Spring Time - Learning To Ride Time

quickbeam

I was a slow learner when I was a 7-year-old struggling to ride a DF, and a slow learner with my Cruzbike 40-plus years later. I didn't know about the checklist when I got my Q, or I would surely have used it. I had watched the CB videos, so I had some clue, but the list would have helped even more.

Back on topic, I agree, this is helpful information. I just think we should be careful how we present it, since we don't want to scare people off needlessly. There definitely is a learning curve, but each person can progress at their own pace.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I just think we should be careful how we present it,

great point.

the learning phase is a whole lot of fun fun fun too. and rather exciting.

nothing negative at all. i would rush home from work to progress my licence a little every day. but i am still working on the mono front and back :)

then again i am obsessed ..........

Rich

Ok. I am hoping y'all might give me some pointers on my starts. I have had my Quest a little over a year and feel pretty comfortable riding, but I took a bike safety class a couple weeks ago and found I really need to work on my low speed handling and on my starts.
I have been practicing since the class on the figure 8's and the starts and am getting much better. I have even been starting up a slight incline and can get going straight most of the time now.
My issue is if I am stopped at an intersection and pointed straight ahead, especially if it is up hill, and I need to get going AND have to turn right as soon as I get going, I am having difficulty. I can keep the bike straight, but cannot handle turning until I have gone about 10 feet straight. This puts me out in the middle of the road which is not acceptable.

Other than just more practice, is there some technique I am missing?
Thanks for all the great pointers.

Robert O

Ok. I am hoping y'all might give me some pointers on my starts. I have had my Quest a little over a year and feel pretty comfortable riding, but I took a bike safety class a couple weeks ago and found I really need to work on my low speed handling and on my starts.
I have been practicing since the class on the figure 8's and the starts and am getting much better. I have even been starting up a slight incline and can get going straight most of the time now.
My issue is if I am stopped at an intersection and pointed straight ahead, especially if it is up hill, and I need to get going AND have to turn right as soon as I get going, I am having difficulty. I can keep the bike straight, but cannot handle turning until I have gone about 10 feet straight. This puts me out in the middle of the road which is not acceptable.

Other than just more practice, is there some technique I am missing?
Thanks for all the great pointers.
Are you riding with clipless pedals? I find that they help a lot with getting the bike moving, because I can pedal a stroke or two one footed until I can find a straight path to get clipped in.

1happyreader

zen/child method
I need to get going AND have to turn right as soon as I get going
1. Are you able to keep pedaling during the turn ?
The only way I can pedal thru a slow speed turn is to sit up ( get my back off the backrest )
and tilt the bike into the turn. a snowmobile turn where I lean to the outside (relative to the bike)
Later,,, bye

Rich

I am clipped in and I can peddle through a low speed turn, but can't seem to do it during a start.
I guess it is just a matter of a lot more practice.

Thanks

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I am clipped in and I can peddle through a low speed turn, but can't seem to do it during a start.
I guess it is just a matter of a lot more practice.

Thanks

Doing figure 8's go as slow as you can prior to the sharp turn at the top of the eight then accelerated; slow down heading into the next turn; and repeat.

skipB

this may take a while . steps one two and three .. a little shaky . but I have been grinning all afternoon

I am really having trouble learning. It is very frustrating! as soon as I get my feet on the pedals, zoom I am going to the right. Also it seems like I am reaching for the pedals but my knees are hitting the bars. Any thoughts?

1happyreader

zen/child method
I am really having trouble learning. It is very frustrating! as soon as I get my feet on the pedals, zoom I am going to the right. Also it seems like I am reaching for the pedals but my knees are hitting the bars. Any thoughts?
We know you are on a Silvio,
If possible do you have access to a trainer so you can experiment with fitting the initial setup for your body ?
I think Robert has a video and I hope there are instructions in the assembly pdf on the Silvio page.

ratz

We know you are on a Silvio,
If possible do you have access to a trainer so you can experiment with fitting the initial setup for your body ?
I think Robert has a video and I hope there are instructions in the assembly pdf on the Silvio page.

I was thinking the same thing; since this is a new to you Silvio and the reach seems long,
you might need to check the initial measurement. Most beginner like the bike boom set too short;
too long is hard for even the experienced to ride.

See this document; the very last page (10) has the simple notes on computing and setting the boom length.
http://cruzbike.com/DOWNLOADS/SilvioAssemblyNotesV5.2.pdf

The video is here; it's for a V20 but it's the same process.

Rishi@Cruzbike

Hello, I'm still very much in the learning stage. I have followed all the instructions and realized that the learning curve is steepest in the beginning and then it a matter of putting in the miles to engrave it to muscle memory.
Today I found myself pushing with right leg --- pushing with left hand and pushing with left leg --- pushing with right hand. It works, kind of. I corrected myself and kept going. Something of that dynamics is wrong but I'm unable to figure out what. Hopefully someone here will be able to explain it.

Learning on a Sofrider V2.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Hello, I'm still very much in the learning stage. I have followed all the instructions and realized that the learning curve is steepest in the beginning and then it a matter of putting in the miles to engrave it to muscle memory.
Today I found myself pushing with right leg --- pushing with left hand and pushing with left leg --- pushing with right hand. It works, kind of. I corrected myself and kept going. Something of that dynamics is wrong but I'm unable to figure out what. Hopefully someone here will be able to explain it.

Learning on a Sofrider V2.

Learned on a Sofrider V1

Pushing the left pedal away from you, you counter that by pushing the right hand grip away from you;
pushing the right pedal away from you, you counter that by pushing the left hand grip away from you.
This works, but gets tiring pretty fast... and you're doing it right.

Another, more natural and much more fatiguing method:
pushing the left pedal away, you pull the left hand grip toward you;
pushing the right pedal away, you pull the right hand grip toward you.

The actual method is the recommended method:
With the palms of your hands on the hand grips, or with the grips resting lightly in your opened palms,
you practice pedaling gently, teaching your legs and your core how to both pedal and steer.

As you progress, you'll learn to rock your bike back and forth to counter your pedal steering,
you'll learn how to use your hips, your head (the weight of your head), your shoulders and even
how your feet 'scrape' your pedals... all contribute to both steering your bike and to pedaling efficiency.

But first, practice the 'open palm' method.

Good luck!

Rishi@Cruzbike

MrSteve said:
The actual method is the recommended method:
With the palms of your hands on the hand grips, or with the grips resting lightly in your opened palms,
you practice pedaling gently, teaching your legs and your core how to both pedal and steer.

I am getting there but I needed you to put words to what I was intuitively understanding:)
Your explanation also clears the what I had already grasped.

MrSteve said:
As you progress, you'll learn to rock your bike back and forth to counter your pedal steering,
you'll learn how to use your hips, your head (the weight of your head), your shoulders and even
how your feet 'scrape' your pedals... all contribute to both steering your bike and to pedaling efficiency.

It's this above bit that takes time and but I now believe ultimately very much worth the effort.:D

TYVM MrSteve:cool:

SamP

Guru
Another, more natural and much more fatiguing method:
pushing the left pedal away, you pull the left hand grip toward you;
pushing the right pedal away, you pull the right hand grip toward you.

What I found was that I had a much harder time controlling the amount of force I was applying when pulling than pushing on the handlebars. I guess that's true for most, hence the advice to start out open palms on the handlebar grips.

Of course you can do both, pulling and pushing, to get maximum force. But most of the time you want your legs to apply force smoothly so there is very little residual pedal-induced forces on the steering for your arms to cancel out.

First ride on the bike path went 13 miles. It was exhausting, I can do it but it takes work. I do much better when I have my head on the headrest and I am relaxed. Still there was a stiff crosswind and I veered off course several times when I wasn't concentrating. I have to work on the whole steering with your feet. I can't seem to get that as I am holding on to the handlebars for dear life. At least I can ride it. Wish I could be ready for my across state trip at the end of June. I am don't think I will be at this point but will continue to plug away at it.

1happyreader

zen/child method
I have to work on the whole steering with your feet. I can't seem to get that as I am holding on to the handlebars for dear life.
Never have understood the steering with your feet ?? wasn't that step just to prove that it's hard to do and you can get over the fear of pedaling ?
Ride the whole bike, you know relaxed works better.
If palms only steering is too much try raising some of your fingers.
Point your index fingers down the road , it raises your sight line and for me eliminates over-steering and micro steering .
Raise 2 or 3 of your little fingers , it lets you feel what the steering is doing and if you really need to fight it.
smile, drop those shoulders, and find your own way to enjoy !
later,,, bye

ratz

Never have understood the steering with your feet ?? wasn't that step just to prove that it's hard to do and you can get over the fear of pedaling ?

It is; you don't really steer with your feet you steer by leaning the bike left and right with your wait. Except on a CB you feet have weight that then imparts force into the turning motion and you need to counter that with the "Balance" in your pedal stroke or your hands, head, shoulders.

Open palms definitely the least exhausting approach which gets you the most time on the bike to learn. But end of the day from watching people learn (we had another guy 70 years old over this past weekend) the Figures eight are what really get most people over the hurdle; it's surprisingly hard to steer a bike around a figure 8; and while you focus on steering that stupid 8 shaped line; your brain lets go every so slightly on the mbb part you just ride the bike and then the learning accelerates. In a straight line it's too each to over think everything because there's not enough other stuff to do. Crazy 8 for the win; your mileage may very but it will be more comfortable without a doubt. :)