SRAM Road and MTB Component Compatibility - S40 Build

3WHELZ

Guru
I am contemplating an S40 build. I notice that the full build specs for the S40 include Apex (Road) and GX (MTB) components. There has debate on the other bike forums regarding the compatibility between the two when it comes to precise shifting. Does anyone have experience in combining the two. Specifically, can you mix GX derailleurs and a cassette with Apex DoubleTap Controls (shifters). The GX cassette has a wide range from 10-42t! That may be overkill, but does present an interesting option.

LMT

Yes you can, the only thing that does not work is a SRAM shifter with a Shimano mech or vice versa because the pull ration is different.

When I had my Optima Baron I ran a SRAM Force mech with a X9 shifter without any issues.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yah, I'm running SRAM Rival 22 brifters and a GX 10sp rear D (on an 11sp cluster). They have the same ratios, work perfectly.

Jeremy S

Dude
I have also read that for 11 speed at least, the SRAM mountain vs. road derailleurs and shift controls have slightly different pull ratios, so mixing those will not work quite right. Look for "exact actuation" versus "x-actuation" branding. If you want 11 speeds, brifters and a 42 tooth cog, I suggest using the Apex 1 long cage RD and brifter. I'm guessing that the stock S40 is 10 speed so it may not have the pull ratio issue.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I have also read that for 11 speed at least, the SRAM mountain vs. road derailleurs and shift controls have slightly different pull ratios, so mixing those will not work quite right. Look for "exact actuation" versus "x-actuation" branding.

that +1

If you want 11 speeds, brifters and a 42 tooth cog, I suggest using the Apex 1 long cage RD and brifter. I'm guessing that the stock S40 is 10 speed so it may not have the pull ratio issue.

With the SRAM 1x derailleurs you can't use a double; there's no pivot aka parallelogram.

The only one you can mix and match any longer in the current product line is the GX, X0,XX 2x10 Exact-Actuation with the 22 gear Exact Actuation brifters. This only matters for gearing > 32T when you need a long cage derailleur. You can make it work but you'll need a longer B screw to make the 11-speed cassette work. You can try and get an X9 to work too but that was more suited for the 10speed. That said the X0 and XX are splendid 11-speed derailleur long b-screw swap out not withstanding.

It looks like the days of mixing and matching mountain and road stuff are almost over. But that x-shifter electric stuff might be one way to solve it. The other way is to get a ratio adapter from Jtek which is very reliable for solve these combinations. You would what the Shiftmate 9. http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-9/ That would allow you to use Apex<-->Red brifters with a 1x11 setup and a 10-42 cassette.... When I get around to building an S40 that's how I'm doing it. Eagle + Brifters :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Aha, good to know.
indeed you should have seen the one I bent. SRAM let me return it but they looked down their nose at me when I told them the really should use more plain language to splain this stuff to lucy.

Jeremy S

Dude
You might be able to use Rival 22 brifters, Rival 22 FD (or Apex if you don't care about Yaw), and the GX 2x11 RD with pull rate adapter.

On my V20 I have the GX 2x11 Long rear 10-42 and a Force 22 Yaw front paired with GX 2x11 X-Actuation trigger shifters.
The low gears allow me to spin up the steep hills here in south-west Ohio. Of course the JTek would be required if brifters are desired, but I'm pretty satisfied with my cockpit.
2-ergon-gp5-grips-png.2965

super slim

Zen MBB Master
that +1

With the SRAM 1x derailleurs you can't use a double; there's no pivot aka parallelogram.

The only one you can mix and match any longer in the current product line is the GX, X0,XX 2x10 Exact-Actuation with the 22 gear Exact Actuation brifters. This only matters for gearing > 32T when you need a long cage derailleur. You can make it work but you'll need a longer B screw to make the 11-speed cassette work. You can try and get an X9 to work too but that was more suited for the 10speed. That said the X0 and XX are splendid 11-speed derailleur long b-screw swap out not withstanding.

It looks like the days of mixing and matching mountain and road stuff are almost over. But that x-shifter electric stuff might be one way to solve it. The other way is to get a ratio adapter from Jtek which is very reliable for solve these combinations. You would what the Shiftmate 9. http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-9/ That would allow you to use Apex<-->Red brifters with a 1x11 setup and a 10-42 cassette.... When I get around to building an S40 that's how I'm doing it. Eagle + Brifters :)
Being a dedicated Shimano man, I thought they were better than SRAM, but there is now 5 different derailleur cable pull ratios, just to get MORE MONEY, as new derailleurs AND shifters are required to upgrade from 10 to 11 speed AND MTB is now totally different to Road, in 10 and 11 speed!!!

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yah, that's why I backed Xshifter. No more ratios to deal with...no more brifters or twists. Should be a far cleaner cockpit.

Xshifter backer +1 (let's see when it comes good aulde Europe)
- but had to find out that the Rival 1x11 brifter will not work with the GX 1x11 derailleur.
11 shifts cover 10 sprockets, making lots of noise.
Shimano 11-40 cassette was not the reason.
I mounted the Apex derailleur and it worked.
:)LBS took back the GX derailleur.
(Start of modern poetry)
After reading the comments here I get the feeling
I am not the only one
running into not the only kind of
this trouble...:mad:
And playing around with words like this
"exact actuation" versus "x-actuation"
really don't
"splain this stuff to lucy"
(End of modern poetry)

Good riding to all

Last edited:
I've used SRAM for many years. Compatibility between road and MTB ended with 10-speed, which is why I'm still using 10-speed. To get the big range cassettes you need to use MTB controls, which don't fit on road handlebars. I just picked up a Soma Gator bar which would allow you to build out a S40 with 10-42 or 10-50 using a trigger shifter. I just threw the photos over in this thread: http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/the-x01-eagle-has-landed.11665/#post-135795

victorian cycle

My latest build has 1×11 Apex 1 Shifters with a GX Horizon 1×11 Derailleur with large cage and it doesn't work. Tried a 42 chainring and a 38 chainring also tried different size chains and every mm of the B screw threaded in and out. It will either go into the top ten or lower 10 of the 10×42 cassette. Just ordered an Apex 1 (1×11) large cage derailleur. The thing is Sram advertises the GX Horizon derailleur as compatible with 1×11 but doesn't tell you only for Mtn Bike drivetrains.