Something (really stupid) happened on the way to the Park

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Rarely do we do "one thing" so stupid and life threatening, even rarer do we do 2 stupid and life threatening things in one day, or perhaps even in our lifetime.
But - I was witness to someone so dense that they did 3, yes 3, "stupid and life threatening" things all in he course of a one hour period!
I am sad to say that person was me - and I thank the Lord that I am still alive to tell the story to someone. This is perhaps the only reason I am still alive!

The sad story of my stupidity:
I had just finished my "bike cycle rack insert" (see attached picture) - for my trailer the day before, and gave it a trial run to Gary's. It worked great!
trailer bike rack.jpg
The stupid part of the story all started the next day, on a beautiful sunny day after church.
I wanted to drive down to Carrier Park (about 30 minutes away) to do some power and speed testing on the enclosed track in that park.

I stuck my Vendetta in the trailer pushing the wheels down into the grooves between the 2x4's.
Nice tight fit. No need to tie anything down after all the trailer is 2 feet deep.

So I took off to Carrier Park and got on the interstate - Very busy for 2pm on Sunday afternoon, but it is after all peak leaf peeping season, so understandable.
I am driving about 65 mph, and am looking in my rear-view mirror at my Vendetta, wondering now: "if I hit a big bump could the bike ever pop loose and out of the trailer?"
I had not actually totally finished that though when to my amazement and dis-believe I saw the Vendetta suddenly lifting up in the air and dropping out of sight behind the trailer!
Heck, I didn't even hit a bump - it was all air!
I was beyond horrified - my beautiful red V20 bouncing and sliding down the Interstate with bumper to bumper traffic traveling 60+ mph!
I slowed down as much as I dared with the trailer and just so happened to be about 100 yards from an exit ramp.
I pulled over in the no-mans-land between the interstate and the exit ramp. Put my flashers on and got out of my car.
I look back about 150-200 yards: there was my poor red V20 lying in the middle of the 2 lanes of I26, with cars and trucks trying to dodge her as they sped by.
It is amazing to me that the traffic did not appear to hesitate or even slow down! It was more amazing that no one got in an accident with all the swerving and dodging going on.

I was obviously not thinking very clearly at this point in time. My only thought was to rescue my Vendettta!
She looked so frail and helpless lying there in the middle of the Interstate.
I started out towards her and was still amazed at the volume and speed of the cars and trucks as the sped by me - a pedestrian walking towards them.
No one even appeared to consider slowing down. It was dumbfounding!
As I got closer to the Vendetta and farther away from the exit ramp, I was suddenly overwhelmed with fear and confusion: It did not look like it would be possible for me to ever get out into the middle of the interstate safely. It was just bumper to bumper of speeding vehicles!
Suddenly one kind soul in the right lane started slowing down as she saw me and finally came to a complete stop about 100 feet or so past the Vendetta. Then the left lane stopped too. Obviously everyone behind them had no choice at that point.
I waved my thanks and apologizes at her and others as quickly ran past them to retrieve my poor baby! (briefly wondered if this was going to be on the evening news!)
I picked her up and quickly ran back to the safety of my car and trailer - the traffic resumed almost instantly.

I inspected the Vendetta briefly. Both tires flat. Lots of little scuffs and scratches on the wheels, skures, brake handles, derailleur, headrest, etc.- but I didn't note anything catastrophic.
I put the Vendetta back in the trailer and took a piece of wire rope in my car and tried to tie her down the best I could.
I got off the exit ramp and called Gary (BentAero) and told him what happened.
I was less than 5 miles away from him, so I drove to his place slowly and carefully.
When I got there, we took the Vendetta off of the trailer and inspected it more thoroughly.
Neither Gary or I could see anything really structurally wrong with the bike. Amazing but true!!
So we put it back in the trailer and strapped it down tight this time, and I tool off once again to Carrier Park.
Gary was going to follow in a few minutes with his Vendetta too.

20 minutes later I arrived at Carrier Park and unloaded the Vendetta. I had to put some different wheels on her because the 2 on her during the wreck had blown tubes now.
But I am happy to say that I was able to ride her on the track for a half hour or so, and everything seemed fine.
Gary rode behind me and said from what he could see everything looked nice and straight!
What a miracle!!!

As I was leaving the park and after I loaded the bike back up and strapped it back in, I noticed that the little hitch lock on the trailer was up.
My 3rd stupid life threatening mistake was found. I showed Gary and he couldn't believe it either.
What was I thinking when I loaded up everything: Obviously not much!
I had driving that whole way without the trailer tongue being locked down on the ball. I did have an emergency chain locked in between the trailer and the hitch, but even with that, if the trailer tongue would have popped off at 65 mph - it could have been disastrous with all that traffic!

My heart is racing just reliving this as I am typing it.
My 3 stupid things were:

1. Not tying down the bicycle in the trailer,
  2. Walking out in the Interstate full of speeding traffic, and
  3. Not locking down the trailer tongue to the hitch.

I was just in too much of a hurry!
I am so lucky to be alive and even luckier that I did not cause anyone else harm. It was a true miracle.
I learned many things, mostly to be vigilant about tying and locking everything down. (I will double and triple check those things now)
I think even more than that, I will have a check in my spirit from now on when the traffic is backed up or someone does something I consider brainless: Instead of letting my road rage take over and get all upset, I will remember my extreme lack of judgement (brain-less-ness) and brush with death on the interstate and be more forgiving of others who might also not have made the best choice of decisions that day!

This was certainly an embarrassing story to recount to the tribe, but if it saves one of you doing just one of my stupid things, then it was worth all the the embarrassment.

Take Care - drive safe, ride safe. :)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Larry, you never cease to amaze me.
The magnitude of your successes are, in my opinion, directly correlated with the magnitude of your failures PLUS the applied learning from those failures.
Further, and critically, it's not just about the act of failing, it's about owning the lesson-learned and sharing it with others*.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail-fast
"A fail-fast system is designed to immediately report at its interface any failure or condition that is likely to lead to failure."​

* - although the idea of 'testing the lift' of your Vendetta in a trailer at speed, i.e., not tying it down, isn't something many/most/all of us would attempt.
And while you might be the ONLY person I've ever heard of who intentionally doesn't tie down their bike in a trailer - several have forgotten their seat-pads, seats, computers, water bottles, lights, etc...

[[now for the ribbing]]
One of these days we'll meet and I'll be proud to ride with you...but don't expect me to ride behind you. :)

1happyreader

zen/child method
There is a thread on BROL about dropped bikes on the highway with a post where an unsecured trike was sailed out of a pickups bed.
The power of water and wind are often underestimated.
Class one hurricane starts at 74 mph windspeed.

I am thankful you are whole and that no innocents suffered from this incident.

later,,, bye

Bruce B

Larry, create a check list for your trailer and your cargo. Print it out in a large font and put it in a folder in your vehicle. Refer to it every single time you hitch up the trailer.

Been there! ;)

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Larry, - So glad you are alright!

If the V20 had a CF frame/fork, we'd be selling you a new bike.
This is a good reason for customers to stick to Aluminum frames, and bike makers to switch to CF.

Jim

LarryOz

Just the thought of a carbon fiber Vendetta makes me drool.
And reduce the seat angle down to about 14 degrees? That would be sweet!
Just don't wreck it - ever, or even let it topple over and get a crack in it.
Like Jim said: Bike makers would rather have CF frames - that way they would sell more, since any crash = new bike!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I'm very glad this turned out to be a story that you can tell with a smile on your face. :D

Heck, I didn't even hit a bump - it was all air!

And that's how tornadoes rip roofs off of houses.

(Very high speed means very low pressure, or, heavy things suddenly seem to ignore gravity.)

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
And reduce the seat angle down to about 14 degrees? That would be sweet!
Just don't wreck it - ever, or even let it topple over and get a crack in it.
Like Jim said: Bike makers would rather have CF frames - that way they would sell more, since any crash = new bike!
I rode a carbon frame for years, crashed a few times, never had a problem. It's surprisingly tough. But it's not titanium, of course. And my V rides inside the car with the other people. So no flights down the express way.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Reminds me of a film with Eddy Murphy and Steve Martin

Classic... Pleased you are ok

LarryOz

Reminds me of a film with Eddy Murphy and Steve Martin
That was awesome - Eddie M looks so young!
Yeah it was "kinda" like that - too bad I didn't have my helmet cam on!
Maybe I should just wear it all the time!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry, Thanks for sharing, as it is VERY easy to forget!!!

I have heard MANY MANY stories about bicycles on car roof tops and home garages/ carports, meeting each other with the garage winning, except for one guy with a steel framed bikewinning and a wooden carport, and aluminium roofrack loosing!
I carry my Black Beauty INSIDE the hatchback car!

I agree that Aluminium is a safer frame material to CF!!!

Last edited:
Wow Larry that's crazy. Glad all ended well. Looks like your insert can haul several bikes. I wonder at what point several bikes could produce enough lift to lift the whole insert out.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Go away for 3 days and this is what I miss?

These things are funny when then don't go horribly wrong. Here's to giving you crap about this for years to come.

Personally I find it safer to just drive into the garage with a bike still on the roof. The only obstacle I need to avoid then is Ms. Ratz

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Larry manages to fall off without even being on the bike.

Glad you and the bike are okay. Amazing that all the drivers avoided hitting it.

Did it really lift, or just fall out backwards?

Larry is getting so fast that he will probably be flying his V soon. These bikes really do climb.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Was it the BRIGHT Yellow Vendetta with the BIG polished Aluminium boom that would be a LOT more visible then the Red and black Vendetta!!!!

VenRiderGuy

Larry, your story (glad that all ended well considering the alternatives) reinforces my paranoia about tying things down before I head out with my trailer. Thanks for sharing it with us.
You are indeed ONE LUCKY GUY!

LarryOz

Was it the BRIGHT Yellow Vendetta with the BIG polished Aluminium boom that would be a LOT more visible then the Red and black Vendetta!!!!
No it was the red one (V20) - But, I had the entire boom and fork triangle stripped and powder-coated silver (when I first got it), as I did not really like the black boom look!