SRAM 11-speed 11-36 cassette for double chainrings?

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Rick, Lief, my apologies to your wives don't' give them my email.
Bob - she already knows "Bob from Minnesota" and has all sorts of associations to choose from.
Lucky for you she's not tech-savvy and probably doesn't know how to look you up here...probably.

OK so I've been rooting around and studying hubs. Thanks ratz for getting me started. Thinking that I want to go with a good quality but moderately priced hub set. From what I can tell, the Shimano 105s and the DT Swiss 350s are probably my best options. ratz mentioned that he has good performance from the DTs. Anyone got any thoughts on how they compare? Or are there any other comparable hubs I should also look at?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The 350 is usually compare to the Ultegra 6700

Advantage 350 versus 105 for weight capacity; and for having also having a Straight Pull version for both front and back for the same price which doubles the number of RIMs you can pick from. Cavet being straight pull limits your max spokes to 24/28 spokes front and back respectively.

IF you look in that family then ebay is your friend because you can get DT Hubs of even better quality on RIM from DT and Others new and used for reasonable so for trying things that has huge upside as you save 30-50%

examples
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-Tr...786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541e3fae82

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DT-Swis...565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4e2102e5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-R-...535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a5019c10f

And if you are willing to swap out the free hub body (easy usually runs about $30) then you can find interesting things link this:
Clydsdale wheel on Chris King hubs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DT-Swis...142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541e4ca44e

All of that was a quick scan of only one product family took about 10 minutes. Imagine what's out there if you are obsessive

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I can't keep up with Ratz on the knowledge but my LBS built my velocity deep v rims with DT Swiss hubs 370 (~5 yrs ago) they run on my commuter, I've had them rebuilt 1x and they have about 15K gritty wet Seattle miles on them. Still in good shape.

Probably need a rebuild about now though.

Ifan Payne

Tiltmanic has a Sugino double crank 74 BCD and 130 BCD ($500 ) with 27 T and 50 T Q ring 10% oval Chain-rings, and a 11 to 36 10 speed cassette on his new S30, which gives a 19.7" to 119" gear range, and at 92 cadence low range up to 18.3 kph (11 mph) , and 52 kph (33 mph) in high range. The crank needs to be moved sideways approx 5 mm to miss the BB clamp.

I am intrigued by this set up. Does anyone know what the bcd's are and where he sourced the q-rings and the cranks? They must have been bought separately.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Act
I am intrigued by this set up. Does anyone know what the bcd's are and where he sourced the q-rings and the cranks? They must have been bought separately.
Actually, it has an 11-40 rear (aftermarket 40 tooth sprocket and 16t).
Not all gear combos work (big-big is quite literally impossible), but I get 19 out of 20 gears and am generally quite pleased with the outcome.
It is quite fiddly. I'd recommend getting regular q-rings for the 50t and not the qxl, since the qxl causes some slight chain rub when in the smaller chainwheel.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Not all gear combos work (big-big is quite literally impossible)

Because the chain is too short or some other reason?

If it's because the chain is too short, it is possible, you'll just be really unhappy if you hit it as it will rip off your rear derailleur. :(

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I use a Shimano MTB long cage rear deraileur (SLX) and its max tooth wrap (1/2 count of the front and rear sprockets) MAX range change is 22.5 teeth, but the change big/big to small/small is (40+ 50)/2 - (27+11)/2 = 45-19 = 26 which is too much for derailleur, but if changing from low range at 16 kph (10 mph) to high range then the change is (27+19)/2 - (50+32)/2 = 23-41 = 18 which is OK

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I ran a set of wheels I had build with HED Belgium rims and the DT Swiss 350's they were a sweet set of wheels. Sadly I sold them with another bike (mistake) and now am running some American Classics.

If you run too short a chain the results if you accidentally shift wrong will be... not pretty. Thats putting it lightly. Everything I set up is capable of running big/big. Small small is less of a worry but still if the DR wraps the chain over itself the results can be bad.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Because the chain is too short or some other reason?

If it's because the chain is too short, it is possible, you'll just be really unhappy if you hit it as it will rip off your rear derailleur. :(
The chain is too short. As in cannot even climb up into the gear. Making it long enough involves having chain slack in most gears; unacceptable.
I'm fairly certain it wouldn't rip the derailleur off-- it will happily go at that angle, but there isn't enough chain to wrap around both the large chainwheel and the large cog. The chain would have to break or the cog or the chainwheel.

I'm not worried about it, but I'll happily admit it is funky and not for everybody (closer chain spacing on the front would eliminate the problem: 50<->27 is a 23 tooth jump on its own, and the 11-40 cassette is a 29 tooth jump on its own... There are about zero derailleurs that I know about that will handle 52 tooth chain wrap).

That reminds me. Part of the reason that I'm able to do this at all is because I replaced the 11 tooth (bottom) chain follower on the derailleur with a 13t follower. That gave me just a bit more capacity (2 teeth) on the derailleur. It was also cheap and easy to do.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Last time I was looking at wheels; Reynolds was using DT Swiss hubs for most of there wheels; they had some serious problems that past years high prices and middling to average reviews on their road wheels. Every time I find a used set the owner or the shop way over valued the wheels. I know they are now going through a rebirth; but I'm kind of doing the wait and see with them. Their Time Trial 650 size wheels are still really popular but is that because everyone sees everyone else riding them or because they are better? With a lot of TT suddenly moving to 700c that's muddying the water.

Just following up on my notes from the past. I've put Reynolds back on my list of good stuff. The 2015 stuff really hits the mark and solves my concerns. To the point that our new wheels are in fact 2015 reynolds.

Thought it was important to double back up and update this thread.