https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/6278046662.html

00B0B_Sfbikcdjhw_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
From Craigslist:

Disc brakes
Rear suspension
Two sets of cranks I have for it are 2 or 3 chainrings for 18 or 27 gears.
26" wheels make it RTD/Hop friendly!

I modified this bike to accommodate my short height (5'0") by putting on a shorter stem, shorter cranks, a shorter boom (the adjustable piece in the front that accommodates a huge range of heights), and a new fork. However it is still ever so slightly too much of a stretch for me when I pedal. I'd say it's appropriate for anyone 5'2" or taller.

The Cruzbikes are super comfortable and great for folks with back pain on an upright bike. There's a learning curve with the front-wheel drive, but here's a blog post of a bike-camping trip on West Magnolia I undertook with a friend on a different Cruzbike model which gives a sense of how they ride: http://cruzbike.com/blog/2015/12/08/adventures-bike-camp-trip-in-nederland-co/

Happy to hand it off with both sets of cranks, both stems, both forks, and both booms. The 'parts' photo shows the new ones I put on the bike for its current set-up. Also has a seatpost rack with a pair of Jando saddlebags that are well-used but functional.

Threadless stems - 85mm and 105 mm
Cranks - 145mm and 155mm

benphyr

Guru-me-not
On reading Craigslist advertisement more closely..

This person has obviously spent quite a bit of energy trying to make this bike fit! Regarding the boom length for shorter riders I have responded and share in case either of these thoughts can solve this challenge. I've put the full details on separate threads in case they are helpful to others.

Option 1: Shorten Boom and Slider
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/s...qx100-option-1-shorten-boom-and-slider.11905/

-cut down Boom and Slider by necessary amount.
-place shim if necessary
-re-clamp Boom and Slider and give it a try

Option 2: Change Boom and Slider to stem joint location
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/s...2-boom-and-slider-just-below-handlebar.11904/

-move slider stem clamp up to just under the handlebar stem. This may require an additional stem or clamp at the headset and I have not tried this, it is a thought..

I have placed this here to direct traffic to the other threads and not to derail this Marketplace thread. There are more details on the other threads and any comments on the modifications should probably happen there.

Cheers,
Ben.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Weight: I had similar thoughts but wanted to try a Cruzbike before committing to a major purchase so I purchased most of a conversion kit. The experience of 2 years of commuting on it says even a heavy conversion kit with a less than ideal frame is well worth it. I say jump on one of these used Sofriders, Conversion Kits, or Quest/QX100 to try it out. The Qs will be the most adjustable and you can set them up as a starter / learner and then adjust to simulate a reclined position similar to the S or V models.

Caveat: In my opinion weight should be a secondary consideration over quality and functionality and after any other criteria deemed important such as if this bike is a stepping stone to learn on to see if you want to spend the big bucks on the best rides.

If you want light weight at all costs then realistically the options are limited (are in order of cost from high to low):
-buy new V20 (or S40 with high end lightweight specs)
-buy the last S30 from http://www.nybents.com/cruzbike/
-buy a used V20 from this website
-buy a Sofrider/Quest/QX to learn on anticipating that you will choose one of the above options once you have learned
-build your own out of carbon fibre

If none of the above meets the price range and light weight is still at the top of the list then maybe even though Cruzbikes climb well, even though they can hold their own with lighter diamond frame road bikes regardless of weight, that even though the increased comfort will result in longer endurance then realize that weight is the highest priority and will point away from Cruzbikes, in fact away from all but carbon recumbents, away from trikes, fat bikes, especially suspended mountain bikes, touring road bikes, and all but the high-priced diamond frame racing specific road bikes that start at the price of the road and race series Cruzbikes and move on up to $10,000.

The only advantage I see to this train of thought is weight savings. While significant, in my opinion, weight is not nearly as large a factor and is compensated adequately by comfort-ergonomic pain prevention and mitigation, increased endurance, and therefore increased enjoyment.

The more important consideration is whether the inherently easier to make and lighter structure of diamond frame which requires the body to adjust to the frame is worth the negative impacts that adjusting the body to the frame entails.

Recumbents on the other hand have a structure which is designed around the body (adjusted to suit the body's needs) and where the body is in the ideal position though slightly more complex and therefore slightly heavier. This results in a heavier frame/fork combination but gives a starting point of healthy, relaxed body position. Cruzbike has developed bikes from this better starting point, with better aerodynamics, a similar high efficiency drive train, and decreasing weight.

With a head start of 70 years or so, a whole worldwide industry, diamond frame bikes are lighter but still ergonomically challenging. Just think where Cruzbikes will be as they are already ergonomically correct, efficient, and effortlessly comfortable with the ONLY drawback being static weight - weight which only affects acceleration and climbing hills which are both long and steep otherwise the aerodynamics overcomes both of these factors.

I look at the acceleration of stop lights, stop signs, crossing major streets as being interval training and at the extra weight of the bike as training and someday I will be able to afford a purpose built model.

Most importantly: Find a way to start Cruzbiking - whether that is through a conversion kit to a V20 - you will be glad you did.

Cheers,

Ben.

dtseng

Hi Ben, I totally agree with your analysis. Through Maria's arrangement, I had the chance to try a Q559. I was considering to get a used one as a starting point. I contacted the seller and she was willing to ship it.
Then I told myself: why not get S40 and learn from there. I am a skinny person (weigh 54 Kg) and have been riding road bike for many years. Therefore, I am very conscious about bike weight. Right now I am still
deliberating the last option you suggested above: custom build one out of titanium.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Hi dtseng,
You can get the S40 or S30 now and you can build the titanium one at your leisure. Once the titanium one is completed (and you have shown it off to us all) then you can sell me your used bike - maybe I can afford it by then! I think the challenge of custom building one is that the structure is not quite as inherently simple as the diamond frame's three triangles sharing one side.
Cheers,
Ben.