Speed difference between a Freerider and either a V20 or S30?

The Brook

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone here has ridden either a Freerider or a Softrider, then upgraded to either a V20 or a S30.

I'm hoping you could give me an approximation of how much faster you became on the new bike.

Thanks
Denis

Suz

Agreed. I see an easy 4-5 mph average improvement with my S30 over the sofrider and I'm not a really strong rider. Another plus is I feel like the S30 requires less energy like ChaleJake said it's sleek and speedy. In my opinion it glides along and I can ride longer on the S30.
I was new to recumbents so moving from the sofrider to the S30 felt like I was laying down flat. However I don't notice that now. When you go from the S30 to the sofrider it feels a little like a tank.

Tuloose

Guru
I have a Freerider, similar to a Sofrider but with high riser handlebars, and Suz nailed it when she called it a tank.
It is difficult to start up, especially on an incline. If I'm at a stoplight and on an incline I sometimes have to walk the bike across the intersection because I cannot get enough momentum from the initial push off.
This is probably due in some part to the extra weight of the front & rear suspension.
Sometimes I wonder why JT felt he had to spec suspension on every bike he designed except for the Vendetta?
It just adds weight, cost & complexity, gives a higher center of gravity and really isn't necessary unless you happen to ride off road trails.
Still, once it's rolling the Freerider is a lot of fun to ride. It's high riser bars give it a swoopy feel carving turns.

Oh, the original question was about speed difference between the Sofrider and a Vendetta or Silvio so back to the topic.
I currently also own a Silvio 1.0 and a Vendetta and I had a Silvio 2.0.
They are all much faster than a Sofrider but then you probably suspected that already.
How much faster?
Well, I don't use a bike computer on my Freerider.
Let's just say lots faster.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
In stock form, my Sofrider V1 is three to four miles per hour slower than my Vendetta 1.5 is, overall.
The Vendetta is a much, much better climber than the Sofrider and is much much faster downhill.

After I modified my Sofrider for better aerodynamics, it was actually 2 miles per hour faster than my Vendetta is on level roads!
However, the Sofrider cannot match the Vendetta when climbing hills.

Bottom line:
My Sofrider is on the trainer indoors; my road bike is the Vendetta.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
In stock form, my Sofrider V1 is three to four miles per hour slower than my Vendetta 1.5 is, overall.
The Vendetta is a much, much better climber than the Sofrider and is much much faster downhill.

After I modified my Sofrider for better aerodynamics, it was actually 2 miles per hour faster than my Vendetta is on level roads!
However, the Sofrider cannot match the Vendetta when climbing hills.

Bottom line:
My Sofrider is on the trainer indoors; my road bike is the Vendetta.
Did you change the bottom bracket height of the Softrider to be a lot higher than the seat height, compared to the Vendetta BB to seat difference?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
fter I modified my Sofrider for better aerodynamics, it was actually 2 miles per hour faster than my Vendetta is on level roads!
If you made the vendetta more aero you would probably be 6mph faster than the softrider. Biggest change you can do is cut down the headrest, change the BB and cut down the cranks. The biggest unforseen fight is not against the bike but the engine. Aero is for all and drag is the enemy here.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LVSiwft3WHGyV8xU2

Aerodynamic modifications:

-Custom-built wood/fiberglass/epoxy resin/aluminum chainstay:
This made the bike very comfortable for me and raised the bottom bracket enough to seriously improve aerodynamics.

-Homebuilt rear wheel covers:
The first prototype covers were cardboard and both the speed and high-speed stability were improved.
These wheel covers are the third set, made of 1/4" foam insulation board, are very light but not really very durable.

-Homebuilt massively reclined seat/neckrest:
This photo was taken after its first outing. The seat pan has since been faired, padded, the seat trimmed away from my legs and the neckrest modified.
On its first ride, I caught a P38 recumbent bicycle after a short, high-speed pursuit and left it when I passed it going uphill.
My low Sofrider seatback is at a lower/shallower angle than is the stock Vendetta seat and is the reason that my Sofrider flies on the flats.

-Five-dollar used road bike drop bar:
This put my arms where I like them... straight out in front of my shoulders.
Power, control, and comfort!

-Over the years, I have tested and removed little fairings on the fork legs, main frame tube, and the rear triangle:
The small improvements in the bicycles' aerodynamics were just noticable, but not good enough for me to want to seriously make any attempt
to make them permanent.
The chainstay and seat made huge differences and were totally worth the effort.
This Sofrider is both extremely comfortable and Vendetta-fast on the flats.

The modified Sofrider convinced me that what my body really was crying out for was a Vendetta.
A nice used V 1.5 became my new road bike a few years ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/0mWQyjyWlsT5gTzP2

I replaced the stock seat for a home built composite seat that is lighter than stock and fits me like a used glove.
See how similar the seating position is on both the Sofrider and the Vendetta?

Last edited:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Oops:
Photobucket now wants 35 dollars a month to allow 3rd party sharing.
Sorry, everyone.

I can upload pictures directly if this is possible.
If not, well, too bad so sad.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yes you can! Limit seems to be around 1MB per photo.
Correct. Every photo I do is direct upload and 1mb seems to limit photos to mobile and overseas friendly speeds with good resolution. Might be time to bump the photo resizing and thread if we can find it. Get ready get set GO!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Correct. Every photo I do is direct upload and 1mb seems to limit photos to mobile and overseas friendly speeds with good resolution. Might be time to bump the photo resizing and thread if we can find it. Get ready get set GO!

That would be good for downunda day ahead types lol. Did I mention technophobia.