some follow-up questions, which I'll post in a new thread.

Others: Thanks, too, for your replies.

Hi, xkred27:

I bought my Sofrider about a year ago, just on the strength of the obvious engineering advantages as compared to other, lesser recumbent designs.
After learning to ride it well enough to keep out of the way of fossil-fueled traffic, I've had problems with cracked lips: all that dang recumbent-grinning.

The point I want to make is, this machine is the most comfortable two-wheeled thing I have ever ridden, by a long shot.
My legs tire long before I ever feel the least bit uncomfortable in the saddle.
I've ridden everything from my first tricycle up to Honda's top-of-the-line GoldWing Interstate motorcycle.
Comfortwise, the Cruzbike seat (for me) wins hands down.

-Steve

JonB

Zen MBB Master
xkred27 wrote: So I'm back to searching for a second (more portable) recumbent to match the 42 pound beast that is my RANS Stratus. All this to say that the comfort factor is far more important to me than componentry. OTOH, with time on my hands (always a dangerous thing :mrgreen: )
I am a little reluctant to post about a "competitor" on cruzbikes board, but i would not feel so scared, this competitor is much more expensive, probably more fragile, but it is a folder recumbent, and that should be portable. I found a site about a guy who traveled with it arround europe. But in the end i did not feel like paying $2593.48 USD for it when i could get a Freerider for less than half of that.

You could build a "cruzbike" folder using a brompton? i read someone doing that with the kit, and he even has a Child seat on it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Kt_d3fy_pU

The folder recumbent i was thinking of is the M5 CMPCT, which i find very elegant, but still fragile, and it has a long chain, and the chain is close to my pants + a small frontwheel. I want a bike i can ride anywhere, not just in the city.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jon,

Several folders have been built using kits, but getting them to fold after conversion is tricky. Still, you can idsmantle the seat and still have a very portable bike.

There are pics over at the Yahoo group.

Be well,

Doug