Sram Yaw clamp-on adaptor

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Skipping the long and winding explanation for what my perfervid little brain is considering,

1) does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of whether a Yaw FD will actually work well using one of sram's clamp on adaptors? (no braze-on mount on Sofrider)

2) if Yaw will work using the clamp on adaptor, and if I can't find a 20 speed Yaw at a reasonable price, will one of the new Yaw 22's work with a 10 speed cassette? In other words, can I limit the travel so it will work?

Crazy questions for the Sofrider forum, I know :-(

KM

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Kline, I have no answer for question one, perhaps "Inspector Gadget" :D may know that one.

The Yaw 22 will work with a compact double crankset. 10 or 11 speed cassette does not matter and has no bearing on compatibility. You will need the Sram Yaw FD to to be compatible with your left brifter, which needs to be a Sram Double Tap - Apex, Rival, Force, or Red 2 speed .

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
It works. The Force 22 Yaw is the same and it's dirt cheap by comparison $45. I have a braze-on one (which came off of mrs ratz's silvio) installed on the Quickr which has the same clamp as the softrider if I recall correctly. Works much better than the Rival I previously added.

Just make sure you watch the videos on how to install it. It's just different than a traditional derailleur, I have to stop and go slow each time I install one.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
It's just different than a traditional derailleur, I have to stop and go slow each time I install one.
I must agree, the installation instructions that come with the Yaw are badly written, overly complex, and confusing for what is really one of the easiest FD's to setup.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Rick and Bob, thank you.
Shifters will be Sram bar end 10spd R2C that i lucked up on and got new on ebay at a very good price.... Sold by a bike shop as 'take offs' from a new bike to upgrade, i'm assuming to 11spd. So, should be ok there if i decide to make that switch. This set up is a bit of a Frankenstein but works well, maybe i should leave well enough alone!
I'm not looking forward to setting up the yaw fd, i set one up before and it took what seemed like 40 forevers. But, once set up, it was a joy.
I used it on a 130 bcd crankset, it worked well except for not being able to get it to totally cross chain because in big-big the chain would rub the bottom of the cage. I try not to cross chain anyway.
Thanks again!